Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 17, 2013 14:46 |  #691

MJ23FE wrote in post #15501304 (external link)
Yeah, right! That'll never happen. haha.

-Jalal

My major is in marketing, and if I were Adorama, or anyone else who is a serious dealer, I would send you a camera, but I would make sure I write an article on one of the Popular Photography or Outdoor Photography magazines, so everyone knows about it. I would post an interview with you with photos of the boxes, etc. Please keep everything. Dell's competition may actually approach you with some idea like that.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

sponsored links
MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 17, 2013 14:47 |  #692

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #15501325 (external link)
My major is in marketing, and if I were Adorama, or anyone else who is a serious dealer, I would send you a camera, but I would make sure I write an article on one of the Popular Photography or Outdoor Photography magazines, so everyone knows about it. I would post an interview with you with photos of the boxes, etc. Please keep everything. Dell's competition may actually approach you with some idea likehttps://photography-on-the.net …es/smilies/icon​_smile.gif that.

I was a major in marketing as well ;):cool:

I'm just curious as to what's going to happen next. ugh.

-Jalal

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 17, 2013 14:51 as a reply to  @ MJ23FE's post |  #693

Laminate Flooring Sale
BuildDirect.comClearan​ce on Top Quality Laminate Flooring from $0.49/sq ft. Save Now

When I open this thread, the advertisement shown on top shows up. Does everyone get it? If so, is this a commercial that pays money to the forum, or is it one of those opportunistic advertisements that happen in the Internet?

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 17, 2013 14:53 |  #694

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #15501342 (external link)
Laminate Flooring Sale
BuildDirect.comClearan​ce on Top Quality Laminate Flooring from $0.49/sq ft. Save Now

When I open this thread, the advertisement shown on top shows up. Does everyone get it? If so, is this a commercial that pays money to the forum, or is it one of those opportunistic advertisements that happen in the Internet?

I see it, too.

Ad Choices prolly has code written to look for repeated key words and chooses the ad that fits it best.

-Jalal

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 17, 2013 14:56 |  #695

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #15501325 (external link)
My major is in marketing, and if I were Adorama, or anyone else who is a serious dealer, I would send you a camera, but I would make sure I write an article on one of the Popular Photography or Outdoor Photography magazines, so everyone knows about it. I would post an interview with you with photos of the boxes, etc. Please keep everything. Dell's competition may actually approach you with some idea like that.

Thinking a marketing rep will start giving stuff away is ridiculous. This is not anything that is specific to Dell and it could happen anywhere.

I would prefer to see an investigative source follow up on catching the crooks that stole this stuff to begin with. I think they'd be pretty easy to catch just as long as someone is looking. It would most likely be a current or ex-employee.

It could also happen to anyone, and I'm pretty sure no one would carry a hoax this far because they'd become easy target for either criminal or slander lawsuits.

It's not about the photography equipment, it's about the crime! Over $6K will easily put someone in jail.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 17, 2013 15:19 |  #696

RandyMN wrote in post #15501375 (external link)
Thinking a marketing rep will start giving stuff away is ridiculous. This is not anything that is specific to Dell and it could happen anywhere.

I would prefer to see an investigative source follow up on catching the crooks that stole this stuff to begin with. I think they'd be pretty easy to catch just as long as someone is looking. It would most likely be a current or ex-employee.

It could also happen to anyone, and I'm pretty sure no one would carry a hoax this far because they'd become easy target for either criminal or slander lawsuits.

It's not about the photography equipment, it's about the crime! Over $6K will easily put someone in jail.

Yup, that's just plain silly--expecting adorama to give away a $3000 camera based on a sob story is pretty silly--especially when it isn't really a sob story!! In this case, the OP isn't losing money--he's losing time. I recall another story a few years back where a car caught fire, incinerating a 7D + 24-105L. Now THAT was a sob story, was a total loss, and I do believe a retailer provided a free camera in that instance (can't recall which).

My Gearlist

ten2376
205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 17, 2013 15:33 |  #697

I have offered up jalal to utilize our contact at dell who is the head of shipment and receiving. WE develop their merch tracking software and my boss was intrigued by this story. If nothing else dell has been notified to check any and all of their photography shipments for similar complaints that were shipped within the past 3 -4 weeks including all mk3's that were sold. I am sure all existing merchandise on hand will be examined for tampering.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 17, 2013 16:28 |  #698

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #15501290 (external link)
What misslead me at the beginning of the thread was your coolness!! I would have been **** and screaming. You need to put this in Youtube. United Airlines once damaged a Taylor guitar of a Canadian musician (as cool as you).

That video is a classic.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Clemson656
977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 17, 2013 16:41 |  #699

ten2376 wrote in post #15501548 (external link)
I have offered up jalal to utilize our contact at dell who is the head of shipment and receiving. WE develop their merch tracking software and my boss was intrigued by this story. If nothing else dell has been notified to check any and all of their photography shipments for similar complaints that were shipped within the past 3 -4 weeks including all mk3's that were sold. I am sure all existing merchandise on hand will be examined for tampering.

I'd be interested in hearing the bottom of it. If the warehouse was indeed compromised, that's a very serious issue that Dell should be considering. Also, I hope that Dell has a record of all the serial numbers in case these pop up somewhere. At least, I would try to investigate to see if the cameras were stolen after the carrier got the packages.

Everyday Gear || 5D III | 6D | 24L II | 50L | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 600EX-RT ||

My Canon Gear List and Feedback!

Computational Photographer ~= Photographer with Computational Photography & Computer Vision Background~= Art + Science :)

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 17, 2013 17:17 |  #700

Given that this has happened twice to the OP, there HAVE to be other instances of it happening to other customers.

Why?

Because it is basically not possible for it to have happened only twice and for both of those two instances to have happened to the same person.

Therefore, assuming that this has happened to others as well, it should be fairly straightforward for Dell to track down what is common amongst the data for the stolen items (they probably have a lot of information) and therefore to find the guilty parties (or maybe I just read too many mysteries).

At any rate, as soon as they knew that it had happened to other people, they should have immediately made good on the camera (sent another one) that, of course, they would have checked thoroughly prior to sending.

If they did not find any other instances of this happening, of course, then they would need to be investigating the OP (which is another possible reason for their delay in sending a third camera).

The opening gear photos prove nothing. Even an opening boxes video would prove nothing. It would be incredibly easy to carefully open the box and then reseal it so that it did not look like it had been opened. When it comes right down to it, I have to give Dell credit (even though I would never order from them--I stick with B&H, Adorama, and newegg) for sending that second camera.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

Pharmacist
51 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 17, 2013 17:21 |  #701

I've heard of this happening with lap tops. Someone in the process knew what it was and took the time to weight match it. Dell should replace it ASAP with 10 % off for the inconvenience.

Canon 6D, 24-105L, Other Rubbish.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 17, 2013 17:23 |  #702

ozziepuppy wrote in post #15501937 (external link)
Because it is basically not possible for it to have happened only twice and for both of those two instances to have happened to the same person.

True, chances are there are others who had it happen, however, assuming Dell does not sell a lot of these, it could be possible for the first of only two on the shelf to get shipped to one buyer, then having sold none between that shipment and the time they sent the second, one buyer could have ended up with both.

That is of course if only two were tampered with. If more are still on the shelf then either someone else was also victim, or DELL (or distributor) better be checking their boxes and finding out where it occurred.

My guess is that not a high volume buy 3000.00 cameras from Dell.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 17, 2013 17:23 |  #703

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15498248 (external link)
--a victimless crime, except that we all end up paying for it.

You have an odd definition of victimless...

Tom

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 17, 2013 17:36 |  #704

RandyMN wrote in post #15501958 (external link)
True, chances are there are others who had it happen, however, assuming Dell does not sell a lot of these, it could be possible for the first of only two on the shelf to get shipped to one buyer, then having sold none between that shipment and the time they sent the second, one buyer could have ended up with both.

That is of course if only two were tampered with. If more are still on the shelf then either someone else was also victim, or DELL (or distributor) better be checking their boxes and finding out where it occurred.

My guess is that not a high volume buy 3000.00 cameras from Dell.

Point taken.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 17, 2013 17:43 |  #705

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15501009 (external link)
Depends on the situation--when dealing with paypal payments in general, their protection policies state that tracking information is all that's required for anything valued under $250. So if I'm paid $200 for something, it's not my problem if it wasn't delivered to the correct address :lol: I just need it to say it was delivered. Now if they LOSE the package entirely, then I'd be in trouble. As long as tracking says it was "delivered" somewhere, and I have proof that I attempted to ship to the correct address, paypal will protect me against chargebacks/disputes.

Interesting. So then PayPal just takes the loss if the customer succeeds with the chargeback? I am pretty sure that credit card companies normally side with the customer in chargeback disputes like this where there is delivery confirmation but it was not delivered.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

sponsored links

174,051 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.