Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is best landscape lens

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 27, 2013 03:17 |  #46

Tmuussoni wrote in post #15535877 (external link)
...Then again tiltshift is also relatively easy to mimic on post-processing...

Only the "toy town" effect, which is not what tilt-shift was designed for. You can't post-process the front-to-back sharpness you can get by laying the focal plane down to the floor.

Mark.

sponsored links
Tmuussoni
330 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 27, 2013 03:59 |  #47

Madweasel wrote in post #15538806 (external link)
Only the "toy town" effect, which is not what tilt-shift was designed for. You can't post-process the front-to-back sharpness you can get by laying the focal plane down to the floor.

Yup, that's true. That is what I meant to write there. My apologizes for articulating myself poorly here.

Flickr (external link)
Gear list

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 27, 2013 04:26 |  #48

tonyniev wrote in post #15532521 (external link)
"What is best landscape lens"

Have shot many landscape photos with 24-105 mm and 17-40 mm on 5D2 and now looking at buying a better lens! What would you recommend?

The absolute truth is that there is absolutely NO "best landscape lens".

Equating "landscape" photography with ultra-wide focal lengths, though common here in the forums, is a very silly thing in my opinion. Any photographer worth his/her salt knows that "landscape" photography can be done with any focal length in one's bag.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 27, 2013 05:51 |  #49

Canon_Lover wrote in post #15536902 (external link)
The best landscape lens would be a zooming tilt shift. Until then, they all suck in one way or another. ;)

16-35 LII = one stop shop for covering many forms of landscapes and nightscapes
24L 1.4 = For wide open star photos
Nikon 14-24 = for 14mm night photos with virtually no vignetting (best there is)
Tilt Shifts = if they happen to be the right focal length
70-200 F4L IS = The highest rated telephoto zoom lens on Photozone in all categories added up
14L II = Nearly distortion free compared to a Nikon 14-24
24-105 f4L IS = Great zoom range and general stopped down sharpness for stitching panoramas
17-40 f4 L = For people on a budget. Best bang for buck out there.

See, it all depends on what you want to do with your gear. Landscape photography is too broad of a term and needs to be specified into various and vastly different form of landscape photography.

Which of these lens are good for not only landscapes but group shots?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 27, 2013 07:53 |  #50

jonneymendoza wrote in post #15538935 (external link)

This another question based on a super-vague description of how a lens could be used. There's no possible answer based on the lack of description.

Skip Douglas

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 27, 2013 08:32 |  #51

With our advanced Digital age wares, I don't understand the need for TS at all.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2013 08:47 |  #52

samsen wrote in post #15539236 (external link)
With our advanced Digital age wares, I don't understand the need for TS at all.

I guess you could focus stack your way around tilt, but many people don't enjoy having to do that kind of work in post.

And really, there isn't a good post process way around shift. You can stretch a photo to some degree, but then you lose area, so you would need a really wide lens to replace something like the 17 TS-E, and the resulting stretched photo would never have the quality.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 27, 2013 10:27 |  #53

15-85mm

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 27, 2013 13:55 |  #54

SkipD wrote in post #15538862 (external link)
The absolute truth is that there is absolutely NO "best landscape lens".

Equating "landscape" photography with ultra-wide focal lengths, though common here in the forums, is a very silly thing in my opinion. Any photographer worth his/her salt knows that "landscape" photography can be done with any focal length in one's bag.

Yes! This is an impossible question to answer, there is no such thing. If I were going to attempt an answer, it would be: the lens that frames the landscape according to your vision of the scene.

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 27, 2013 16:25 |  #55

jonneymendoza wrote in post #15538935 (external link)

I've found the 800mm L is the best lens for group shots. Nothing else compares. Go buy one, right away!

My 500PX (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 27, 2013 17:28 |  #56

Best is whatever is right for the end result you want.

For me thats anything between 14mm and 400mm...

But if I had to have just one lens it would be the 24mm tse mkII, so versatile and such great IQ.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 27, 2013 18:25 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

RobDickinson wrote in post #15540930 (external link)
Best is whatever is right for the end result you want.

For me thats anything between 14mm and 400mm...

But if I had to have just one lens it would be the 24mm tse mkII, so versatile and such great IQ.

For me a one lens solution would be the Nikon 14-24. Great range, amazing image quality throughout that entire range.

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2013 21:14 |  #58

Hogloff wrote in post #15541086 (external link)
For me a one lens solution would be the Nikon 14-24. Great range, amazing image quality throughout that entire range.

I've seen tests where the 14-24 has significant field curvature and enormous focus shift. This is fine if you're using it as a stop-down lens (which Canon users must do) but it's something of a liability for Nikonians.

On focus stacking - I started experimenting with this fairly recently. It is surprisingly easy to do - cpu cycles aside - but the limitation is that nothing in your scene can change. This means that you are limited to photographing on nearly windless days. Alternatively, you need to edit the masks and this is time consuming.

Tilt-shift lenses get around this (to an extent) but be aware that placing the focal plane to maximise depth of field in some plane can create considerable weirdness elsewhere in the frame. As others have pointed out - there is no "best landscape lens" ... there are only some lenses that work in some conditions to create some interpretation. Unfortunately, you will usually find that you don't have the ideal lens in your bag.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 28, 2013 05:20 |  #59

SkipD wrote in post #15539153 (external link)
This another question based on a super-vague description of how a lens could be used. There's no possible answer based on the lack of description.

Its not vague. its quite specific really. a lens that does landscape and group shots indoors.

how much more specific do u want? names of people invovled in the group shot with their age, height, weight etc? :cool:

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 28, 2013 07:27 |  #60

jonneymendoza wrote in post #15542706 (external link)
Its not vague. its quite specific really. a lens that does landscape and group shots indoors.

how much more specific do u want? names of people invovled in the group shot with their age, height, weight etc? :cool:

First of all, "landscape" does not describe the kinds of images that YOU might want to make. I use any and all focal lengths at my disposal for making different types of "landscape" images. Some are close in. Some are tightly framed shots of scenes in the distance. They vary all over the map. No one lens would ever do what I need for "landscape" photography.

Likewise, "group shots" does not effectively describe what you're looking for. Three people photographed with the camera just a few feet away is an indoor group shot as is a shot of 75 people in a larger venue with the camera 50 feet away. Each calls for significantly different lenses to do well.

The bottom line is that you (as well as anybody else asking this sort of question) need to describe to us the images that are in your mind (precisely the types of things you want to photograph, distances involved, etc.) before we can give you any truly sensible suggestions for lenses to buy. In other words, you need to describe precisely what YOU mean by "landscapes" and "group shots". Other people's definitions could easily differ enough to require totally different photo equipment.

Skip Douglas

sponsored links

14,085 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is best landscape lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.