Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 08:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazed by Costco's Printing

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 02, 2013 08:42 |  #1

I used Costco's printing services for the first time last week and was amazed by the prints. I normally used Walgreens (I know they suck, but for small wall collage stuff it worked), I had used Shutterfly one time (had 101 free 4x6's). I wanted to do a collage of my best landscapes in our living room, I started by pricing out Walgreens 11x14's but there was no way I was gonna be able to print everything I wanted at their price ($9.99). I then priced out Mpix and Bay, both were much better in pricing with good shipping options. However someone said I should check out Costco first. At $2.99 for a 11x14 I figured I could not go wrong.

So my order consisted of 26 prints ranging from 5x7 to 20x30 (was only $9.99). My total was only $65.00 for the entire order and was ready the next day.

Got them home and was amazed by the quality even of the 20x30. I shoot with a T3 and kit lens so I was not sure how something this large would turn out. And all the others looked so much better in the larger sizes compared to some of the smaller copies I had made in the past. I edit on a laptop with no calibration, I check off the color correct box when uploading as well.

All I can say is if you have a Costco near by and have not tried them your missing out. It has opened a whole new world of printing for me.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,920 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 02, 2013 08:50 |  #2

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15434428 (external link)
I used Costco's printing services for the first time last week and was amazed by the prints.

I keep telling you guys! ; )

At $2.99 for a 11x14 ...

Same price for a 12 X 18", & you can put a lot of 5 X 7"s on one if you're willing to cut them out after.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 02, 2013 08:54 |  #3

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15434474 (external link)
I keep telling you guys! ; ) Same price for a 12 X 18", & you can put a lot of 5 X 7"s on one if you're willing to cut them out after.

Yup you do and I listened this time :lol:

Did not think about placing smaller images on a larger sheet via photoshop or similar, Thanks for that. There smaller stuff 4x6, 5x7's are about the same as Walgreens but much better quality. Yup and had a few 12x18's done as well. Even a few 8x8's and 12x12's. I like square prints :) Tons of options amazing prices and quality

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,525 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 02, 2013 09:25 |  #4

How does their process work, do you drop of a disc and come back, or do they have kiosks where you can plug in a card, select, crop, etc?

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

SullyMass
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2013 09:28 |  #5

bsmotril wrote in post #15434609 (external link)
How does their process work, do you drop of a disc and come back, or do they have kiosks where you can plug in a card, select, crop, etc?

In the past, I've sent digitals via the Costco website. So far, I've only done small prints 4x6, 5x7, and one 8x10 and I have to say I was very pleased with both the price and the print quality. I'm hoping to send over some larger prints.

5D III | 7D | 450D - 50mm f/1.4 | 24-105L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 02, 2013 09:30 |  #6

bsmotril wrote in post #15434609 (external link)

Not sure, I did it all at 2am while in my PJ's watching a movie lol. Did all my editing and cropping via lightroom then exported and uploaded via Costco's website (you will need your Costco card number to complete). When I picked them up I did not see any Kiosks like Walgreens has.

I prefer to do all that from home, then just walk in and pick up no matter where I am printing.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2013 09:35 |  #7

My closest Costco is 50 miles away...

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

SullyMass
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2013 09:45 |  #8

CameraMan wrote in post #15434639 (external link)

They offer shipping.

5D III | 7D | 450D - 50mm f/1.4 | 24-105L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 02, 2013 09:59 |  #9

CameraMan wrote in post #15434639 (external link)

Mine too.

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 02, 2013 10:03 |  #10

Kronie wrote in post #15434717 (external link)
Mine too.

They'll offer shipping to you too!

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 02, 2013 10:13 |  #11

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15434737 (external link)
They'll offer shipping to you too!

No they dont actually, I am not a member.

Lately I have been using EZ Prints for my photos. I was started using them for Pano's but they are the cheapest out there (Well, not cheaper then Costco) They have an ICC profile to soft proof and the prints look just as good as other online labs like Mpix or Costco.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 02, 2013 10:15 as a reply to  @ Kronie's post |  #12

I use Costco almost exclusively now. Tried Mpix, Shutterfly, Snapfish, and another lab similar to Mpix (can't remember the name).

Very nice work, quick, and a 15-minute drive for me.

The only issue I have with Costco, is... different printers for 4X6's and for larger prints, and they come out with slightly different tints. I guess I could download the different profiles for each printer, but I'm not real savvy about that kind of thing.

Hey, I think this is the first time in my life I've typed the word "savvy." :lol:

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

SullyMass
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2013 10:25 |  #13

LV Moose wrote in post #15434778 (external link)
Hey, I think this is the first time in my life I've typed the word "savvy." :lol:

Liberating? ;)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 02, 2013 10:27 |  #14

SullyMass wrote in post #15434808 (external link)
Liberating? ;)

Almost orgasmic!

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

SullyMass
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2013 10:30 |  #15

Kronie wrote in post #15434770 (external link)
No they dont actually, I am not a member.

Lately I have been using EZ Prints for my photos. I was started using them for Pano's but they are the cheapest out there (Well, not cheaper then Costco) They have an ICC profile to soft proof and the prints look just as good as other online labs like Mpix or Costco.

For what it's worth, I just created an account on the Costco Photo site and when it came time to enter in my Costco Membership #, I entered 12 zeros and my phone number. I was then able to select Mail option and enter the address. Whether or not the membership # is crossed references behind the scenes during the order process is TBD, might be worth a try?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

6,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazed by Costco's Printing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.