Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com

khughes44
200 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 21, 2013 17:22 |  #871

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15517124 (external link)
Perhaps. It could be night security. It could be several employees working together...

True, but this wasn't Dell after the order was placed. It was a 3rd party fulfillment house processing a drop ship order... in New Jersey.

'nuff said.

No, not 'nuff. You don't know any of the things you purport. You do not know it was a third party fulfilment house and you don't know it was a drop ship order, or that it was in New Jersey or that anything actually took place. You and I and everyone else who have joined this thread know nothing. It is all speculation.

The point is that this is a very unlikely scenario and one can easily conclude it is a hoax. To many, that is more likely than the OP's story.

sponsored links
D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 21, 2013 17:40 |  #872

Why would he take it this far? That would put him in with the 'world's dumbest criminals' crowd. Why would he make such a stink about it if he was lying?

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 21, 2013 17:56 |  #873

khughes44 wrote in post #15517166 (external link)
You don't know any of the things you purport. You do not know it was a third party fulfilment house and you don't know it was a drop ship order, or that it was in New Jersey or that anything actually took place. You and I and everyone else who have joined this thread know nothing. It is all speculation.

Well, at this point you're getting kind-of philosophical based on your definition of "know."

We do "know" those things from reading the thread, observing the pictures posted as evidence and so on. You're right that they could all be faked, but they do jive with reality (how Dell and others do business, how the packages were tagged, etc.) regardless of the wood.

Based on these we can be reasonably certain that Dell sent both orders to D&H Distributing Co. (PA, not NJ. Sorry) for fulfillment and that it was shipped from the same warehouse using the same carrier to the same destination. This means that if almost certainly followed the same route (through NJ) and was handled by the same people or groups of people along the way, etc.

Whether or not you believe it there was ample room for foul play before delivery to the OP.

khughes44 wrote in post #15517166 (external link)
The point is that this is a very unlikely scenario and one can easily conclude it is a hoax. To many, that is more likely than the OP's story.

That depends on if you're a grassy knoll type or an Occam's razor type.

For my part I think my biggest objection overall is that at least some of the lumber in question is clearly not laminate but is, instead, full thickness hardwood. That level of inaccuracy is, of course, inexcusable. ;)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

khughes44
200 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 21, 2013 18:08 |  #874

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15517295 (external link)
Well, at this point you're getting kind-of philosophical based on your definition of "know."

We do "know" those things from reading the thread, observing the pictures posted as evidence and so on. You're right that they could all be faked, but they do jive with reality (how Dell and others do business, how the packages were tagged, etc.) regardless of the wood.

Based on these we can be reasonably certain that Dell sent both orders to D&H Distributing Co. (PA, not NJ. Sorry) for fulfillment and that it was shipped from the same warehouse using the same carrier to the same destination. This means that if almost certainly followed the same route (through NJ) and was handled by the same people or groups of people along the way, etc.

Whether or not you believe it there was ample room for foul play before delivery to the OP.

For my part I think my biggest objection overall is that at least some of the lumber in question is clearly not laminate but is, instead, full thickness hardwood. That level of inaccuracy is, of course, inexcusable. ;)

Yes, the old full thickness hardwood ploy. Photoshop? :)

khughes44
200 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 21, 2013 18:09 |  #875

D. Vance wrote in post #15517235 (external link)
Why would he take it this far? That would put him in with the 'world's dumbest criminals' crowd. Why would he make such a stink about it if he was lying?

Ask Manti Teo (sp.)

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 21, 2013 18:17 |  #876

khughes44 wrote in post #15517337 (external link)
Ask Manti Teo (sp.)

LOLbw!

:)

binlu12
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2013 18:33 |  #877

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15516167 (external link)
Apparently this is actually something that happens fairly often (not just with cameras, not even just with expensive objects). My dad was telling me how (he works for DND) one time, a group from the company was returning to Canada after being in Afghanistan (I think, can't remember where exactly.) They had already shipped their important equipment/computers on a plane and were going to ship the rest of their office supplies back to Canada via a cargo ship. These were just printers / faxes, papers and such. It got packed into the cargo. When the ship got to Canada and they opened the container, all of their boxes containing their office supplies had been opened and repacked with wood / garbage / bags, etc. It happens. It's not a lone person doing these things.

Dell is not really the one responsible. When cameras are shipped from Japan they are shipped in pallets if I'm correct. The problem could be on that end. Someone(s) steal the cameras from a pallet and replace the boxes in that pallet with wood/garbage/etc. A pallet could contain a lot of cameras. These cameras then get shipped out of the country and distributed around the world. Its not someone in Dell's shipping factory doing this. It most likely happened far before it ever got to Dell in the first place.

Its also absolutely ridiculous to think the OP is schemeing this whole thing and currently has two 5D3's. If he did, then he wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. Because thats completely idiodic and could very easily be caught. This stuff happens. Otherwise, Dell would have first accused him.

This is not possible because every box has a serial number. No one can replace a pallet of camera with the same serial numbers. Or the receiving party didn't care what they ordered vs what they received.

6D, 7DII, 1DII, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-200mm F/4L IS USM, 15-85 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, 600EX-RT
Feedback #3
Feedback #2
Feedback #1

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 21, 2013 18:41 |  #878

D. Vance wrote in post #15517235 (external link)
Why would he make such a stink about it if he was lying?

And I thought you knew me. :confused:

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Audionut11
112 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 21, 2013 18:54 |  #879

binlu12 wrote in post #15517425 (external link)
Or the receiving party didn't care what they ordered vs what they received.

Depending on the procedures in place from the receiving company, this could very well be the case. I've seen plenty of receiving dock staff over the years in various businesses simply not give a s***.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 21, 2013 19:09 |  #880

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15517295 (external link)

I prefer Hanlon's razor, and simply assume that the OP just knows nothing about flooring...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 21, 2013 20:31 |  #881

pwm2 wrote in post #15517029 (external link)
Which is a fact. But not a fact that really means much on its own. It isn't unlikely that the same guy did package. Or did carry the box for shipping. Or did load it on plane. Or did unload it. Or did carry it to van for delivery. Or did run the van.

So a town have a couple of thousand people. And a guy is found murdered. And you know I was there. That means I could be the murderer. But you knowing I was there doesn't make it more likely I was the murderer than all the other people living in or visiting that town.

In this case, the OP just had to have suffered twice because he is the terminating address for the boxes. Wherever a switch happens, the terminating address will suffer twice while the people at other positions in the chain may either have been there before the switch. Or wouldn't know that they carried boxes of wood.

Statistics is problematic because much things in this world isn't random. So random coincidences are often very likely even if it might look like extremely low-probability events. And that makes it very hard to point fingers at people without having collected a significant amount of different leads that all points in the same direction (and that can be shown to have some form of strength and not actually be expected).

As the cop shows say, means, motive, and opportunity.

Again, the only known person with all three is the OP.

Tom

tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 21, 2013 21:23 |  #882

Doesn't the warehouse guy have the means, motive, and opportunity too?

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 21, 2013 21:43 as a reply to  @ post 15516990 |  #883

What I think contributes to the growth of doubts is the fact that the OP controls the information very well, he provides the information drop by drop. So, it is like we want to keep this thread for ever.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 21, 2013 21:47 |  #884

tjbrock42 wrote in post #15518033 (external link)
Doesn't the warehouse guy have the means, motive, and opportunity too?

"The" warehouse guy? :rolleyes: Which specific warehouse guy would that be? Maybe Manti Te'o's girlfriend's brother? That warehouse guy?

Tom

binlu12
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2013 21:49 |  #885

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #15518104 (external link)
What I think contributes to the growth of doubts is the fact that the OP controls the information very well, he provides the information drop by drop. So, it is like we want to keep this thread for ever.

Who knows, he may be writing a novel or movie script using our responses!

6D, 7DII, 1DII, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-200mm F/4L IS USM, 15-85 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, 600EX-RT
Feedback #3
Feedback #2
Feedback #1

sponsored links

173,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.