Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 19 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 23:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

photo editing difference?

satchmolouie
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 29, 2013 19:03 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Ha, well i ended up spending about the same price just about a hundred and a few less than a used macbookpro for a brand new toshiba http://www.amazon.com …psc=1&smid=A3JS​2199GQLB8L (external link)

had a good research experience on the forum looking around for reviews & such. And im sure this will last me a good while. since its only a laptop not a desktop deal.

7D, 10-22. 28-135.
Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.

sponsored links
butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 31, 2013 19:33 |  #17

Moppie wrote in post #15548171 (external link)
Because your camera is about as out dated as your advice :cool:

Lenovo was putting high end IPS screens in laptops long before Apple was.
A lot of windows based laptops use lower end screens than the Macbooks, a lot use exactly the same screens, and some used higher end screens.
Currently only Apple is using very high resolution screens in laptops (Retina displays), but it is still a new idea and there is limited supply and doubt as to how useful they really are.

Apple computers in general, including Mac Books have used the same processors as Windows based computers since they switched to Intel. There is no longer any hardware performance difference, except that Apple is often behind the development curve, usually switching to the latest and fastest Intel processors after they have been in the market for 6-12 months.

Upgrades are pay more options, and in more and more cases things like RAM are being soldered to the board, meaning you have to pay extra to get the upgrades from Apple at the time of purchase.
It's becoming more and more common in the industry in general as it saves on space and reduces the number of parts in the manufacturing process. It also lets you rort your customers.

Look at the Lenovo w530 with the 1900 x 1080 wide gamut display. It is excellent and very easy to upgrade up to 32 GIG of RAM and 2 hard drives in an under 6 pound package. It is very easy to pack and transport too.The wide gamut display is 95% Adobe RGB even the MBP retina is only sRGB. For smaller look at the x230. I just went through comparing everything out there now and the most value and build quality with easy upgrades the w530 was hard to beat.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 01, 2013 00:04 |  #18

butterfly2937 wrote in post #15557883 (external link)
Look at the Lenovo w530 with the 1900 x 1080 wide gamut display. It is excellent and very easy to upgrade up to 32 GIG of RAM and 2 hard drives in am under 6 pound package. It is very easy to pack and transport too.The wide gamut display is 95% Adobe RGB even the MBP retina is only sRGB. For smaller look at the x230. I just went through comparing everything out there now and the most value and build quality with easy upgrades the w530 was hard to beat.

That Lenovo is quite the beast! :) I started to drool a little and then had to turn off the computer.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2013 09:15 |  #19

BrickR wrote in post #15558736 (external link)
That Lenovo is quite the beast! :) I started to drool a little and then had to turn off the computer.

I am very impressed with mine and the size is very easy to pack in my camera bag. Traveling with it is easy and the processing power is excellent, definitely a work horse I will gets many years out of it. With a intuos 5 tablet it is like having a mobile desktop. It is a pleasure to use and has good battery life and fantastic battery life with one of the Lenovo extended life batteries.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 01, 2013 21:02 |  #20

I have an X220 (the previous model to the X230) and I prefer it to the 230, mostly because the 220's keyboard is better. It travels exceedingly well and supports both a mSATA SSD (under the keyboard) and a second 2.5" 7mm laptop drive, which can be a (much) larger rotating disk (up to 500GB is available in the single-platter form factor that will fit.)

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

satchmolouie
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 02, 2013 01:10 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

^^ is this the right model you were talking about?
http://www.amazon.com …7&keywords=leno​vo+x220+i7 (external link)

7D, 10-22. 28-135.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 02, 2013 15:08 |  #22

That's the convertible tablet and I don't know if it has the IPS display or not.

This one is very similar if not identical, but I have 8G RAM in mine (easily upgraded) and I also added my own SSD. This also appears to have the less-nice Wifi adapter (you can find the good ones on FleaBay for about $20 though and swap it easily, and you SHOULD -- the better one is a LOT faster.) Mine also came with Windows 7 Pro rather than Home Premium as well, and I have subsequently bought the "+++" battery (which returns 6-8 hours of life on a charge in my typical use; the stock "++" battery is good for about 4 hours or so in typical use.)

http://www.amazon.com …1&keywords=leno​vo+x220+i7 (external link)

I've had mine now for roughly two years and there's nothing on the market I'd replace it with today. It's NOT a gaming machine (the display processor isn't all that fast) but as a nice, fast, very portable laptop with an excellent display it's awesome.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

satchmolouie
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 05, 2013 02:00 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Overall is it going to make a significant difference in my post processing with what kind of computer i get?

like this http://www.amazon.com …psc=1&smid=A1U9​HDFCZO1A84 (external link) compare to the lenovo

7D, 10-22. 28-135.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 05, 2013 14:00 |  #24

No, other than perhaps speed.

My laptop is a mobile office machine, basically. I want something portable and reasonable to carry around, and sacrifice screen real estate to get that. It's ok for photo editing but while it will do video editing you won't like the wait for rendering on it at all.

satchmolouie
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 06, 2013 01:25 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

tickerguy wrote in post #15575666 (external link)
No, other than perhaps speed.

My laptop is a mobile office machine, basically. I want something portable and reasonable to carry around, and sacrifice screen real estate to get that. It's ok for photo editing but while it will do video editing you won't like the wait for rendering on it at all.

If i do video editing, id defiantly do it on a my friends imac.

Also check this out

http://www.toshibadire​ct.com …c/pdet.to?poid=​2000043256 (external link)

For just 50 bucks more.

what do you think?

7D, 10-22. 28-135.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 06, 2013 15:46 |  #26

Machine looks ok but for laptops the screen and KB are the big deals.... hard to know without seeing and touching :)

sponsored links

3,124 views & 0 likes for this thread
photo editing difference?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.