Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is best landscape lens

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 28, 2013 08:32 |  #61

SkipD wrote in post #15542926 (external link)
First of all, "landscape" does not describe the kinds of images that YOU might want to make. I use any and all focal lengths at my disposal for making different types of "landscape" images. Some are close in. Some are tightly framed shots of scenes in the distance. They vary all over the map. No one lens would ever do what I need for "landscape" photography.

Likewise, "group shots" does not effectively describe what you're looking for. Three people photographed with the camera just a few feet away is an indoor group shot as is a shot of 75 people in a larger venue with the camera 50 feet away. Each calls for significantly different lenses to do well.

The bottom line is that you (as well as anybody else asking this sort of question) need to describe to us the images that are in your mind (precisely the types of things you want to photograph, distances involved, etc.) before we can give you any truly sensible suggestions for lenses to buy. In other words, you need to describe precisely what YOU mean by "landscapes" and "group shots". Other people's definitions could easily differ enough to require totally different photo equipment.

Well check my sig, i already have a 70-200 so that covers tight/isolated landscape shots.

What is missing from my gear? a wide angle to u know shoot landscape in a wide angled view.

In terms of group shots, a group of 3 people can be taken with a nifty fifty indoors, again check my sig :)

So u want me to be specific? well lets see. i want to shoot indoors in a party, could be a house party or it can be a large hall with maybe say 10-15 max in a bog standard house(do i need to tell u the size of the house? whats inside? address? lol).

I want to shoot wide angle landscape capturing lots of things in the frame. i also want to take ****s of architecture buildings where its difficult for me to step back away from the frame to get more in frame(when using something like a nfity fifty).

Is that not specific for you? i do know that there are different kinds of landscapes and different indoor shots when you nip picking but people can easily help a person out when they are looking for a landscape lens to shoot wide and a lens that can be used for indoors/group shots.

You really do not need to know how many people invovled in the pic indoors(how can u pre define that unless u are a pro shooting a wedding and know whos coming and the venue?) And u really dont need to ask a person who already has a tele lens, what kind of landscape they want to take on their new lens. not a isolated shot as that person(me) already has a lens to do that and quite a darn fine one too

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 28, 2013 09:48 |  #62

^^^Jonney
I think the 24-70 F 2.8 would be you group , party, landscape picture lens. The extra stops would help in indoor situations. The zoom and wide capabilty wouls be useful for fast and tight shooting. In my case with high iso, and extra remote flash, 430 controlled by 580 on camera s my party lens.
To be sure a nifty fifty on full frame would also be seful in low light conditions.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 28, 2013 10:08 |  #63

jonneymendoza wrote in post #15543086 (external link)
Well check my sig, i already have a 70-200 so that covers tight/isolated landscape shots.

What is missing from my gear? a wide angle to u know shoot landscape in a wide angled view.

In terms of group shots, a group of 3 people can be taken with a nifty fifty indoors, again check my sig :)

So u want me to be specific? well lets see. i want to shoot indoors in a party, could be a house party or it can be a large hall with maybe say 10-15 max in a bog standard house(do i need to tell u the size of the house? whats inside? address? lol).

I want to shoot wide angle landscape capturing lots of things in the frame. i also want to take ****s of architecture buildings where its difficult for me to step back away from the frame to get more in frame(when using something like a nfity fifty).

Is that not specific for you? i do know that there are different kinds of landscapes and different indoor shots when you nip picking but people can easily help a person out when they are looking for a landscape lens to shoot wide and a lens that can be used for indoors/group shots.

You really do not need to know how many people invovled in the pic indoors(how can u pre define that unless u are a pro shooting a wedding and know whos coming and the venue?) And u really dont need to ask a person who already has a tele lens, what kind of landscape they want to take on their new lens. not a isolated shot as that person(me) already has a lens to do that and quite a darn fine one too

Your initial question was very vague - a list of lenses was quoted and your question was simply "Which of these lens are good for not only landscapes but group shots?" Don't you see how that's really impossible for anyone to answer without your information I quoted above? Folks on forums cannot read a poster's mind to understand what they mean behind what they write.

"Landscape" and "wide" are not interchangeable terms.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

JustinPoe
707 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 28, 2013 11:03 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #64

Optically and functionality? TS-E 24mm 3.5L II .... no contest.

Versatility? 17-40L

This guy shoots with the mediocre 17-40L
http://www.marcadamus.​com/ (external link)

His stuff is better than many could ever dream of becoming.

Here's the thing.... many times the question arises, "what is the best landscape lens" which I have even asked myself many times, but that fact is, when it comes down to getting the best shots, it's all about the settings, timing, composition and (often nowadays) good post processing.

500px (external link)

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 28, 2013 12:47 |  #65

SinaiTSi wrote in post #15543562 (external link)

Versatility? 17-40L

Here's the thing.... many times the question arises, "what is the best landscape lens" which I have even asked myself many times, but that fact is, when it comes down to getting the best shots, it's all about the settings, timing, composition and (often nowadays) good post processing.

yes agree on those points, how useful are the expensive lenses when you do not go out to shoot in some of the nice places.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 28, 2013 15:03 |  #66

tonyniev wrote in post #15537377 (external link)
Can LR4 fix the Samyang distortion?

You need to track down a third party profile for it. I forget what web page I found it on.
(You do lose a bit of res and FOV if you fully correct for distortion, I tend, with any lens, to correct as little for distortion as looks fine for the particular scene.)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 28, 2013 15:06 |  #67

Post processing has always been a big element even in film days.

And its more important to get out there in good light and shoot the right thing than it is to have the bestist lens.

But I do my best to make sure I have quality gear before O leave the house.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 28, 2013 15:16 |  #68

RobDickinson wrote in post #15544449 (external link)

And its more important to get out there in good light and shoot the right thing than it is to have the bestist lens.

Agree +1

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 28, 2013 17:12 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

RobDickinson wrote in post #15544449 (external link)

Yep, many times the sweet light happens only once in your lifetime. Be a shame to miss it due to gear. I always purchase the best gear I can afford. One magical image and you quickly forget how much it all costs.

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2013 19:28 |  #70

SinaiTSi wrote in post #15543562 (external link)

Versatility? 17-40L

Where does he say he used a 17-40?

He uses a 14-24 pretty much all of the time. A lot of what makes his photo have special mojo is his post processing not his lenses or some magical gift for capturing impossibly glowing light.

With that said, he busts a$$ for innovative spots and compositions. I enjoy his work.

My 500PX (external link)

JustinPoe
707 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 29, 2013 11:35 |  #71

Canon_Lover wrote in post #15545653 (external link)
Where does he say he used a 17-40?

He uses a 14-24 pretty much all of the time. A lot of what makes his photo have special mojo is his post processing not his lenses or some magical gift for capturing impossibly glowing light.

With that said, he busts a$$ for innovative spots and compositions. I enjoy his work.

I've been following Adamus for a long time, he used to say what gear he was using for most of his shots, which was most often the 17-40L and sometimes the 16-35L II. He is using a 14-24 with an adapter for most of his work now, he might not be even using either Canon L any more.

My point wasn't to say how great the 17-40 was, but more or less to say that his stuff is a product of innovation, hard work and amazing post processing.

500px (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 29, 2013 12:30 |  #72

SinaiTSi wrote in post #15548164 (external link)
My point wasn't to say how great the 17-40 was, but more or less to say that his stuff is a product of innovation, hard work and amazing post processing.

That's really what it's all about, right there.

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 29, 2013 13:29 |  #73

The key thing is no matter what lens Marc uses its not absolutely key to the photograph.

had he taken it on a 14-24, 17-40, 16-35 really doesnt matter.

I'm sure he has done a lot of study in which lens he ultimately prefers but had he used another one the end result wouldnt have been noticeably different without pixel peeping.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

gacon1
635 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 29, 2013 14:01 |  #74

17-40 L

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 29, 2013 15:49 |  #75

SinaiTSi wrote in post #15548164 (external link)

And being at the right place at the right time!

when it comes to landscape u have to travel a bit to get to your ideal location. takes a lot of commitment. not all of us live on the nice city up in the mountains with spectacular view. some of us live down east london lol

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

14,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is best landscape lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.