Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 01:45
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is there really such a thing as the Sigma quality control lottery?"
Yes, you buy a Sigma and take your chances.
26.9%
NO, it is just stories by a few disgruntled people.
23.1%
No more than any other product.
42.3%
Don't take a chance buy the Canon
7.7%

95 voters, 104 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the 3rd party QC lottery fact or fiction?

alazgr8
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 07, 2013 21:29 |  #31

No argument here, I'm sure all manufacturers have some QC problems. I was just reading a thread here on the POPTN about how the nifty fifty has a nasty little reputation for the mount screws backing out, to the point where you can't get the lens off the body. -rick

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1263715

uOpt wrote in post #15458665 (external link)
It's not just third party.

Canon's 50mm f/1.4 also comes out very random. And many break later, which at least the equivalent Sigma does not.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

sponsored links
HelenOster
That's me!
4,509 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 09, 2013 12:15 |  #32

As many of you know, at Adorama we have been running a pilot project for a few months where we've carried out testing on Sigma lenses prior to shipping out. While it cannot be 100% guaranteed that both the lens and body might still need to go off together to Sigma for re-calibrating, we now have clear data regarding numbers that we have found that we felt were not good enough.

Sigma has looked over our results, and has asked us to start collecting additional data from customers.

I've had the go ahead from Pekka to get assistance from POTN members and will be starting a new thread tomorrow to enable us to do this.

This is what I'm going to be asking:

DATE OF PURCHASE:

SIGMA LENS MODEL:

SERIAL NUMBER OF LENS:

CAMERA(S) USED:

THE EXACT ISSUE WITH THE LENS:

Thank you in advance for your help.

Helen@adorama.com (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 09, 2013 13:17 |  #33

^^^Wow!

My Gear

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,205 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2013 13:21 |  #34

HelenOster wrote in post #15466357 (external link)
As many of you know, at Adorama we have been running a pilot project for a few months where we've carried out testing on Sigma lenses prior to shipping out. While it cannot be 100% guaranteed that both the lens and body might still need to go off together to Sigma for re-calibrating, we now have clear data regarding numbers that we have found that we felt were not good enough.

Sigma has looked over our results, and has asked us to start collecting additional data from customers.

I've had the go ahead from Pekka to get assistance from POTN members and will be starting a new thread tomorrow to enable us to do this.

Helen@adorama.com (external link)

Wow Helen, talk about being proactive and going above and beyond what is expected from a retailer. My hats off to you and Adorama.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,812 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 09, 2013 14:10 |  #35

The 100-400 is a good lens, albeit very dated now. It has the known dust sucking feature, and eventually, whatever is inside the push/pull, along with the locking ring, will give up the ghost. You will end up with little black pieces that fall apart and out of the lens. Happens on a lot of them.... IS is old too, maybe 2 stops if you are lucky.

The Sigma 50-500 is sharper at 500mm wide open than the Canon at 400mm, but the Sigma at 400mm is a tiny bit less sharp. It has other features though like macro mode at 200mm or so, much better IS, and a wider range.

I have tested 4 100-400Ls against the Sigma, and my original 100-400L that I had before getting the 50-500 was the only one that beat out the Sigma, in all other 3 cases, the Sigma was the winner for IQ. I really wanted to go back to the slightly smaller lighter 100-400L for transport reasons, but couldn't ever do it. Now I have a Pelican case, and the Sigma fits there nicely, transport issue solved!

Pics from the 50-500 on the 7D from this pic onwards, and many others in the gallery too.

http://teamspeed.smugm​ug.com …3b#!i=867851193​&k=Tr3JL4g (external link)

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Animals/In-the-Wild-Yonder/i-VJrTJpR/0/X2/7D1_7096-X2.jpg

One of several sporting shots at ISO 12800, which you need if you shoot indoor sports with this lens:
IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Sports/Mad-Ants-Basketball/i-T3Kw7wg/0/X2/BIG_1295-X2.jpg
IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Sports/Mad-Ants-Basketball/i-w2ftc37/0/X2/BIG_1275-X2.jpg

That all being said, I had to send my 50 1.4 into Sigma along with a host of test shots showing the issue. Even +20 on a body that had MFA couldn't bring it back to life. They calibrated it and I am now very happy with its performance.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Mr ­ Incognito
82 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 09, 2013 14:42 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #36

that's great news helen. my experience with adorama has always been very positive. can't wait to see the new thread. i'll definitely subscribe to follow the progress.

5Dc, 50D, 17-40L, 40 pancake, Nifty 50, 85 1.8, @HorusBennu C-2540TM LX-3, CarrySpeed FS-Slim F-1

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 09, 2013 15:36 |  #37

Tc202 wrote in post #15451889 (external link)
I would buy the canon 100-400. You will not regret that lens at all. It is sharp and has pretty fast focus. I personally loved the push/ pull design.

true, the 100-400 is sharper with faster AF than the Sigma 150-500 and Sigma 50-500. The push pull makes it easier to zoom in for sports and wildlife.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 09, 2013 15:37 |  #38

watt100 wrote in post #15467275 (external link)
true, the 100-400 is sharper with faster AF than the Sigma 150-500 and Sigma 50-500. The push pull makes it easier to zoom in for sports and wildlife.

i'm really lost as to why people dislike the push-pull...i use my 150-500OS as a push pull by just grabbing the far end of the lens...it's so much easier/quicker than using the zoom ring..

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the 3rd party QC lottery fact or fiction?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.