Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 07:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a 50mm f1.4. Are there any good ones?

Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 24, 2013 08:10 |  #46

nothsa wrote in post #15523566 (external link)
I've been looking to get a 50mm f1.4 lens and was initially looking at the Canon, and then later started looking at the Sigma as I liked the bokeh more in comparison photos.

After reading a number of reviews and forums, the consensus seems to be that both lenses are great when they work, but "don't buy the Sigma 'cause you may get one with front- or back-focussing issues" and "don't buy the Canon because it's very soft wide open, and has a fragile focus mechanism that can easily break".

So my question is: Are these people being overly critical, or are these valid concerns? If so, I might have to start looking at a different focal length for my portrait lens =/

Everything has been pretty much said in this thread. But if you don't mind manual focusing, I recommend the superb Asahi Pentax S-M-C Super-takumar 50mm f1.4. With any luck, you can find them on a good price, and I would dare to say they beat the Canon f1.4 and Sigma f1.4 in overall image quality (bokeh, contrast, colors). And since you have a crop body, there shouldn't be any problems with mirror. However, if you someday update to full frame, then there might be problems with the lens hitting the mirror...

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links
vspector
180 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 24, 2013 09:17 |  #47

Sirrith wrote in post #15526524 (external link)
Build quality obviously is not great. However, build quality has no impact on a photo. IQ-wise the 50/1.8 is pretty much as good as the more expensive versions, and though the AF is slower, it is more than good enough. You don't use a fast 50 to shoot sports or birds in flight. The rest is down to the photographer.

http://www.adorama.com …lens-shoot-out-f18-or-f14 (external link)

i'm not talking about build quality, i don't expect that too be good given the price point. Its soft, has THE harshest bokeh i've ever seen. if you can't tell the difference in IQ between this lens and the more expensive versions, then keep on shooting with it, the real lenses are not for you. while its capable of producing images that your granmda finds fantastic, relatively speaking they're significantly worse.

550D | Tamron 17-50 | Speedlite 600 RT

ride5000
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2013 09:28 |  #48

lots of douchebaggery in here! lol

flickr (external link)

5dc w/ee-s, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokinon 35mm f/1.4, rokinon 8mm f/3.5, sigma 24 f/1.8, canon 35-135 f/3.5-4.5, canon 50mm f/1.8, nikkor s-auto 50mm f/1.4, tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 430ex2, pcb e640, oc-3, st-e2, pixel knight tr332, DiCAPac WPS10, b+w 10 stop nd, hoya hd cpl, kenko ext. tubes, brolly, diy softbox, etc.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 24, 2013 09:36 |  #49

Just going to leave this here. 100% crop from my 5D2 using the 50 1.4 @ f2.8. Its a sharp lens!

This image is not SOOC though, this is after I did my usual post work which includes Lightroom and Photoshop adjustments.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Looks much better on my 21" monitor than the skewed tiny 1024px version that the forum limits it to.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,185 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2013 09:48 as a reply to  @ Tony_Stark's post |  #50

artyH wrote in post #15526065 (external link)
I have the Canon version. It is sharp at apertures larger than F2 (f1.6, 1.8, etc.) with accurate AF. I always keep mine stored with hood on in the normal position to prtotect the front lens assembly. It never comes off the lens.
Once any of these lenses are stopped down to F2.8, they are going to be very sharp.

^^^ This pretty much says what I was going to :)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,004 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 24, 2013 10:31 |  #51

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15527945 (external link)
Just going to leave this here. 100% crop from my 5D2 using the 50 1.4 @ f2.8. Its a sharp lens!

This image is not SOOC though, this is after I did my usual post work which includes Lightroom and Photoshop adjustments.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Looks much better on my 21" monitor than the skewed tiny 1024px version that the forum limits it to.

Yours may be sharp, they are not all that way. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

The ­ Greek
32 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 24, 2013 13:31 |  #52

Sold my Canon and and replaced it with the Sigma, the Sigma just felt better balanced on a 5d.
No focusing issues, sharper and better build, the Canon looks and feels like a toy lens next to the Sigma.

Not saying all copies are perfect straight out the box like mine, but I don't believe that Sigma QC is as bad as people say, if it was, they wouldn't offer a 3 year warranty with this lens.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 24, 2013 18:57 |  #53

vspector wrote in post #15527863 (external link)
i'm not talking about build quality, i don't expect that too be good given the price point. Its soft, has THE harshest bokeh i've ever seen. if you can't tell the difference in IQ between this lens and the more expensive versions, then keep on shooting with it, the real lenses are not for you. while its capable of producing images that your granmda finds fantastic, relatively speaking they're significantly worse.

Harshest bokeh you have ever seen? Really? You obviously haven't seen much then. Or are you talking about the pentagon shaped specular highlights which aren't really harsh "bokeh"? Let me assure you, a client is not going to notice the shape of the highlights. IQ wise? It is pretty much as sharp as the other versions, has similar distortion, similar CA.

Let me put it to you in way which you may find easier to understand:
Give a 50/1.8 to a good photographer who is using the 50/1.2, and you will not see any difference in her photos save maybe for slightly deeper DOF which you won't notice unless looking at images side by side anyway.

Give a 50/1.2 to someone shooting crap photos with a 50/1.8, you aren't going to see any difference in the results either.

Give either one of them this:
http://www.amazon.com …LEGO-Camera/dp/B002L6I9Z4 (external link)
and you will see a difference. That is what a toy is. The 50/1.8 is not a toy.

As for the personal attacks, I will ignore them because you are obviously not capable of mature discussion. I knew there was a good reason you were on my ignore list.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

2cruise
Goldmember
4,403 posts
Gallery: 655 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 24, 2013 19:23 as a reply to  @ The Greek's post |  #54

My 1.4 behaves nicely.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/8411967227_d48f839994_c.jpg

5D Mark IV~1D Mark IV~100-400L II IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 25mm f2~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Sigma 24-105 Art~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 24, 2013 21:10 |  #55

Sirrith wrote in post #15529911 (external link)
Harshest bokeh you have ever seen? Really? You obviously haven't seen much then. Or are you talking about the pentagon shaped specular highlights which aren't really harsh "bokeh"? Let me assure you, a client is not going to notice the shape of the highlights. IQ wise? It is pretty much as sharp as the other versions, has similar distortion, similar CA.

Let me put it to you in way which you may find easier to understand:
Give a 50/1.8 to a good photographer who is using the 50/1.2, and you will not see any difference in her photos save maybe for slightly deeper DOF which you won't notice unless looking at images side by side anyway.

Give a 50/1.2 to someone shooting crap photos with a 50/1.8, you aren't going to see any difference in the results either.

Give either one of them this:
http://www.amazon.com …LEGO-Camera/dp/B002L6I9Z4 (external link)
and you will see a difference. That is what a toy is. The 50/1.8 is not a toy.

As for the personal attacks, I will ignore them because you are obviously not capable of mature discussion. I knew there was a good reason you were on my ignore list.

Actually, 50mm f/1.8 defocus blur can be kind of rough depending on the circumstances...enough that you can be distracted by it. It's not the harshest ever but it can be the opposite of pleasant.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 24, 2013 21:47 |  #56

cdifoto wrote in post #15530438 (external link)
Actually, 50mm f/1.8 defocus blur can be kind of rough depending on the circumstances...enough that you can be distracted by it. It's not the harshest ever but it can be the opposite of pleasant.

Yes, but the same applies to the 1.4 version's nervous bokeh... :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 24, 2013 21:50 |  #57

Sirrith wrote in post #15530600 (external link)

Yes it's not perfect either. It's not quite as jittery though.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 24, 2013 21:52 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #58

Sirrith wrote:
I will however, be in possession of both versions of the 1.8 and the 1.4 in a few hours time, so I will do some testing.

Well, I just did some quick testing and so far these are my impressions:
Build quality equal
MF ring quality better on the 1.8 Mk I, the 1.4 is a little bit stiff, so fine adjustments are a bit harder to make. But then the 1.4 has FTM, so that evens it out IMO.
Sharpness ever so slightly better on the 1.4
CA ever so slightly better on the 1.8 Mk I
AF speed about equal, a nod to the 1.4 perhaps, but much quieter on the 1.4

Other things I noticed:
The bokeh balls on the 1.4 are a bit bigger at the same apertures than the 1.8

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 24, 2013 22:41 |  #59

Anthon wrote in post #15523790 (external link)
I had 50mm 1.4 and it had focusing issues - no way you could get it to focus in less than f2.8, which kinda defeated the purpose of the lens.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Every EF lens on a modern Canon camera focuses wide open and then stops down at the instant of the shot.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

ride5000
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 25, 2013 05:14 |  #60

Sirrith wrote in post #15530600 (external link)

for me, wide open for wide open, i prefer the 1.8 over the 1.4. the 1.4 bokeh REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

ymmv of course
ken

flickr (external link)

5dc w/ee-s, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokinon 35mm f/1.4, rokinon 8mm f/3.5, sigma 24 f/1.8, canon 35-135 f/3.5-4.5, canon 50mm f/1.8, nikkor s-auto 50mm f/1.4, tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 430ex2, pcb e640, oc-3, st-e2, pixel knight tr332, DiCAPac WPS10, b+w 10 stop nd, hoya hd cpl, kenko ext. tubes, brolly, diy softbox, etc.

sponsored links

11,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a 50mm f1.4. Are there any good ones?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.