Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to reject a job.

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 19, 2013 17:33 |  #1

Hi guys,

This is the deal, short story:

This girl's mom wants to book me to photoshoot her 15 y/o girl on studio, location and to cover her fifteenth party which is a huge event almost like a wedding.

I've been in contact several time with her since early october and the event is on february.
I told her my price was US$1,500 and that included an album and several other things. She wanted a discount, fine, gave her a good discount...

We met for 3 hours in december to discuss what they wanted as far as photo shooting goes. As she already had knowledge about how much I was going to charge her, I thought she was going to separate the dates with a deposit, didnt happen, she told me that she will pay me on january. Now we've been having back and forth on the price, she wants a higher discount I said no and so on. We've ultimately agreed on everything and now she always calls me or my assistant to meet with her at the studio at certain time and never show up...

I just got tired of her, how do I tell her in a polite way that I'm not willing to take the job?

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2013 17:42 |  #2

I would just say something like "I am sorry but I am unable to take the job."

Period. End of story. No reason necessary. You just can't do it. It's not as if you actually have a deposit and contract saying you'll do it, right?

If she keeps pressing, just be up front about it and tell her she's unreliable and sketchy and you've already ceded enough discounts that her wasting your time is now costing you money. You don't WANT her as a client so who cares what she thinks or whether she runs around badmouthing you to her friends & family. If they believe her, they're as sketchy as she is and you wouldn't want them either. If they're not sketchy and would make great customers, they probably know how she is and don't think much of her opinions.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 19, 2013 17:42 |  #3

Sounds like a tough situation. Personally, if you already booked her and accepted the job, I think you should do your best to follow through. Just start being firm but polite with her.....don't let her give you the "run around". You are free to set your terms (such as payment and deposits) and she can either go along with it or not. If she refuses to meet the terms you've set up front (did she sign a contract that covered all of the terms?), then it's her who has refused your services.

ctwatkins
529 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2013 17:49 |  #4

Any type of contract in place? I'm not a professional, but it sounds like one should have been in place to protect both parties.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2013 18:01 |  #5

ctwatkins wrote in post #15509543 (external link)
Any type of contract in place? I'm not a professional, but it sounds like one should have been in place to protect both parties.

I would like clarity on this. My understanding is there isn't, and that is the source of OP's frustration.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 19, 2013 18:44 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #6

Did she leave a deposit?

if no, say another job came up and you're booked on that day.

If yes, return her deposit and tell her that you've decided against the shoot.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Markk9
284 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 19, 2013 18:51 |  #7

I really dislike people that keep asking for discounts.

I shoot mostly for fun. At a friend's birthday party shooting for fun. I got asked by a guest to shoot a sweet 16 party, she wanted me there from noon to 5 pm. I gave a price of 1K with a DVD of the edited images. She comes back asks for all the photo in RAW and $500. I just turned her down and said I do this mostly for fun, and my time is worth what I charge. I hear later from my friend that she was really pissed, I turned her down, didn't understand I do it for fun.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Lon​g Live the Eagle.

aisha13
31 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 19, 2013 19:08 |  #8

I think you should preface your email or conversation by stating the ways you've worked towards accommodating her needs, however at this point of the relationship since she has failed to uphold her part of the agreement (ie. Paying you) that you can no longer shoot the event.

The thing is, you should have never left the time of payment up to your client. You need to be the one structuring the conversation about payment and it should never be "can I pay you on x, y, or z" but that "in order to confirm this event payment is required at blank time. Failure to pay at this time releases me, the photographer of having to shoot the wedding."

Your clients need to put value to your work, and they will only so that when you put value in it And give a solid price and date of payment.

-Nadeena
www.nadeenaportraits.c​om (external link)
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

aisha13
31 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 19, 2013 19:10 |  #9

*sorry for the typos, typing on phones aren't the best. You should use this experience as a valuable lesson. Best of luck :)

-Nadeena
www.nadeenaportraits.c​om (external link)
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2013 19:16 |  #10

JacobPhoto wrote in post #15509684 (external link)
Did she leave a deposit?

I don't advocate lying.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 19, 2013 19:59 |  #11

If you don't care about this person then just say that your not interested anymore and walk away. If she persists then tell her your price went up to $3500. If this is someone that's important. .. friend of a friend or distant relative or something. ..then you might be stuck dealing with her.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 19, 2013 20:02 |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #15509779 (external link)
JacobPhoto wrote in post #15509684 (external link)
Did she leave a deposit?

I don't advocate lying.

I agree.

So send yourself an email asking if you are available to do some street photography on that day,
Send yourself a reply saying "yes, please pay $1 deposit to secure date",
Take a dollar from your pocket and put it in your other pocket,
Send the lady an email saying that as a deposit wasn't paid the date wasn't secured and you have now been booked for that date by another client and wont be available.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ctwatkins
529 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2013 20:09 |  #13

cdifoto wrote in post #15509779 (external link)
I don't advocate lying.

Agreed whole-heartedly - if no written contract was in place, an oral agreement had been made. I'd be inclined to tell her the choices are: A) I'lll complete the previously agreed to job at the agreed to price, or B) I'll walk if the terms have changed. When in doubt, honesty and straightforwardness go a long way. I've been in way too many battles to waste time making up stuff and playing games.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2013 20:55 |  #14

What does it matter if he tells her he is now booked on that particular date.
Even if he's not, she's unlikely to find out. I'm sure the OP wouldn't be telling her.
Just tell her that you can no longer do that particular date because something has come up (who cares if it's your favourite tv show or you want to go to dinner with your girlfriend/wife/mistre​ss) or to the pub with your mates and because she hadn't paid a deposit to secure your services, you are now unavailable.
No need to tell her why you're unavailable, it's none of her business why, just that you are not.
The only person you have to justify what you do with your time is you.

If you want to be really blunt, you could tell her that if she's going to be this difficult to work with before the event, that you hate to think what she'll be like after it and that it is best that you don't work with her at all.

Depending on how much she'd pi$$ed me off would depend on which one of those stories I use.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2013 21:55 |  #15

philwillmedia wrote in post #15509992 (external link)
What does it matter if he tells her he is now booked on that particular date.
Even if he's not, she's unlikely to find out. I'm sure the OP wouldn't be telling her..

Seriously? You're going to sit there and say it's perfectly okay to lie if the chances of being caught are low?

:rolleyes:

sponsored links

6,604 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to reject a job.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.