Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hard Drive Problem

jakele_x
187 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 01, 2013 10:45 |  #1

What kind of hard drive should I buy for my Mac? The one I had last time was WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0, but it ended up failed 3 times and in result I lost over 12,000 raw photos and over 5,000 raw video footages. I need something more reliable but not too expensive.

5D Mrk II | T2i gripped | EF-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5 IS | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 70-200mm f/4 L
Check Out My Photos flickr (external link)
My gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 01, 2013 10:53 |  #2

Whatever you buy, make sure you get two.

Any hard drive will eventually fail, so you should always have a backup.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,069 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 01, 2013 10:57 |  #3

jakele_x wrote in post #15430880 (external link)
What kind of hard drive should I buy for my Mac? The one I had last time was WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0, but it ended up failed 3 times and in result I lost over 12,000 raw photos and over 5,000 raw video footages. I need something more reliable but not too expensive.

Everything fails sooner or later. The fact that you lost images means you didn't have a backup. "Backup" has been the key to digital data processing since Grace Hopper found a cockroach in UNIVAC and said, "I found a bug in the computer!"

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,722 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 01, 2013 11:22 |  #4

RDKirk wrote in post #15430918 (external link)
Everything fails sooner or later. The fact that you lost images means you didn't have a backup. "Backup" has been the key to digital data processing since Grace Hopper found a cockroach in UNIVAC and said, "I found a bug in the computer!"

Actually, in 1947 she was involved in the Harvard University Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator and (but not present) a moth was found.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 01, 2013 11:29 |  #5

Heath wrote in post #15430899 (external link)

At least one backup. Two is best, with one offsite. Often when folks have a home fire, one of the first comments is "we lost all our family photos." Computers are also a theft item.

Jim

RDKirk
13,069 posts
Joined May 2004

Jan 01, 2013 11:40 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #15431007 (external link)
Actually, in 1947 she was involved in the Harvard University Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator and (but not present) a moth was found.

Some myths deserve to be maintained.

tedyun
56 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 01, 2013 12:02 |  #7

I have learned this the hard way, with a few close calls. My main computer was stolen about 10 yrs ago, but fortunately I had backed up my photo collection onto DVDs. Since then I have maintained a backup collection of my photo, video and other important media on a separate drive. One of my backup drives has physically failed too.

I had been trying to burn everything onto DVDs, but the price of external drives are ridiculously cheap these days. On Black Friday, I got a 2TB WD USB drive for $60. Cloud storage is also very reasonable and I am using Crashplan. I think jemanner nailed it by saying 2 onsite copies and a third offsite.

jemanner wrote in post #15431033 (external link)
At least one backup. Two is best, with one offsite. Often when folks have a home fire, one of the first comments is "we lost all our family photos." Computers are also a theft item.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 01, 2013 12:11 |  #8

Heath wrote in post #15430899 (external link)

The right question at first would be "What is the best way I back up my digital data?"

Tedyun: Cloud storage is also very reasonable and I am using Crashplan. I think jemanner nailed it by saying 2 onsite copies and a third offsite.Cloud will prove to be that right Way of future. Everything else needs Visa and two crossing fingures all the time!

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,722 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 01, 2013 12:14 |  #9

samsen wrote in post #15431144 (external link)
The right question at first would be "What is the best way I back up my digital data?"

Cloud storage is also very reasonable and I am using Crashplan. I think jemanner nailed it by saying 2 onsite copies and a third offsite.

Cloud will prove to be that right Way of future. Everything else needs Visa and two crossing fingures all the time!

Don't bet on Cloud exclusively...a number of on-line data storage companies vanished overnight in the past 3 years, and a number of large very well companies have decided to exit the cloud storage business!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 01, 2013 12:18 |  #10

If you get WD drives it needs to be the black drives... Or velociraptor

Early Adopter

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 01, 2013 12:21 |  #11

samsen wrote in post #15431144 (external link)

Cloud storage is also very reasonable and I am using Crashplan. I think jemanner nailed it by saying 2 onsite copies and a third offsite.

Cloud will prove to be that right Way of future. Everything else needs Visa and two crossing fingures all the time!

I purchased my backblaze account in October 2011. Of 902GB (742GB of images), I have 259GB remaining to backup.

The reality is that I probably do not need to backup all the images as a lot of them are crap. That said, I have been shooting timelapses over the holiday break and shot about 120GB of images.

While I agree offsite backup is important, I cannot help but wonder how viable of an option this is for photographers.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

RDKirk
13,069 posts
Joined May 2004

Jan 01, 2013 12:23 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #15431151 (external link)
Don't bet on Cloud exclusively...a number of on-line data storage companies vanished overnight in the past 3 years, and a number of large very well companies have decided to exit the cloud storage business!

The cloud is not yet a full backup solution for people who have large amounts of data (such as photographers). It would take me literally weeks of downloading to recover all my data from the cloud if I had a full data loss.

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 01, 2013 12:26 |  #13

Heath wrote in post #15431171 (external link)
I purchased my backblaze account in October 2011. Of 902GB (742GB of images), I have 259GB remaining to backup.

The reality is that I probably do not need to backup all the images as a lot of them are crap. That said, I have been shooting timelapses over the holiday break and shot about 120GB of images.

While I agree offsite backup is important, I cannot help but wonder how viable of an option this is for photographers.

i purchased my crashplan account on august 3rd. Since that time i've uploaded 3.7TB. The weddings i shoot on the weekend are around 100-150gbs each and they're usually uploaded completely within the week. Absolutely a viable option.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 01, 2013 12:27 |  #14

RDKirk wrote in post #15431178 (external link)
The cloud is not yet a full backup solution for people who have large amounts of data (such as photographers). It would take me literally weeks of downloading to recover all my data from the cloud if I had a full data loss.

or you could have them mail you a drive.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

RDKirk
13,069 posts
Joined May 2004

Jan 01, 2013 12:27 |  #15

Heath wrote in post #15431171 (external link)

It was viable enough for the New Orleans VA hospital. Just prior to being struck by Katrina, they downloaded their patient database to hard drives, evacuated it to the VA hospital in Houston TX, and put it back on line so that patient records would be available wherever the patients evacuated to.

With 3 and 4 terabyte drives available, rotating hard drives and keeping one off site is not a tremendous problem.

To be honest, though, it's probably satisfactory for 99.44% of possibilities just to keep one drive physically separated, even if in the same house.

sponsored links

4,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hard Drive Problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.