Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 01:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how useful do you find battery grips

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 14, 2013 14:40 |  #16

Battery grips are great for balance on smaller cameras and of course for extra juice...

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 14, 2013 15:05 |  #17

Life's about choices.
Grew up (;) ) using an F2, then an F3 with motor drive and pro glass. Modern dslr's just don't feel right without them. I know. They're the wrong brand! ;)
So I bought an Oly OMD. Put a grip on it.
(I have a somewhat-healed shoulder injury. The buttons really make a difference too.)

Dave

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 14, 2013 15:58 |  #18

I used a grip on my Rebel when I had one because my hand was too big for the body alone. When I bought my 5Ds, they came with grips but I realized a few things. First, I never approached an empty battery as I would shoot with two bodies, so the extra battery didn't help much. Second, shooting in portrait orientation required that I remove my hand from the hand strap, increasing my chance to drop the camera. Third, two of them can really get heavy after 12 hours of use.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 14, 2013 15:58 |  #19

pkilla wrote in post #15487891 (external link)
and of course for extra juice...

Yes, because having to swap batteries after 1000 shots is a real pain!

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,209 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 14, 2013 16:02 |  #20

hollis_f wrote in post #15488301 (external link)
Yes, because having to swap batteries after 1000 shots is a real pain!

Agreed. The extra juice argument has never made a lot of sense to me as battery life is pretty good on a single battery anyway. It might have been an issue on the early dslrs, but the new ones just go on forever. Its really about ergonomics and thats a personal thing.

Hawk1959
81 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2013 11:02 |  #21

I have used a BG with my first DSLR (Rebel XT) and for shooting High School football the Extra Juice came in very handy (more so as the battery life would go down on very cold nights or as you went through charging cycles.) A typical Football night with the XT is around 1500 shots, no flash, IS lenses or a Prime in bad light where the XT really needed help to keep the speed up.

It is a personal thing. I have ham hands and the extra grip space makes it feel better in my hands. When I take it off now, the camera feels "Naked"...

Now that I have moved up... I find I miss the grip. again... its a personal preferences.

As far as OEM or Third party... I have the OEM for the XT.... trying to decide a) am I going to get one for the new body and b) OEM or cheaper After market.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,209 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 15, 2013 11:04 |  #22

Hawk1959 wrote in post #15491717 (external link)
I have used a BG with my first DSLR (Rebel XT) and for shooting football the Extra Juice came in very handy (more so as the battery life would go down on very cold nights). It is a personal thing. I have ham hands and the extra grip space makes it feel better in my hands. When I take it off now, the camera feels "Naked"...

Now that I have moved up... I find I miss the grip. again... its a personal preferences.

As far as OEM or Third party... I have the OEM for the XT.... trying to decide a) am I going to get one for the new body and b) OEM or cheaper After market.

But there really isnt any extra juice more than a 15 second battery change would provide.

PEjercito
49 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 15, 2013 23:08 |  #23

I had the BG-E7 on my 7D but ended up selling the it a few months later. It was comfortable to hold but the weight it added on my sling strap really started bothering my shoulder.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2013 03:44 |  #24

Personally I got a grip to try it out. I didn't like it so I don't use it.

If you find it makes the camera better to handle then its useful. If you find it doesn't help then it doesn't make it useful at all.

Not really a "only one answer is right" type of topic. Try one out and decide if it's useful for you or not

neilwinch
163 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 17, 2013 05:25 |  #25

Always had gripped bodies. I can't comfortably use the camera without one. I also like to wander around a lot with just a wrist strap attached, so the grip gives me a bit more bulk to hang onto - although my wrists probably don't agree with that logic.

Neil Winch Photography
My Website (external link) | My Flickr (external link)

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 17, 2013 06:07 |  #26

I recently bought a 5diii and cant get over how small it felt in my big man hands. If i get a grip will it stop the camera from falling through my hands?

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 17, 2013 06:13 |  #27

When I made the move from a point and shoot to a used 30D I found on ebay, it had a grip with it. I put it on and decided to give a hand strap a try. The handstrap is like night and day when using the camera. I've since upgraded to a new 60D with imitation Canon grip, and now a 5D3 with genuine Canon grip. I'd never go without my handstrap as I, too have large hands and can easily handle an 11th on the piano without difficulty.

And for those times when I want the camera 'glued' to my hand, I attach the neckstrap as well and wrap it around my wrist, hand, and camera that locks the camera in place. Not even shaking my hand, palm open, with a 24-105 f4L on the camera can make it come loose!

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

Yetihenry
101 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 17, 2013 07:02 |  #28

When shooting video I go through batteries quickly, the increased capacity is good, but the main reason is so I can access the battery compartment and replace them when I have GE camera mounted on a tripod/rig.

Even with a grip they rebels don't feel big, and the flex drives me crazy, if try built the battery door on the side I wouldn't bother.

Fuji Xe2 | 35mm F2 | 12mm F2 | 85mm f1.8 | My bag | Gear list/References

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2013 00:39 |  #29

The funniest thing about grips is people saying they need them for their 'big hands', but then you read about the advent of mirror less cameras and how they are so much better because they dont have the bulk and weight of current dslrs lol crazy...

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 20, 2013 05:03 |  #30

So I guess the folks that don't like a grip think you shouldn't like them, either. Some folks find them useful.

Try one on your camera (Can you borrow one?). If it improves how YOU use your camera, buy it; if not, don't.

If you buy one, just don't tell; sombody will yell at you!

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

11,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
how useful do you find battery grips
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.