Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 17, 2013 11:14 |  #661

LV Moose wrote in post #15500378 (external link)
Overall, I'm happy with Adorama: I've had no problems with orders or cancellations; I love the web site, prices, choices, and so on; I appreciate your presence here, and you dealing with our issues. And I'm very happy with Steve Chill, who I've dealt with on my last two orders.

Appreciate your understanding - and I've copied your great feedback about Steve over to him - and to his manager. Thank you

sponsored links
MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 17, 2013 11:36 |  #662

I just got off the phone with Canon's Chesapeake location and reported the one serial # as stolen. Unfortunately, they scrapped the other sticker off and so it's impossible to know what it was. Included are photos I took this morning of the tags or lack there of. You can see the indent in the box where they scrapped the sticker off. That was actually the first one I received. The second box still had the sticker on it.

-Jalal

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 17, 2013 11:36 |  #663

Buylongterm wrote in post #15467871 (external link)
Believe it or not this happens all the time. I have stories on my website from members who have ordered equipment from amazon and it's filled with rocks and othet crazy stuff. One guy ordered a receiver with rocks in the box, returned it for another one and same thing thung happened. I believe it turned out to be a delivery guy. Last year my buddy ordered a 70-200 2.8 IS II from amazon and shipped it to our work. When he opened it, it was an old beat up Ver. I lens. and when I say old I mean it look as if a truck hit it.

Not hijacking the thread, honest, but it reminded me....

Customers returning gear to us for exchange or refund are sometimes a bit upset that we won't cross-ship a replacement. We did, in the past. But by the time we'd received enough bricks to build a house..........

Also, it's a reminder to ALWAYS check - with Adorama packages at least, I don't know how other vendors ship, - that the Adorama security tape (top AND bottom) is intact before you open it up.

MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 17, 2013 11:37 |  #664

These are some more photos of the 2 boxes.

-Jalal

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

JZP

MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 17, 2013 11:38 |  #665

Last one.

-Jalal

HOSTED PHOTO

JZP

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 17, 2013 11:58 |  #666

So.. how is it going? Did you get a new camera?

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 17, 2013 12:02 |  #667

Numenorean wrote in post #15497245 (external link)
I recognized the address on the box because I used to deal with them a lot as a (former) reseller. Got many packages with that address on them so I knew right away. One of their locations put up cameras on the trash bins as people were throwing away product and retrieving after hours.

Yup. I've heard of this before, it is a pretty common tactic. The inside of many businesses is well monitored so it is easier to simply throw away what you intend to steal and get it later.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 17, 2013 12:12 |  #668

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15498062 (external link)
Really don't know why companies don't require those signatures. A CC chargeback will actually override any delivery confirmation without a signature. Delivery confirmation isn't accurate at all--they can easily deliver to another address in the same city (which happens quite frequently, from what I'm told).

Very common. I've had this happen with every single carrier. I've had shipments marked as "delivered" when they were dropped off at my neighbor's house and sometimes on the WRONG STREET entirely. I've also received other people's packages that weren't even on the same street. Delivery Confirmation or tracking alone don't prove anything because I've had PLENTY of first-hand experiences knowing that things don't get delivered properly. USPS, UPS, FedEx, Ontrac... all the carriers do this, it doesn't matter who you use.

My current USPS driver is particularly bad. During December with the Christmas shipping rush, I had MORE THAN HALF of my packages delivered to the wrong address. Fortunately, it was neighbors on my street that are honest. We filed multiple complaints with USPS but nothing ever happened.

It is completely insane to me that people ship expensive things without Signature Confirmation. Delivery confirmation / tracking alone is meaningless.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 17, 2013 12:49 |  #669

bent toe wrote in post #15500637 (external link)
So.. how is it going? Did you get a new camera?

Dell wanted to offer me a $100 coupon towards a future purchase to fix the situation. They said that was the most they've ever offered and that was the best they could do. I promptly asked to have to order canceled. I called DFS again today to tel them to cancel it again. Just to make sure it was being processed and my account was going to be credited.

This will make you laugh. I was away from my desk and missed a call on my cell phone. Shortly after, I called my father and he tells me that Dell just called him asking me to confirm that I want to cancel the order. They didn't offer anything else lr say anything else. He told them where to reach me and how disappointed I was, etc. They said sorry, but nothing else. We'll see if they offer me anything. Haha. It better be BIG if they do. I've come too far for some BS concession. How the heck did they even get my father's cell #??? Crazy.

I'll keep you all posted. This is absolutely crazy.

-Jalal

JZP

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 17, 2013 13:10 as a reply to  @ MJ23FE's post |  #670

I thought these things happened only in Russia and the former Soviet Union, and in third developed countries, but here in the US? Live and learn.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 17, 2013 13:18 |  #671

JakAHearts wrote in post #15499615 (external link)
I hope they reference some wood jokes.

haha, me too... that's exactly what i was thinking :)

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

DigitalSoCal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 17, 2013 13:19 |  #672

Wow.. 47k views.. this thread sure is poplar

--Jonny--
60D, 18-135, 430EXII, and several voice-activated light stands

tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 17, 2013 13:20 |  #673

HelenOster wrote in post #15500126 (external link)
Pillows are our choice of packaging because they are easier to store, and are proven to be the best shock absorbers for all categories of product.

Our protocol is to pack above and beyond the industry standard. Most packaging companies that come in and see our operation are taken back by the amount of pillows we use in one carton – and try everything to get our business because it is not the norm. The industry standard is to put the item in the box to one corner and then fill the void with dunnage whether it is peanuts, pillows, foam, or paper.

We instruct our packers to blanket the bottom and the sides of the box, place the item in the middle and then fold over the pillows and add more to fill the box where needed. The only thing we don’t add any pillows to are items that ship in the vendor box, and soft goods (t-shirts, backpacks, hats, etc).

All that being said, it sounds from your feedback that for some reason your package wasn't packed as it should have been, for which I can only, at this point, apologize most sincerely. If you would like to send me your order number: Helen@adorama.com (external link), then I will raise this with the DC Manager.

^^^ This is why you order from places like Adorama and not Dell...

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 17, 2013 13:30 |  #674

HelenOster wrote in post #15500546 (external link)
Not hijacking the thread, honest, but it reminded me....

Customers returning gear to us for exchange or refund are sometimes a bit upset that we won't cross-ship a replacement. We did, in the past. But by the time we'd received enough bricks to build a house..........

Also, it's a reminder to ALWAYS check - with Adorama packages at least, I don't know how other vendors ship, - that the Adorama security tape (top AND bottom) is intact before you open it up.

Difficult to combat that no matter what you do I'm sure--even if you don't ship first, they can still send back a brick, and it's almost impossible to win a returned-goods chargeback. I assume the first time they try that stunt they get the ol blacklist?

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 17, 2013 13:34 |  #675

SoCalTiger wrote in post #15500680 (external link)
Very common. I've had this happen with every single carrier. I've had shipments marked as "delivered" when they were dropped off at my neighbor's house and sometimes on the WRONG STREET entirely. I've also received other people's packages that weren't even on the same street. Delivery Confirmation or tracking alone don't prove anything because I've had PLENTY of first-hand experiences knowing that things don't get delivered properly. USPS, UPS, FedEx, Ontrac... all the carriers do this, it doesn't matter who you use.

My current USPS driver is particularly bad. During December with the Christmas shipping rush, I had MORE THAN HALF of my packages delivered to the wrong address. Fortunately, it was neighbors on my street that are honest. We filed multiple complaints with USPS but nothing ever happened.

It is completely insane to me that people ship expensive things without Signature Confirmation. Delivery confirmation / tracking alone is meaningless.

Depends on the situation--when dealing with paypal payments in general, their protection policies state that tracking information is all that's required for anything valued under $250. So if I'm paid $200 for something, it's not my problem if it wasn't delivered to the correct address :lol: I just need it to say it was delivered. Now if they LOSE the package entirely, then I'd be in trouble. As long as tracking says it was "delivered" somewhere, and I have proof that I attempted to ship to the correct address, paypal will protect me against chargebacks/disputes.

My Gearlist

sponsored links

174,102 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.