Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you think Canon 'missed the boat'?

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 24, 2013 23:01 |  #121

Jon_Doh wrote in post #15527685 (external link)
What non L lenses were you using?

I've owned 50/1.8 35/2 18-55 18-55 is 17-85 17-135 28/2.8 28/1.8 and I'm sure some others. But I've used most of the canon's glass which I was considering getting. It's been awhile.

I know from first hand experience your statement is not true.

Which statement?

And you think Nikon cameras are lighter? Have you compared the weight of comparable cameras? Since Nikon puts motors in most of their camera bodies they tend to weigh more. And their lens line up is a nightmare to figure out - AF, AF-S, D, G, etc.

Nikon and canon are twins. They match their lineup model for model. I'm considering other brands or even other designs.

Why won't they make a full frame mirrorless for example?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links
Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2013 06:21 |  #122

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15530886 (external link)
Why won't they make a full frame mirrorless for example?

Because that would mean a new mount and a lot of lenses to be produced to that mount.
You have to consider that people buying into Full Frame are usually serious amateurs or professionals. We want good quality, long lasting, almost perfect lenses to pair with that sensor. That means R&D.
Of course they could use an adapter like the EOS-M has and use the EF Mount, but you'd lose the whole portability of the system, as EF lenses are big and heavy.

That said, I´m pretty sure it will eventually happen. Some day.

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 25, 2013 06:48 |  #123

les24preludes wrote in post #15528040 (external link)
I'm interested in why Nikon is seen as the obvious alternative to Canon. Obviously it is in full frame, which is what a lot of you guys are working in, but what about those of us using cropped sensors?

Is there no love for Pentax?

To me Pentax's problem was simply that there was no option to go full frame. However there are rumors of a Pentax full frame coming out in 2013-2014 (finally!). Inbody IS and full frame does sound very appealing to me, since I prefer using primes which don't have IS available in lens anyways in Canon / Nikon camps... :)

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 25, 2013 08:03 |  #124
bannedPermanent ban

RobDickinson wrote in post #15525323 (external link)
Not only does it not stabilise the viewfinder it doesnt stabilise the image for the autofocus / pdaf sensor.

Sensor shift IS is OK for P&S but please keep it on the lens for SLR...

Why not both that can work together utilizing one when the other is not present. I don't see it as one or the other...but both.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 25, 2013 10:06 |  #125

Sorry kids, but Bose has never been "high-end" audio anything. They are "fanboi" audio and always have been. In other words, they're a snob brand rather than one that people who know what they're doing buy.

Canon's biggest flaw has been refusing to embrace the paradigm that software can never drive what you produce -- precision and capability on the hardware end always does that. Software is what you use to put an ergonomic interface on the hardware. This is coming from a guy who has done this stuff for 30+ years in both "business" and "embedded" environments.

The sensor lead they had has been eroded and IMHO they stumbled badly by not anticipating and reacting to the move toward HD Video. At the same time they're behind transfer-speed technology. It is entirely possible today to read an entire sensor in 1/30th of a second, meaning that you can support 30fps video for real with interpolation in the camera instead of line-skipping as is done now. Coupled with taking full advantage of whatever speed the card has you could easily design an effectively-infinite buffer depth for common frame rates.

Consider the 7d. 25 Megabytes, roughly, is the file size. It can shoot 8fps. So if we read the sensor in 1/30th of a second we can then interpolate and write video without mosaic issues and in addition we gain massive native resolution.

Ok, so let's go further with this idea. How fast does the card have to transfer to support 8fps? Too fast, today -- 25Mb X 8 = 200 Megabytes/second. And by the way, you can't get there with rotating media today either -- but you CAN with some SSDs!

But -- 4fps FOREVER is achievable with today's CF cards. Yes, expensive ones, but they can do it. And tomorrow's will do 200. You can get 90Mbps rates out of SDHC cards in some cases now too, which means that a 4fps "forever" raw rate is achievable.

All of this requires hardware support up and down the line, and Canon didn't do it. Nobody else did either, which means that if Canon had they'd own the market on both video and still sides.

What would this have done to price? Surprisingly little. The expense for most part is on the R&D side; once it's done the reproduction cost is relatively modest. Yeah, it might have put $100 on the lower-end cameras, and $200 or so on the higher end ones.

But they'd be unbeatable cameras in several applications. Now add sensor technology improvements at the same time and things get even more interesting.

You have to innovate to stay on top. Canon is a great company and I love my Canon cameras, but I wish they'd get off the ball on this stuff.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 25, 2013 13:41 |  #126

Tmuussoni wrote in post #15531559 (external link)
To me Pentax's problem was simply that there was no option to go full frame. However there are rumors of a Pentax full frame coming out in 2013-2014 (finally!). Inbody IS and full frame does sound very appealing to me, since I prefer using primes which don't have IS available in lens anyways in Canon / Nikon camps... :)

Remember this?

"DENVER, Colorado (February 10, 2001) . . . PENTAX Corporation will preview a new digital autofocus SLR camera (which has not yet been named) at the PMA (Photo Marketing Association) Show held in Orlando, February 11-14, 2001."

If it had happened then I wouldn't have gone to Canon because I could have used all my large aperture PK mount MF lenses.

sponsored links

16,768 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you think Canon 'missed the boat'?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.