Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you think Canon 'missed the boat'?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,208 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 23, 2013 11:44 |  #76

pwm2 wrote in post #15524326 (external link)
Please read slower. I haven't said that it isn't possible to have a mechanical solution.

But look at the alternatives between Sony and Canon. Canon have a big offering of good lenses with very good IS. Sony hasn't.

So Sony is way more motivated to spend a huge amount of time implementing and testing a mechanical IS in the camera, because of the even larger amount of time and cost to release a new set of lenses with IS.

One disadvantage with IS in the camera is that it doesn't work in the view finder so with big tele lenses it will still be hard to hand-hold and aim carefully.

Another thing here is that a small shake with a wide-angle lens hardly gives any camera shake in the photo. While a small shake with a big tele lens gives a huge blur in the photo. IS in the lens works better because it is designed specifically with the relevant focal length in mind. And while sensor solutions normally just shift the sensor sideways, an optical solution can twist the lens element when you twist the lens.

Shaking the sensor easy? Remember one thing. The sensor is an electronic component designed to read out hundreds of megabyte of data every second. Shaking it is a bit more complicated than shaking a piece of glass that isn't attached to the rest of the camera equipment with any electrical wires. If the electrical connects to the sensor fails, your camera is dead. If the IS in a lens fails, you can switch lens. Or you may even be able to continue to use that lens, but without IS.

A sensor failure in a $100 camera isn't an issue. Having the same in a $3500 camera just after the warranty ended, would be a much bigger issue. The sensor isn't exactly the cheapest part in a high-end DSLR.

So no, your "shaking the sensor should be cake in comparison" really sounds like you have ignored a couple of steps when you made your conclusion.

couple points
1. In body IS and lens IS can and should be mutually exclusive.
2. shaking the sensor has existed for over a decade, maybe longer. It's not new tech, especially for a company like canon... it's cake to them.
3. Dont see how a shaking sensor would be less reliable than a slapping shutter.

Your not saying that Canon's missing the boat? Read the thread title again, and please remind me what the goal with this thread is about.

no I'm not, I'm saying that canon IS the boat, they can get away with skimping features != missing the boat (falling behind)

clearly canon is a strong company, and I dont think they are falling behind in terms as sales and market presence compared to nikon or sony.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 23, 2013 12:15 |  #77

Charlie wrote in post #15524441 (external link)
couple points
1. In body IS and lens IS can and should be mutually exclusive.

Of course.

2. shaking the sensor has existed for over a decade, maybe longer. It's not new tech, especially for a company like canon... it's cake to them.

Except that the normal thing is that video cameras have had digital IS - the sensor have extra pixels and the software compares the two frames to decide how many pixels to shift the image vertically and horisontally.

And the other thing is that most mechanical solutions have truly been tiny sensors.

3. Dont see how a shaking sensor would be less reliable than a slapping shutter.

No. But look at the cost of replacing a shutter. Figure the cost of replacing a sensor instead...

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 23, 2013 15:05 |  #78

Please read slower. I haven't said that it isn't possible to have a mechanical solution.

But look at the alternatives between Sony and Canon. Canon have a big offering of good lenses with very good IS. Sony hasn't.

So Sony is way more motivated to spend a huge amount of time implementing and testing a mechanical IS in the camera, because of the even larger amount of time and cost to release a new set of lenses with IS.

One disadvantage with IS in the camera is that it doesn't work in the view finder so with big tele lenses it will still be hard to hand-hold and aim carefully.

Another thing here is that a small shake with a wide-angle lens hardly gives any camera shake in the photo. While a small shake with a big tele lens gives a huge blur in the photo. IS in the lens works better because it is designed specifically with the relevant focal length in mind. And while sensor solutions normally just shift the sensor sideways, an optical solution can twist the lens element when you twist the lens.

Shaking the sensor easy? Remember one thing. The sensor is an electronic component designed to read out hundreds of megabyte of data every second. Shaking it is a bit more complicated than shaking a piece of glass that isn't attached to the rest of the camera equipment with any electrical wires. If the electrical connects to the sensor fails, your camera is dead. If the IS in a lens fails, you can switch lens. Or you may even be able to continue to use that lens, but without IS.

A sensor failure in a $100 camera isn't an issue. Having the same in a $3500 camera just after the warranty ended, would be a much bigger issue. The sensor isn't exactly the cheapest part in a high-end DSLR.

So no, your "shaking the sensor should be cake in comparison" really sounds like you have ignored a couple of steps when you made your conclusion.

Your not saying that Canon's missing the boat? Read the thread title again, and please remind me what the goal with this thread is about.

I think that's a HUGE disadvantage to in body IS.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2013 15:48 |  #79

Not only does it not stabilise the viewfinder it doesnt stabilise the image for the autofocus / pdaf sensor.

Sensor shift IS is OK for P&S but please keep it on the lens for SLR...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 23, 2013 16:38 |  #80

The main and sole issue with Canon currently is falling behind in sensor technology. And that's basically it.

Using this chart http://home.comcast.ne​t/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR​.htm (external link) to compare dynamic range VS ISO of 5dmiii, 1dx with D600, D800E. Basically Canon did not have any new sensor technology since 2008. 5dmkiii and 1dx have the same sensor as in 5dmkii. Any perceived improvements (small) are due to better processing not because of a better sensor.

D600 and D800E has better dynamic range than 5dmkiii until about ISO800 and they are about equal after that. Still in many situations, if you can use optimal ETTR exposure you can achieve quite a clean shadow with current Canon sensors.

On the other fronts such as lens selection, auto-focus, ergonomics, service and support etc., Canon is at least equal or still having a competitive advantage.

Of course, there are other small nit-picking features Canon doesn't have but they aren't that important to say "missing the boat".

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 23, 2013 16:54 |  #81

Canon hasn't missed the boat.

They are right were they want to be.

If the dynamic range examples given, were the only criteria then I would agree (Canon missed the boat). Fortunately there are many more facets to photography.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 23, 2013 16:59 |  #82

davidc502 wrote in post #15525616 (external link)

If the dynamic range examples given, were the only criteria then I would agree (Canon missed the boat). Fortunately there are many more facets to photography.

Definitely +1

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 23, 2013 17:15 |  #83
bannedPermanent ban

I really didn't have any complaints until I read this thread. I guess the two things mentioned that I would most like to see are some built-in memory, and a return to the option of eye-controlled AF. The memory could be done for pennies for 4GB, and ECAF would be a snap with today's lightning fast processors. My Elan 7NE can do what ever I ask it to do. I don't use ECAF much, but it has never resulted in a bunch of OOF shots.

Gear List

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 23, 2013 17:34 |  #84

I think Canon's issues started when they started spending a huge portion of their R&D budget in the Mid 2000s on trying to get into the TV business. Canon wanted to be the leader in high end OLED TVs and spent tons of money on the effort. The big spend on TVs seem to correspond with a decline in cutting edge camera developments.

One of the other big declines started with the release of the original Rebel. They took the insides of a 10D, put it in a cheap body and then commented out code to lower the ability of the camera. After this for a number of years Canon seemed more concerned about keeping 1Dxx sales high by lowering camera capabilities. A classic example is the 5DMK2. Canon had several decent AF system they could have modified for use, but in my opinion they kept the 5Dc's AF to keep it from hurting 1Dxx sales.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,307 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2013 19:04 |  #85

I don't think they have missed the boat. Do they give us the best, most useful cameras for the dollar? No, at least not always. But their goal isn't to give us what we want or what we need - rather, it is to get us to spend our money on their products. They are very good at achieving that goal, and I really don't see what all they could have done to get more of our money (without them spending too much to get it).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 23, 2013 20:23 |  #86

vaflower wrote in post #15525539 (external link)
The main and sole issue with Canon currently is falling behind in sensor technology. And that's basically it.

True though... the shadow noise performance of the 6D is improved over the 5D3. There is a slight improvement in dynamic range, 11.7 EV vs 12.1 EV. But more importantly there is less noise near the bottom of the range in the 6D. The 6D has Canon's best sensor, certainly isn't matching the D800 but getting closer.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 23, 2013 20:26 |  #87

I love Canon and NIkon both, they both make quality gear. Comptetition is good for us.

I think canon really missed it onthe 6D by only ONE card slot and no pop up flash. A pop up flash to me is like a 300 add on for canon via a wireless canon trigger vs a built it one on a nikon. I"m sure their some cheaper ones like radio poppers, but looks like this should be built in the cameras now. They should just build in RF to all the bodies.

I really wondor where cameras will be in 10 years?

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,218 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 23, 2013 21:06 |  #88

davidc502 wrote in post #15525616 (external link)

Exactly. And Nikon's cameras, as good as the sensors are, are far from perfect. i.e. look up all the issues they have with dust, and AF hesitation, and AF accuracy issues with the outer points. Granted, just like anything else on the internet, these issues are likely blown out of proportion (like the supposed terrible DR of the canon's FF sensors), but it illustrates the point that no camera is ever perfect, and its useless to get butt-hurt over how a camera performs on paper, or how it performs in shooting conditions that are irrelevant to real world use.

In real world shooting, the differences between Canon and Nikon's offerings at a given price point is marginal, and the photographers skill will always take precedent over the performance of the camera. As such, I think sometimes we spend too much time obsessing over gear, and not enough time obsessing over technique!

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 23, 2013 21:44 |  #89

mystik610 wrote in post #15526382 (external link)
(like the supposed terrible DR of the canon's FF sensors),

And crop sensors. The EV range on the 5D3 is 11.7, on the 7D it's also 11.7. The D7000 has an EV range of 13.9 and the D800's is 14.4.
So the dynamic range advantage Nikon has is similar on both crops and full frames.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 23, 2013 21:58 |  #90

Ruggo wrote in post #15518783 (external link)
Agreed, loved it on my EOS 3. Also, as I'm a lazy bugger, I loved that Auto DOF ability on the EOS 3.

YES! I want my eye control AF back! :-) I remember when I first got my 7D and thinking "I have all these AF points and I need to manually scroll two controls or a joystick to select one?" It was really weird after all those years in the 1990s having access to technology that would let me choose my point by simply looking at it.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

16,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you think Canon 'missed the boat'?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.