Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Jan 2013 (Friday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lost a client

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2013 13:49 |  #61

D. Vance wrote in post #15566320 (external link)
No, I wouldn't want their pictures, but if I read right, he was saying that guests aren't allowed to shoot if he is shooting. -Edit- maybe I read wrong... It was just the impression that I had gotten. I just re-read it.- ;)

Yes, we do our job, but we shouldn't only do that; try to be a nice guy, be easy to get along with. Sometimes being a nice pro gets you a whole lot farther than being a stuck up pro. I imagine not allowing guests to shoot at all would make people quite unhappy. Picture the bride down the road, talking to a friend who is getting married:
"He had amazing photos, but his attitude, well, something just put me off..."
Or:
"He had us laughing the whole time we were doing the formals, and he got some fantastic shots."
Which do you think the bride-to-be would choose?

It's unenforceable anyway, so there's really no point in having such a policy.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2013 13:52 |  #62

abbypanda wrote in post #15566353 (external link)
This

I personally prefer to turn down work to anyone I know, even if it's free. For me, it's just created problems. The friend expects it free and you feel slighted, or the friend agrees to pay and he/ she secretly feels slighted.

Either way it's a downward spiral unless to immediate family members, because (at least in my experience) the more you do the more they want... and at some point someone's secretly feeling slighted, only to hold it in and let it "fester" until it comes out and everything's ruined.

I just turn it down from the start.
Sure, it's a loss of business, but it preserves the friendship.
There's plenty of clients out there.

I think it's fine if you make it clear they're paying for and getting the same professional service as if they had hired someone they didn't know.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2013 13:56 |  #63

TETRAGRAMATON wrote in post #15566973 (external link)
Yeh I'm having the same issues on a weekly bases. Everything goes as follow, receiving a phone call with very murky detailed description of the session they want me to do, then I'm receiving an email requesting for my quote and usually what happens after I replay to the email and sending my quote is not hearing back form the potential "clients". For example a lady contacted me last week asking me to photograph a newly opening restaurant/food for their website, she described the session as a whole day to photograph 10 dishes, interior, exterior and the staff (chefs etc.), my quote was £500.. she newer call back. The other example is a studio contacted me asking me to go and film an fashion evening event/party then edited and provide them with 2 minutes ready to go online video, again my quote was £400.. they disappeared, then after two months they come back again asking me for the same job (different event) but this time they ask me if I can do it for les than the initial £400 quote. I told them that I can't really do it for less that £300 and that was they never call.
Sometimes I'm tinkling may be I'm asking too much, but then you think all the money we are spending for equipment, lighting, insurances and we also need to pay bills like the normal people and also tri to make some decent living. Is not our fault that the system works this way, everything comes down to the capital and the way economy works..... any way whatever I say it is quite obvious that the creative industries are in quite mess. Recently I paid £4000 for CGI 3D courses with Escape Studio, I did the courses as I was hopping to get something more permanent and reliable as job, but now after more than 6 months I finished the course there is still no even prospect for getting on paid work. And my case isn't the worse one I meet guys who did two of the course (they literally paid more than £15,000) and more than a year after they finished and completed their show-reels they are out on the street with no even prospect of getting hired any soon. The whole situation is extremely complicated, everything cost fortune equipment, education, software and after all nobody give you a guarantee or support (at least more intelligent clients that will know what it takes) for the people involved in the creative industry. Hope one day all of this to be sorted

Not everyone you quote is going to call back right away and book your services. Not everyone is even a serious inquirer. It's part of doing business.

Sometimes people will be turned off if you seem too cheap. That's a red flag to them...either your quality will be poor or you don't fully grasp what is involved. Others want the world on a silver platter without paying for it. You just don't know and have to shrug it off and don't give them a second thought.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,068 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 03, 2013 14:46 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #64

Sometimes people will be turned off if you seem too cheap. That's a red flag to them...either your quality will be poor or you don't fully grasp what is involved.

'Course, it would be nice if they'd tell you that. "You're too cheap" is one of the easier problems to solve.

Others want the world on a silver platter without paying for it.

That's what I run into more often.

You just don't know and have to shrug it off and don't give them a second thought.

If it's possible to identify why someone doesn't want to hire you, I think it's a good idea to know it and give consideration to it. Sometimes the consideration is just to shrug it off. "You're too expensive" is something I'd shrug off. "You're not expensive enough" is something I'd give thought to.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2013 16:12 |  #65

RDKirk wrote in post #15568209 (external link)
'Course, it would be nice if they'd tell you that. "You're too cheap" is one of the easier problems to solve.

Indeed.

That's what I run into more often.

As do I.

If it's possible to identify why someone doesn't want to hire you, I think it's a good idea to know it and give consideration to it. Sometimes the consideration is just to shrug it off. "You're too expensive" is something I'd shrug off. "You're not expensive enough" is something I'd give thought to.

You can ask why they didn't select you but if they don't respond there's nothing else to do. Even if they tell you you're laughably low, It's not as though you can fire back with a higher quote for the same project and magically land that job you didn't get because your initial quote was too low to be taken seriously. That puts you back at shrugging and pressing on.

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 04, 2013 00:23 |  #66

cdifoto wrote in post #15568047 (external link)
I think it's fine if you make it clear they're paying for and getting the same professional service as if they had hired someone they didn't know.

I also think it's fine, but no matter how "clear" you make something, there's always that one person.

I guess I've been burnt in the past by things like this, so me personally, if it's that good of a friend I'll just do free, which amounts to only a few people (don't have a large circle of close personal friends anyway). I figure I can make $ elsewhere.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 04, 2013 10:48 |  #67

abbypanda wrote in post #15569744 (external link)
I also think it's fine, but no matter how "clear" you make something, there's always that one person.

I guess I've been burnt in the past by things like this, so me personally, if it's that good of a friend I'll just do free, which amounts to only a few people (don't have a large circle of close personal friends anyway). I figure I can make $ elsewhere.

Well just like any other client, they pay up front and sign a contract. If they don't do both or either of those things, they don't get the work done. If they balk at the idea of paying in the first place, that's on them. If they sign and pay, you provide the service as outlined in the contract.

I mean, to me it's pretty straightforward. I'm emotionally detached from the actual business aspect of business so there's really no grey area or anything to fret over.

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 04, 2013 11:51 |  #68

cdifoto wrote in post #15570857 (external link)
Well just like any other client, they pay up front and sign a contract. If they don't do both or either of those things, they don't get the work done. If they balk at the idea of paying in the first place, that's on them. If they sign and pay, you provide the service as outlined in the contract.

I mean, to me it's pretty straightforward. I'm emotionally detached from the actual business aspect of business so there's really no grey area or anything to fret over.

No I totally get it, that's my point tho.... they'll sign the line and be "bitter" it's not free...b/c deep down they expected it for free since you are "friends" and now they just "feel obligated". It might be straight forward to us, but to them it's not always, which can result in the "last minute flakes" and such. I just prefer not to even deal with it.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 04, 2013 12:22 |  #69

abbypanda wrote in post #15571055 (external link)
No I totally get it, that's my point tho.... they'll sign the line and be "bitter" it's not free...b/c deep down they expected it for free since you are "friends" and now they just "feel obligated". It might be straight forward to us, but to them it's not always, which can result in the "last minute flakes" and such. I just prefer not to even deal with it.

Let them feel bitter. Who cares. That's on them. Let them flake too. They already paid.

sponsored links

10,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lost a client
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.