Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 09:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how can i find the stars rotation?

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 22, 2013 09:56 |  #1

hello everyone.
i've tried to do a little star trails photography and this was the result:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8045/8381807986_e532a1056b_b.jpg
[/URL]

so, as you can see, i didn't capture the spinning that i wish to photograph. you know, when there's one star in the middle which isn't moving and all of the other stars make a circle around him?
i think i heard somewhere that the star im looking for is called "polar" or something.. is that right?
and how can i find this star?
i live in israel if that matters.
thanks for helping

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
AmitShinde0511
112 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 22, 2013 11:00 |  #2

Where was your camera facing? Your camera position should be facing North East sky to get star trails in circles.

500px (external link)

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 22, 2013 11:09 |  #3

i was facing east.
you sure i should point my camera to north-east regardless of my country?

Canon t3i

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,605 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2013 11:17 |  #4

Romax12 wrote in post #15519974 (external link)
i was facing east.
you sure i should point my camera to north-east regardless of my country?

Point north in the northern hemisphere and south in the southern hemisphere. The farther from the poles you are, the more difficult it will be to get the circles you are looking for. Stars do rotate around each other but to capture that rotation you will need a shutter speed in the order of several million years or more.

The circular pattern you see is the earth rotating. In the northern hemisphere Polaris is very close to the point of rotation so it looks as if all the others stars are rotating around it. From Israel I'm thinking that Polaris is very low on the horizon and you will not be able to get very much rotation around it, but that's the star you're looking for.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 22, 2013 11:20 |  #5

northern hemisphere photogs point to Polaris. Southern Hemisphere folks point towards Sigma Octantis.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 22, 2013 12:21 |  #6

I talked to a buddy who's an astro-physicist... he confirms that you should be pointing towards Polaris... but.. I'm wondering if Polaris is below the horizon for you.

I did a quick Google search for Star Trails over Israel, and everything I managed to find looked like yours. I couldn't find anything with the tighter circles that you'd be able to get when pointed to Polaris.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,605 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2013 12:24 |  #7

va_rider wrote in post #15520286 (external link)
I talked to a buddy who's an astro-physicist... he confirms that you should be pointing towards Polaris... but.. I'm wondering if Polaris is below the horizon for you..

Shouldn't be below the horizon but it's going to be so low that it will be hard to find.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 22, 2013 12:33 |  #8

I've got an app (SkySafari for the iphone) that identifies where all the stars are in the sky based on where I point the phone. It is a helpful tool to get that "spinning" effect.

North

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6202/6079734626_9f376f2277_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/karampatsos/6​079734626/  (external link)
Startrails sans Satellites (external link) by JasonMK™ (external link), on Flickr

compared to same spot looking SouthEast
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8073/8290334351_c8bb778cca_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/karampatsos/8​290334351/  (external link)
Startrail December 19, 2012 (external link) by JasonMK™ (external link), on Flickr

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

RAWuser
67 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 22, 2013 13:18 |  #9

Romax12 wrote in post #15519693 (external link)
hello everyone.
i've tried to do a little star trails photography and this was the result:

QUOTED IMAGE

Lovely image and color! I think your camera was pointing to the South-east in this image as that constellation in the center look like Canis Major to me. If so, you've bagged the brightest star, Sirius, in the night sky in this image. It's that bright streak in the center.

=]

so, as you can see, i didn't capture the spinning that i wish to photograph. you know, when there's one star in the middle which isn't moving and all of the other stars make a circle around him?
i think i heard somewhere that the star im looking for is called "polar" or something.. is that right?
and how can i find this star?
i live in israel if that matters.
thanks for helping

Get a magnetic compass, a GPS unit, or a map of your area. Find your North and point your camera that way. :-)

P.S. You are on a higher latitude than where I am and as long as there are no obstructions (trees, buildings, etc) in my view, I can see Polaris just fine. Which means Polaris is in view for you, too.

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 22, 2013 13:46 |  #10

ok. thanx for all the comments. will try that in the upcoming days. and again thanx!

Canon t3i

doug ­ waters
148 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 23, 2013 17:06 as a reply to  @ Romax12's post |  #11

nice shot!

get stellatium (external link) it's free!

according to stellarium you are near 32° N latitude, i'm near 36° N latitude, so you are a little further south. here is a pic i shot earlier this month.

good luck!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DougWatersFotos (external link)
flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 23, 2013 17:16 |  #12

JasonMK wrote in post #15520348 (external link)
I've got an app (SkySafari for the iphone) that identifies where all the stars are in the sky based on where I point the phone. It is a helpful tool to get that "spinning" effect.

Yep, and if you've got an Android phone Google Sky Map works the same way, and it's free.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 23, 2013 17:23 |  #13

One of the best ways to find polaris is to find the big dipper, draw a line from the star the is located at the outer bottom corner of the pot to the star that is located at the outer upper corner of the pot and continue to the brightest star you see. Depending on time of year, the big dipper may be upside down, right side up or tipping as if to be pouring something out. If you fix the center of your lens on that star you should get circles around that point.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 24, 2013 03:59 |  #14

zerovision wrote in post #15525713 (external link)
Depending on time of year, the big dipper may be upside down, right side up or tipping as if to be pouring something out.

Depending on your location on the planet (and time of year) the Big Dipper may be visible all night, visible part of the night or not visible at all. During the summer months people at the OP's latitude will have the Big Dipper below the horizon for most of the night.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 24, 2013 17:23 |  #15

Just take a compass with your and point your camera Exactly north right down the line. You may not be able to see polaris but it doesn't matter because what ever you frame as your subject matter will get field rotation around it as long as you are pointing North. Also if you have a panhead, angle finder, or iphone/android with angle finder app set your camera mount's angle to the correct latitude of your location and aim north and you will have the stars rotate around the center of your image.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links

2,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
how can i find the stars rotation?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.