Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G Series Forum Decline

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 19, 2013 17:33 |  #46

terrycho wrote in post #15628263 (external link)
I bought the G15 recently after I had to put down my G9 after a good five years of hard use. The problem I'm having with the G15, that I didn't have with the G9, is importing both Raw and jpep into iphoto seamlessly. Now only the jpeg will import even after I upgraded my Mac operating system to 10.6. I can bring the raws in through the canon software (which I find slow and creaky, like me). I would prefer to keep it simple and stick with iphoto to import both, is that still a possibility.
Thanks for your help!
t

I don't use iPhoto, but I'm using Picasa (while we travel) on my Asus latop (Win 8). Picasa does not recognize my Samsung NX100 Raw files (.srw), so it will only import the .jpg files. I have to use the card reader of the laptop, and then the File explorer feature make sure the raw images are also imported (moved) to the laptop.

I used to have some similar issues with my G9 and my iMac at home, but then Apple updated support. Perhaps you are using an older version of iPhoto, and have not applied last October's RAW image support?

http://news.softpedia.​com …nd-iPhoto-11-301999.shtml (external link)

This post on DPR may also be helpful.

http://forums.dpreview​.com/forums/post/50616​122 (external link)

Dennis

sponsored links
irishjim
120 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 23, 2013 23:26 as a reply to  @ denncald's post |  #47

Apple just had an update to deal with RAW files in iPhoto might want to check the App store.

Canon 7D; Sigma 17-50, EF-S 10-22, Sigma 30mm, Canon 6D; EF 17-40mm, EF 70-200 F2.8 IS II, EF 24-105, Sigma 105mm, Kenko 1.4 & 2.0 Tele con's, Canon G1 X, G5, Konica Minolta 7D & A2, Sony RX100 III.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 27, 2013 15:04 |  #48

Some cellphones have a sensor almost at large as G series and the picture quality is not that much worse in good light.

I think it's the whole point and shoot segment disappearing and being replaced by cellphone cameras, as they get better. The smaller sensor point and shoots are officially dead. The larger sensor cameras might be headed in the same direction.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 27, 2013 15:23 |  #49

And why get a G series if there's smaller mirroless cameras from every manufacturer with a large sensor?

GordonSBuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 27, 2013 20:01 |  #50

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15658582 (external link)
Some cellphones have a sensor almost at large as G series and the picture quality is not that much worse in good light.

I admit to lagging in my knowledge of sensor sizes. What is the largest sensor available in a cellphone and how does it compare to the size of the G15 sensor?

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 27, 2013 20:18 |  #51

GordonSBuck wrote in post #15659557 (external link)
DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15658582 (external link)

I admit to lagging in my knowledge of sensor sizes. What is the largest sensor available in a cellphone and how does it compare to the size of the G15 sensor?

1/2.8 for iPhone 4 for example and G16 is 1/1.7

I'm not sure about the LARGEST, but it's pretty close considering you don't have to carry an extra device around and still get raw files with full on metering and manual exposure.

I know it would make a huge difference in low light, but a LOT of people would not care. In daylight cellphones nowadays makes great pictures.

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2013 00:46 |  #52

I use the G12 a lot because it is so easy to carry
and I can work it so well with easy access to
exposure compensation, aperture control, exposure bracketing...
I like the big depth of field for landscape,
and have a nice macro kit for the filter holder.
The flip out screen is also wonderful.
Improvements I'd love: less shutter lag
and the ever elusive high ISO performance.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

etaV8R
362 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 28, 2013 01:18 |  #53

I use my cel phone camera but would much rather use my G or SLR over my phone. When I travel all three are usually with me. For hikes the G is essential and sometimes the SLR.
I don't trust my cel to do justice to the locations I shoot. With something like the 6D transferring photos to a phone it seems a better way to share quickly with friends/family before I get home to do PP.

6D & G5X
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 35-135 USM f/4 & EF 50 f/1.8, Sigma 150-500
580EX, Kenko 2X Pro DG TC
Retired: G15, G9, SD800IS, S45, Elan, AE1-Program

GordonSBuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 28, 2013 08:09 |  #54

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15659602 (external link)
1/2.8 for iPhone 4 for example and G16 is 1/1.7

I'm not sure about the LARGEST, but it's pretty close ...

Here's a Wikipedia article, http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Image_sensor_fo​rmat (external link) . Looks like the G15 sensor must have about twice the area of the iPhone sensor.

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 28, 2013 08:35 |  #55

I dont use a cell phone but a lot of the folks I know who are purchasing those high tech cell phones are paying a lot more than a G15 price for them. I have a friend who repairs them and he gets a LOT of traffic for his business. They tend to be replaced with newer versions much quicker too it seems.

irishjim
120 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 28, 2013 10:02 as a reply to  @ GordonSBuck's post |  #56

Here is a link to Adorama with a good article on sensors. Sensor ratio sizes are not the true measure of a cameras ability to produce good versus great photos.

http://www.adorama.com …es-sensor-size-matter-YES (external link)

Canon 7D; Sigma 17-50, EF-S 10-22, Sigma 30mm, Canon 6D; EF 17-40mm, EF 70-200 F2.8 IS II, EF 24-105, Sigma 105mm, Kenko 1.4 & 2.0 Tele con's, Canon G1 X, G5, Konica Minolta 7D & A2, Sony RX100 III.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 28, 2013 10:08 |  #57

GordonSBuck wrote in post #15660817 (external link)
Here's a Wikipedia article, http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Image_sensor_fo​rmat (external link) . Looks like the G15 sensor must have about twice the area of the iPhone sensor.

Sure. But that's one stop difference. And it's a sony sensor, possibly with a higher DR.

TransientEye
24 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 09, 2013 09:29 |  #58

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15661161 (external link)
Sure. But that's one stop difference. And it's a sony sensor, possibly with a higher DR.

For a G12 vs a cell-phone, you get much more than one-stop benefit in low light, a lot more dynamic range plus a high quality zoom with image stabilisation. You also have vastly better ergonomics. I have one of the better cell-phone cameras (Nokia N8) and there is no contest with a G12 in terms of flexibility, image quality and handling.

However, where the G12 falls down is in comparison to some of the newer compact and mirror-less designs from other manufacturers. The Sony RX100 is smaller and has better IQ. The Nikon and u4/3 mirror-less cameras ofter immensely better speed (AF...) and IQ, plus have interchangeable lenses that give a lot more flexibility.

Currently, we use use three camera systems:

- cell phone (always there, but only really for snapshots)
- u4/3 for low weight and size
- Canon 5DII/III for image quality and handling

We have a G12 (and previously a G2 and G6) but now only use it rarely. An Olympus OM-D with 20mm pancake is about the same size and weight, but has much better handling and image quality. The only downside is that adding a zoom increases the size.

If Canon had kept up with the competition in terms of EVF and AF speed with either the G or M series, we probably would not be using u4/3 in its place.

transienteye.com (external link)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 09, 2013 19:21 |  #59

Welcome to the forum!
Glad to see your response.
I have taken the same path, with some regrets. My Oly and my Nikon 1 work well. Neither has the portability of the G camera. A G15 with lens recessed would be easier to carry than either of my sources.
Dave
Toronto

Dave

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 10, 2013 16:19 |  #60

TransientEye wrote in post #15694906 (external link)
For a G12 vs a cell-phone, you get much more than one-stop benefit in low light, a lot more dynamic range plus a high quality zoom with image stabilisation. You also have vastly better ergonomics. I have one of the better cell-phone cameras (Nokia N8) and there is no contest with a G12 in terms of flexibility, image quality and handling.

Absolutely. But people don't carry the G12 on you all you the time.

sponsored links

15,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
G Series Forum Decline
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.