Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is best landscape lens

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2013 10:35 |  #31

Thank Tmuuosini, I lwill test a zeiss, and yes too on Samyang.

Noisejammer, I relooked, that was the transit of Venus.
my image of the transit

IMAGE: http://tonyniev.smugmug.com/Astronomy/Transit-of-Venus/i-xTVcTCW/1/L/Transit%20of%20Venus-TonyNievera-12-L.jpg

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

sponsored links
jerbear00
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 26, 2013 14:02 |  #32

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15532575 (external link)
17 or 24 TS-E

Zeiss 21

Zeiss 15

Yup! I agree with Todd. That pretty much sums it up.

Also, dear Canon::::::::: I am still waiting for a 14-24....

And if you could make it f4.... if that will prevent a bulbous front element that would be great.... Credit card in hand

5d3 & Lens CoLLector
Gear List/Feedback

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 26, 2013 15:23 |  #33

The best landscape lens would be a zooming tilt shift. Until then, they all suck in one way or another. ;)

16-35 LII = one stop shop for covering many forms of landscapes and nightscapes
24L 1.4 = For wide open star photos
Nikon 14-24 = for 14mm night photos with virtually no vignetting (best there is)
Tilt Shifts = if they happen to be the right focal length
70-200 F4L IS = The highest rated telephoto zoom lens on Photozone in all categories added up
14L II = Nearly distortion free compared to a Nikon 14-24
24-105 f4L IS = Great zoom range and general stopped down sharpness for stitching panoramas
17-40 f4 L = For people on a budget. Best bang for buck out there.

See, it all depends on what you want to do with your gear. Landscape photography is too broad of a term and needs to be specified into various and vastly different form of landscape photography.

My 500PX (external link)

Miranda1
Goldmember
1,371 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 26, 2013 15:28 |  #34

Based on my current lens lineup

Zeiss 21 ZE or Canon 24 TSE mark 2 difficult to decide between the two, each has it's strength's and I tend to use them for different purposes

Zeiss 15 ZE haven't had it long enough to determine if I prefer it to the 21 or 24 based on the type of shooting I do.

Also had the 17-40 was pretty decent especially on a crop body, nowhere near as sharp in the corners as the 21,24 or 15 but nevertheless still pretty good.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, 135 GM,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2013 15:31 |  #35

Nice inputs validating a trend/norm.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 26, 2013 17:50 |  #36

tonyniev wrote in post #15532521 (external link)
Have shot many landscape photos with 24-105 mm and 17-40 mm on 5D2 and now looking at buying a better lens! What would you recommend?

24-70 II
perhaps 24 IS
24 TSE II
70-300L
zeiss 21
zeiss 25 (I forget which one, one is a lot better for this sort of thing than the other)
bower 14 if you want something insanely wide (LOTS of distortion but barely any CA and insanely sharp, yes to the farthest edges on FF! and the price!)
17 TSE if you like UWA

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 26, 2013 17:52 |  #37

JeffreyG wrote in post #15533734 (external link)
It is worth pointing out that far too many people think 'ultra wide' when they hear 'landscape'.

To be sure, a wide angle is typically used more for landscapes than anything else, but I would think 24mm is probably wide enough (on FF) for most people. Not that you can't use wider from time to time.

But having tilt shift is also very handy, especially in a wide lens.

That's why I suggested starting with either the 17mm or 24mm TS-E (the 17mm would be the most flexible as it can be cropped while the 24mm cannot be widened).

But a second priority would be something longer, probably a 70-200 but maybe even a 100-400. I'm not a landscape photographer (I'm not available at the right time of day due to having four kids and a job), but some of the most interesting 'landscape' photos I have taken have been with a long telephoto.

+1

I use my 70-300L as much as I did my 24 1.4 II (now I have a 24-70 II though) for landscape stuff, even with the 24-70 II I still would say that I use the 70-300L for at least half of all landscape shots. It is FAR from all about wide. And I'd way sooner get a 70-300L than an ultra-wide for FF.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 26, 2013 17:55 |  #38

mafoo wrote in post #15532778 (external link)
Here is the photo archive for the Samyang 14. It's not in the class of the other lenses (you need to remove distortion with software), but many people have gotten some fantastic results with it.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=909272

Other than the distortion (which is in a class of its own :D) I'd say it is fully in the class of the others and it's crazy sharper than stuff like 24-105L.
It's just insanely sharp and everything else other than a TON of distortion.

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2013 17:58 |  #39

wombatHorror wrote in post #15537355 (external link)
Other than the distortion (which is in a class of its own :D) I'd say it is fully in the class of the others and it's crazy sharper than stuff like 24-105L.
It's just insanely sharp and everything else other than a TON of distortion.

Can LR4 fix the Samyang distortion?

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2013 18:08 |  #40

tonyniev wrote in post #15536027 (external link)
...Noisejammer, I relooked, that was the transit of Venus.
my image of the transit

Neat image :D

Yep - I shot that during the transit, just before the sun sank below L.Huron using my TOA150 @f/14. We had some of the best daytime seeing I've ever experienced and observed the ring of fire around Venus at first contact. I observed the previous transit (from South Africa) but missed the ring. On reflection, I put this down to using a Thousand Oaks filter which strongly suppresses the blue light that is scattered in the Venusian atmosphere.

Depressingly, my camera was on the other scope and the ring was invisible to it... c'est la vie.

The deep red in my avatar is the real colour at sunset. I shot the images in white light using a Herschel wedge and a Zeiss polariser. The reddening is purely a result of atmospheric scatter.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 26, 2013 19:15 |  #41

Trying to get perfect results can result in going full circle into not getting any photo at all. Not all of us can carry 30 lbs of prime lenses into the backcountry on top of camping gear. It's also not a good idea to be changing lenses in some adverse conditions.

The very thing that we may strive for, limits where and when we can be. Trying to make every shot as sharp as possible will prove to have it's own set of compromises.

Sharpness itself is actually not the top trait of what makes a great landscape. Color, subject matter, timing, and composition should always come before sharpness. If sharpness can still be had, then that is great, but not the deciding factor. When FOV is concerned, distortion control pre-post processing is one heck of a big deal.

This proves my point very well.

http://help.smugmug.co​m …mer/portal/arti​cles/93358 (external link)

My 500PX (external link)

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2013 19:31 |  #42

^^^Noisejammer I also used thousand oaks glass filter, on 100-400, this shoot the focus moved a little ;-)a

Canon Lover absolutely in most of my hikes I only bring the 24-105 on camera and 17-40 in my pocket and cpl and on gnd no holderalso in pocket.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 26, 2013 20:40 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Canon_Lover wrote in post #15536902 (external link)
The best landscape lens would be a zooming tilt shift. Until then, they all suck in one way or another. ;)

16-35 LII = one stop shop for covering many forms of landscapes and nightscapes
24L 1.4 = For wide open star photos
Nikon 14-24 = for 14mm night photos with virtually no vignetting (best there is)
Tilt Shifts = if they happen to be the right focal length
70-200 F4L IS = The highest rated telephoto zoom lens on Photozone in all categories added up
14L II = Nearly distortion free compared to a Nikon 14-24
24-105 f4L IS = Great zoom range and general stopped down sharpness for stitching panoramas
17-40 f4 L = For people on a budget. Best bang for buck out there.

See, it all depends on what you want to do with your gear. Landscape photography is too broad of a term and needs to be specified into various and vastly different form of landscape photography.

I agree with you totally here. If there was a "best" landscape lens, I would never have to take a pack full of gear when I go shooting landscapes...I would just take that best landscape lens with me and save my aching shoulders the pain. Unfortunately, this lens does not exist as there are so many different situations that arise when taking landscapes that any given lens does not cover all of these situations. I don't care if you have the Zeiss 21mm or the 17mm TSE...there are just so many situations these lens would fall flat on their face.

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 27, 2013 00:57 |  #44

tonyniev wrote in post #15534044 (external link)
16-35 mm
QUOTED IMAGE

I will try the TSE and Zeiss.

As well as the 16-35mm f/2.8 Mk II I also have 24mm TS-E Mk II, and I think that would totally fall apart with the flare in this shot. Make sure you test that aspect of the lens! The zoom is very resistant to flare so long as you keep the sun actually out of the frame - just a slight adjustment in framing would have cured this.

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2013 01:14 |  #45

melcat wrote in post #15538614 (external link)
As well as the 16-35mm f/2.8 Mk II I also have 24mm TS-E Mk II, and I think that would totally fall apart with the flare in this shot. Make sure you test that aspect of the lens! The zoom is very resistant to flare so long as you keep the sun actually out of the frame - just a slight adjustment in framing would have cured this.

thanks for the flare info.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

sponsored links

14,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is best landscape lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.