Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Artist ???

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,419 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2013 14:34 |  #16

Its a title that means absolutely nothing. I know artists who have sold work in galleries and some who create that have and never will sell a thing. Its about self identity, and whether their self identity matches up with your perception is the real issue. You can reject his self imposed identity, but to what end? Does it make you feel better?

sponsored links
NWPhil
THREAD ­ STARTER
441 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2013 14:35 |  #17

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #15496880 (external link)
One of the worst rants I've read on PotN. Let him call whatever he wants to label himself.

In this day and age, I can poo on a piece of paper and consider that art and myself an artist. I've seen art exhibits of just a urinal, a painting that's completely blue, something that looks like a color palette from home depot, etc. (all from the Philadelphia Art Museum). You name it, they have it. Art is subjective, so anything can be considered art. That being said, if he wants to label his photographs art, then so be it. It shouldn't bother you at all. If I want to label myself the best wedding photographer in the universe, so be it. Whether it's true or not, he himself knows. Period.

btw : pretty nice professional photography you have going.

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:40 |  #18

NWPhil wrote in post #15496926 (external link)
btw : pretty nice professional photography you have going.

Thanks! It's gotta be nice. I'm the best wedding photographer in the universe, remember? :lol:

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,517 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2013 14:49 |  #19

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15496865 (external link)
Where do you go to earn that title? Its kinda like the "photographer" title. Now engineer, doctor those are titles you have to earn and normaly have paper work to back it up.

You can probably get yours on Craigslist, I went to art school and learned, but even then, I didn't feel as though I was one. Like I said, it took me years to be able to call myself one, and I did earn my living doing it.
Really, I have now idea what you mean, if I were a welder, I would probably call myself one... :rolleyes::confused:;)

I sure didn't say that because of an inflated ego, one of the reasons I didn't call myself one is that my ego was anything but that.
Now, I am a photographer, not a professional one, but I can still call myself one. I have actually sold my shots in my work, but I don't consider an 'artist photographer'. I like to take shots like a lot of the others here do.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 16, 2013 14:56 |  #20

recrisp wrote in post #15497000 (external link)
You can probably get yours on Craigslist, I went to art school and learned, but even then, I didn't feel as though I was one. Like I said, it took me years to be able to call myself one, and I did earn my living doing it.
Really, I have now idea what you mean, if I were a welder, I would probably call myself one... :rolleyes::confused:;)

I sure didn't say that because of an inflated ego, one of the reasons I didn't call myself one is that my ego was anything but that.
Now, I am a photographer, not a professional one, but I can still call myself one. I have actually sold my shots in my work, but I don't consider an 'artist photographer'. I like to take shots like a lot of the others here do.

Randy

I was not trying to put down those that went to Art School, I just know alot of people that never did and still call themselves an artist. I love to take photos but I do not consider myself a photographer, dont feel my skills are there yet. I have also sold some prints and what not but still dont wanna call myself a photographer.

To me a title is just a title. Some you have to earn via school or certification program (like a certified welder).

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 16, 2013 15:01 |  #21

I'm a fartist.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,737 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2013 15:02 |  #22

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15497044 (external link)
I'm a fartist.

Title fairy, where are you when you are most need. :):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,737 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2013 15:02 |  #23

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15497044 (external link)
I'm a fartist.

By the way, did you go to fart school and earn a degree?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

moose10101
registered smartass
1,702 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 16, 2013 15:10 |  #24

NWPhil wrote in post #15496864 (external link)
Randy says it well, that you have to earn the title - just like the appalachian trail thru hikers - they are given a nickname; they don't choose one

I looked up a definition:

Artist: a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.

How does that not fit what he does? You might think he's a bad artist, but that's a completely different discussion.

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 16, 2013 15:13 |  #25

NWPhil wrote in post #15496717 (external link)
So, I know this guy, that actually takes some decent shots. He is into a very narrow and sort of specialized field - mountaineering photography - which does give him indeed an edge.
Now, by chance and lack of competition, and mostly a pay-back favor, he was even awarded some prize for shots he donated to a mountaineering group he belongs to...
He know calls himself an "artist" really! - printed right on his FB photography page - note that the guy as a profession, and photography is indeed an hobby/ wanna-be-freelancer gig going on.
Not that he does not deserve credit for hauling sometimes 10 pounds of gear while climbing, and that indeed he has some good quality shots.
What disturbs me is, seeing him naming himself artist, when indeed he does not belong in such a category...
Now, I am not jealous - it's just a rant, because other people will perceive him as such(artist) and it will diminish the true artist perception, and lead to wrongfull perception common people have about photographers, and artists

so when does a photographer can be indeed be called an artist? or it's fine, to just got ahead and grabe the title? LOL

And what credentials do you hold to say he is not?

StillCrazy - after all these years.
Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX
My flickr (external link)

Fester
814 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 16, 2013 15:17 as a reply to  @ post 15496905 |  #26

There is no License or rating for Photographers or Artist. So we can call ourselves what ever we want. Who cares?
Plumbers and electricians cant claim to be one, unless they have the license and are registered in the state to work as such, or they are subject to fines by the authority having jurisdiction.
My Step mother has a painter(no license either) and he is so slow, but does immaculate work. so we call him an artist, behind his back.

There is nothing to stop any guy with a point and shoot camera to call himself a Professional Photographer. Much less a full frame gripped camera that looks professional.

recrisp
Goldmember
2,517 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2013 15:17 |  #27

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15497020 (external link)
I was not trying to put down those that went to Art School, I just know alot of people that never did and still call themselves an artist. I love to take photos but I do not consider myself a photographer, dont feel my skills are there yet. I have also sold some prints and what not but still dont wanna call myself a photographer.

To me a title is just a title. Some you have to earn via school or certification program (like a certified welder).

"Some" might be the key word here. :)
There are welders, and as you say, "certified welders".
The deal is, a title is just a name, but we, as workers have to be called something, so if a welder was one of the worst welders around, he'd still be one, even if he was self-taught. He may have the earned title of the worst welder in that county, but it's a title. :D
As an artist, one might be self-taught, but still be called an "artist" due to it's harder to call them a 'drawer of things'. heheh Really, it's a title, maybe not an all important one, but a name of something.

Personally, I answer to, "Hey!".:cool::rolleyes:;)

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 16, 2013 15:19 |  #28

gjl711 wrote in post #15497051 (external link)
By the way, did you go to fart school and earn a degree?

Nope, completely self-taught! :o

recrisp
Goldmember
2,517 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2013 15:21 |  #29

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15497124 (external link)
Nope, completely self-taught! :o

Soon, I bet that Donald Trump will call you and offer you 5 million dollars to prove that. :D

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

davtackett
925 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 16, 2013 15:32 |  #30

Photography is an art. For example, snapping a photo of bird may not be much of an art picture, but trying to orchestrate a photo of a bird with the right background, or in the right setting, right lighting or to capture the bird doing something interesting is all art work. Same with portraits and everything else in photography. Taking photos, then being able to find what is worthy out of the bunch is also an art form. Editing photos can be an art form as well.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

sponsored links

4,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Artist ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.