Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm buying Canon T4i or 5D Mark iii

ZIM ­ SOGEN
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 12, 2013 09:19 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Hello people, I am planning to buy a canon T4i with EF 24-105mm lens if my budget allows.
If not I would chose either the stock efs 18-135mm or camera with 18-55mm and buy the efs 15-85mm.

I have done a lot of research and looked at sample pictures including picts of a member of this site "Tharmsen" who posted a t4i with the ef 17-40m lens and they were the most impressive pictures I have ever seen even more impressive to me than pro reviews and they are what convince for certain that the T4i is the cam I buy with my current salary.

If I manage to start a business and make lots of money I will buy the T4i for portability and the Canon 5d mark 3 with the EF 24-70MM F/2.8 LENS, YES I know that lens has no Image Stabilization.

I want to know what you guys think of my choices!

I am THE GOD of ALL that EXIST! My Greatest Enemy is HUMANITY!!!

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,627 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 12, 2013 10:05 |  #2

Um.... sure. T4i's fine. Great even. And the 5d3 + 24-70 is a great combo also.

That said, you made no mention of what you take photos of. (sports/landscape/port​raits/all of the above?)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 12, 2013 10:49 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #3

welcome to potn

If I manage to start a business and make lots of money

let us know how that works out for you :cool:

On a serious note, go to a store and handle the t4i. I think it's a great camera, but you need to see if the ergonomics works for you. Personally, I don't like a single control wheel.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 12, 2013 11:08 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Thank you, I want to take pictures of people not just faces, landscapes, some action, somtimes sports.

I know that the 24-105mm on a crop frame wont give me the widest angles, it will give me angles wide enough. Full figure pics of people, nearby objects like cars and houses and some action in most lighting is what I mainly want to take pics of.

I considered all that and factored in focal lengths , vegnetiing, barrel and pincushion distortions and most important for me sharpness and overall image quality.

based on research and sample pics the 24-105 is best with the t4i,
I like landscapes as well that why I would also take the 18-55mm IS II STOCK LENS WITH THE T4i, the quality is not as sharp as the 24-105 its good enough to take mostly landscape scenes.

If I buy the 5d mk3 the 24-70mm f4 the L telephoto zoom and wide lens will give me all I need for my personal photography!

The only real factor for me is cost, if i get a new high income I would buy the 5d mk3 if not i save for the t4i with the ef 24-105 or the efs 15-85mm

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 12, 2013 11:09 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

thank you for your greetings people!

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 12, 2013 11:11 |  #6

ZIM SOGEN wrote in post #15478644 (external link)
If I manage to start a business and make lots of money I will buy the T4i for portability and the Canon 5d mark 3 with the EF 24-70MM F/2.8 LENS, YES I know that lens has no Image Stabilization.

I want to know what you guys think of my choices!

If you start a photo business and show up with a T4i advertising your self as a professional, you probably won't come off as professional. The T4i or any current canon DLSR can take amazing pictures, but clients don't want to see someone they hired showing up with an entry level camera that every soccer mom and amateur photographer has. They expect a professional to show up with professional grade gear.

That said photo quality is far more about the photographer than the camera. Sure the T4i can take good pictures, so can the T3i, the Rebel Xt and old Canon film cameras. Look at some old national geographic's or photo magazines. There are amazing photos in there made from gear that is not as technically capable as what we have today.

Gear lust is fun but don't kid yourself that better gear will make you a better photographer when you are just starting out. It may make life easier and the resolution and noise may be better but the really important things like composition, framing, lighting, choosing locations and subjects are left up to you.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,013 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 12, 2013 11:14 |  #7

There's more to photography than the camera...

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Praverb ­ Dot ­ Net
221 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 12, 2013 11:14 |  #8

Great response

Praverb Dot Net (external link)
Camera Body: Canon T3i
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, Canon 35mm f2, Canon 50mm 1.4

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 12, 2013 11:25 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

When I said start a business I dont mean a photo business, I mean a money making business to get me money to buy a 5d mk3, I'm buying cameras for personal reasons!

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 12, 2013 11:30 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

mrfixitx wrote in post #15478958 (external link)
Gear lust is fun but don't kid yourself that better gear will make you a better photographer when you are just starting out. It may make life easier and the resolution and noise may be better but the really important things like composition, framing, lighting, choosing locations and subjects are left up to you.

I've heard that one before and you are right, even even taking good pictures with a point and shoot camera for me needs some know how, and as I learn to use my new DSLR (when I can afford it) for my personal use and not business i will take great pics that will amaze me that I want to stare at for a long time!

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 12, 2013 11:31 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Buying a camera based on the looks of a photograph taken with it is a lot like picking a restaurant based on the pans in their kitchen.

Gear List

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 12, 2013 11:33 as a reply to  @ ZIM SOGEN's post |  #12

Welcome to POTN.:)...It sounds like you've pretty well got it all figured out...Enjoy your new T4i(or 5D3)!

Mark

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2013 11:35 |  #13

ZIM SOGEN wrote in post #15478995 (external link)
When I said start a business I dont mean a photo business, I mean a money making business to get me money to buy a 5d mk3, I'm buying cameras for personal reasons!

I think this is what you should have said earlier :) hope you get your cameras, 5d mark iii is awesome.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 12, 2013 11:38 |  #14

TSchrief wrote in post #15479012 (external link)
Buying a camera based on the looks of a photograph taken with it is a lot like picking a restaurant based on the pans in their kitchen.

Or like buying the same kind of pans a restaurant uses because of the taste of their food.

Tom

Euro852
324 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 12, 2013 12:05 |  #15

I would start off with T4i (if on tight budget) or just get the 5D3 and have loads of shooting fun!

Main Camera: FUJiFILM X-E2 | 18-55mm
Secondary: Canon 5DMKII | 500D Gripped | 24-105mm F4 L | EF-S Lenses | 580EX II | Feisol 3441S / Manfrotto 496RC2

sponsored links

3,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm buying Canon T4i or 5D Mark iii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.