Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2013 (Friday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a speedlight suggestions?

ekfaysal
417 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 11, 2013 16:25 |  #1

I hv never used speed light.
been doing landscape photography with my 60D and 18-55,55-250 and 50 1.8
Now , i want to improve the indoor portraits..
as i hv said. i hv never used any speed light.
looking for something cheap.
Found Yongnuo YN-560 on ebay for 58$..
How's it.
Shall i go for it?
are there any other budget options?
and will the single speed light improve the portraits a little?
i dont have any other studio equipment at all.

My INSTAGRAM (external link)

Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links
Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 12, 2013 00:48 |  #2

I'd recommend going for an ETTL capable flash for your first flash. Try the Yongnuo YN-468.

Neil

Sacadelic
585 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 12, 2013 00:56 |  #3

ANd check out Neil Van Niekerks book about on camera flash..Great book..

-Sac
Feedback

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 12, 2013 00:57 |  #4

Something with ETTL and manual would be my suggestion as well.

Yongnuo has several flashes in this category that are fairly in expensive (468, 565, 568)

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,544 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 12, 2013 04:53 |  #5

Honestly, flash isn't that hard. Your 60D can use the pop up flash to trigger some of Canon's speedlights, and this will give you a HUGE amount of flexibility later on. If you are serious about flash, I strongly recommend you get a flash that will work like this. The Canon flashes do, as well as some of the third party ones.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 13, 2013 05:46 |  #6

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #15477838 (external link)
I'd recommend going for an ETTL capable flash for your first flash. Try the Yongnuo YN-468.

+4 if you only have one external flash make sure it's ETTL capable

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 13, 2013 06:53 |  #7

^ +5
IF you go for the ETTL-capable flash unit, you keep open your options and have scope at some future date to further expand your capabilities. If you choose manual-only, you will still have the capability to light your indoor portraits. What you would lose would be the ability for future expansion.

Really, it's a matter of:

• Buy MANUAL. Fulfil current requirements, spend less, close the door to future expansion without another purchase.
  • Buy ETTL-capable. Still fulfil current requirements, spend more, keep the door open for future development if the need arises.
Personal choice would be to go ETTL unless you are positive that you will never, ever want to do anything other than basic 'throw-some-light-at-it' indoor portraiture. It would be the cheaper option long-term. You can always use an ETTL flash (well, most of them) in Manual mode so nothing lost other than the higher initial expenditure.

It's your money, only you know your future needs. Got to be your choice!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Anthon
267 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 13, 2013 14:19 |  #8

I recently bought Canon 580ex II (paid 300 euro, used has scratches but works just fine) and I also have Yongnuo yn560 II (paid 70 euro on ebay, new from the factory).

Here is a little comparison:

I guess the rule applies: you get what you pay for. Yn560 is a great manual Speedlite, looks just like 560ex (they ripped of the design almost completely), it has a sturdy feel to it, actually feels pretty similar to 580ex in hands. But I do hear a lot of people complain about them failing - mine works fine, so far.
580ex II is Canon's professional workhorse, designed to endure harsh abuse - so it is highly reliable. While yn560 is a cheap knock-off.

Yongnuo is just a little bit less powerful than 580ex, which is good. Where it outperforms the Canon, is the hands on control - every parameter is directly accessible by the buttons (keep in mind that yn560 is a manual flash, while 580ex is packed with features).

I bought 580ex because I wanted a reliable flash that could withstand environmental hazards and also needed ETTL, because most of the time you just don't have the time do it manually.

On the other hand, if you are in a situation where you can take your time to adjust the parameters in manual mode, I would say that YN-560 II performs as good as 580ex II.
I use YN560 (with 580ex) for controlled shoots, with Cactus transivers.

If you could get warranty for it (because there is a chance it will just die), I would say go for it.

Canon 5D mark II Gripped / 17-40mm f4 L / 24-105mm f4 L / Canon 70-200 f4 L / Samyang 14mm 2.8 AE / Pentax SMC 50mm f1.7 / Pentax SMC 28 2.8 / Canon Speedlite 600ex-rt / Canon Speedlite 580ex II / YN560 II

steve6101
33 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 13, 2013 15:07 |  #9

I have a 460 II for over a year and have had no trouble with it

ekfaysal
THREAD ­ STARTER
417 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 13, 2013 15:15 |  #10

thanks guys for your replies. it really helped me alot. will try to buy canon's 580exII.

My INSTAGRAM (external link)

Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links

1,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a speedlight suggestions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.