Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G Series Forum Decline

TransientEye
24 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 11, 2013 11:25 |  #61

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15699196 (external link)
Absolutely. But people don't carry the G12 on you all you the time.

Actually, maybe I'm weird, but I carry a camera more often than I carry my phone :D

transienteye.com (external link)

sponsored links
Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 11, 2013 12:28 |  #62

mastertech01 wrote in post #15508344 (external link)
For the upgrade. 150 for the full version. DPP is fine for me and my G12

IMO, the G series is perfect for a beginner as well as a more experienced photographer.
The Scene Modes in addition to the Creative Exposure Modes, along with all the other features make for a great little package all in one.

More experienced shooters will have some sort of PP software and that's fine. It is very unlikely the beginner will. Zoombrowser and DPP compliment the ability of the G Series and will get the beginner off to a great start at a relatively low price.

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2013 12:29 as a reply to  @ TransientEye's post |  #63

I just came back from a week long vacation to California and Vegas. What I saw is at Disneyland, I would say 60% were using their Iphones for pictures, 25% had Canon Rebels with the kit lens attached, and the rest had G cameras, or similar other brand variations.

As far as the decline on this forum, I can see people that initially people that get them are on here for questions, but after using my new G1x for this trip, they are pretty simple, so we don't have questions on here about what lens to use, settings for sports, etc....people have other bodies for that purpose...my thoughts anyway...

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 11, 2013 12:35 |  #64

mark2009 wrote in post #15702465 (external link)
... but after using my new G1x for this trip, they are pretty simple, so we don't have questions on here about what lens to use, settings for sports,

How did you like the G1X? I'm not in the market for a new camera but it would be a tough choice if I was, G1X or G15.

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2013 13:22 |  #65

Norman B wrote in post #15702499 (external link)
How did you like the G1X? I'm not in the market for a new camera but it would be a tough choice if I was, G1X or G15.

I really love it(of course I have not seen someone that bought any new camera and said they hate it) I also have a S100, which is a great little camera, but me personally the G15 is a larger S100, similar sensor. I actually wanted something that would give me comparable IQ to my DSLR. I actually think the images are better than my 50D with the 15-85mm. It also feels like a quality camera, meaning something sturdy, etc. The sensor size is 6X larger than what the G15 has, so image Q should be better, and also have better low light capabilities. Hey the G15 is a great little camera also, for me going to this form factor, I wanted to gain something, and IQ is it, it's built like a tank, and I actually like the flip screen. I picked mine on sale for $599 shipped, and had a gift card left over so it cost me $500 out of pocket, so I was happy with the price also.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 11, 2013 13:55 |  #66

TransientEye wrote in post #15702247 (external link)
Actually, maybe I'm weird, but I carry a camera more often than I carry my phone :D

Your camera is perfect for you. It's nice to find a convenient match.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 11, 2013 19:10 |  #67

mark2009 wrote in post #15702699 (external link)
I really love it(of course I have not seen someone that bought any new camera and said they hate it) I also have a S100, which is a great little camera, but me personally the G15 is a larger S100, similar sensor. I actually wanted something that would give me comparable IQ to my DSLR. I actually think the images are better than my 50D with the 15-85mm. It also feels like a quality camera, meaning something sturdy, etc. The sensor size is 6X larger than what the G15 has, so image Q should be better, and also have better low light capabilities. Hey the G15 is a great little camera also, for me going to this form factor, I wanted to gain something, and IQ is it, it's built like a tank, and I actually like the flip screen. I picked mine on sale for $599 shipped, and had a gift card left over so it cost me $500 out of pocket, so I was happy with the price also.

I understand where you are coming from. My boys each have an S95 which is more or less the same as the S100 without the GPS. The S95 and S100 just feel like a person is holding quality in their hands.

The same with the G1X as far as quality in your hands goes. Price wise, the G1X is in entry level DSLR territory yet, the entry level DSLR does not have the same feel. I'm not suggesting for a minute that there is anything wrong with an entry level DSLR. I think everyone knows the difference between the two. It really comes down to a camera is nothing more than a tool to take pictures. It is a matter of getting the tool that meets a persons needs.

The pros will always have a need for a DSLR. I think as time goes by and technology improves, the serious amateur will be reviewing what it is that he/she really needs. I think there will be a shift from DSLR to high end cameras like the G1X and others. How much that shift is remains to be seen.

I'm glad you like your G1X. Happy shootng.

spirit7628
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 25, 2013 20:30 as a reply to  @ Norman B's post |  #68

Well, for me and my G6, it's not being able to use software that is Canon based (specifically with my exact camera color profile,etc) to adjust white balance, picture style or "my colors" as it's called in Preview RAW Editor, etc. DPP (before the update dumped CRW) used to do everything it does now for CR2 files from my EOS 50D (minus HDR).
Sure it still takes great photos but on the editing side, it's not worth the trouble for me right now. Sure someday someone may build an app that does more for Canon CRW files (at least I am optimistic) and I will save it for my future kids to take photos and experience "old school" technology.

GordonSBuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 22, 2013 20:11 |  #69

Wow! Only nine viewers tonight -- and the G16 has just been announced.

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,863 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Aug 22, 2013 21:03 |  #70

GordonSBuck wrote in post #16231913 (external link)
Wow! Only nine viewers tonight -- and the G16 has just been announced.

If you mean how many are viewing a certain forum: it's viewers at this moment, not a cumulative counter.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

GordonSBuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 23, 2013 08:13 |  #71

Pekka wrote in post #16232031 (external link)
If you mean how many are viewing a certain forum: it's viewers at this moment, not a cumulative counter.

I knew that. Thanks for the forum; I check in everyday. The decline in participation on the G series forum is (I suspect) more due to the rather lukewarm later G series models than an indication of POTN.

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 23, 2013 15:00 as a reply to  @ GordonSBuck's post |  #72

Novelty of the G series has worn off. IMO it should be grouped in with the compact section. I think it's been suggested before.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,497 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 23, 2013 15:52 |  #73

tmwag wrote in post #16234054 (external link)
Novelty of the G series has worn off. IMO it should be grouped in with the compact section.

Really? The G subforum hardly seems unpopular. It has more total views than the compact subforum: 120,000 vs. 104,000.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 24, 2013 20:13 |  #74

I know there'll be some who consider me a Luddite, but maybe the solution to the G-series is to slow the rate of model refreshment.

It may be counter-intuitive, but the Gs are not quite in the same market sector as their cheaper counterparts. They are generally bought by the more thoughtful and experienced photographers who want to step up from cheap 'n' cheerful P&S but don't want to go the full dSLR route. Or those who don't want to lug their full-size around all the time.

As it is, I suspect there's an imperative from Canon's marketing department to refresh the model line annually to maintain market share in the belief that the target market has a short attention span, has an entitlement culture and will annually spring a substantial amount of wedge for the latest all-singing, all-dancing iteration. That isn't necessarily so.

We've had more megapixels, fewer megapixels; articulated screens, fixed screens; ISO out of menu and onto the top plate, then relegated to the back-plate; and lenses where zoom ratio and max aperture expand and contract quite arbitrarily.

Would it be too much to ask that Canon's G-series designers sit down with their marketing colleagues and decide where their market niche is going, define specs and parameters, then spend a couple of years GETTING IT RIGHT?

They could start by taking a serious tilt at sorting shutter lag, and making an optical view finder that is actually worthwhile.

If they do manage to get their sums right, they then can leave the resulting product on the market for more than just 15 months - and also slow down proliferation in the current alpha-numeric rubbish that clutters the market place and confuses customers.

But no - I recognise it just ain't gonna happen. But we can dream.

~ Wallace
Gear List

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,497 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 24, 2013 21:58 |  #75

xhack wrote in post #16236928 (external link)
It may be counter-intuitive, but the Gs are not quite in the same market sector as their cheaper counterparts. They are generally bought by the more thoughtful and experienced photographers who want to step up from cheap 'n' cheerful P&S but don't want to go the full dSLR route. Or those who don't want to lug their full-size around all the time.

It isn't counterintuitive at all. I outgrew my $200 P&S*--wanted better images and more flexibility/control than it provided--but didn't want something too big and heavy to carry around. I got a G15 last fall, when that model had just come out.

If you're buying new, you get whatever G is current. The G16 costs $50 more and has no more megapixels and still no tilt screen. I'm not about to replace the G15 with it just to have the newest thing.

*Well, not entirely. I now use both cameras. The smaller one is more carryable and concealable. It produces better images than the G15 in some macro situations.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links

15,403 views & 0 likes for this thread
G Series Forum Decline
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.