Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is best landscape lens

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 30, 2013 13:47 |  #76

jonneymendoza wrote in post #15549116 (external link)
And being at the right place at the right time!

when it comes to landscape u have to travel a bit to get to your ideal location. takes a lot of commitment. not all of us live on the nice city up in the mountains with spectacular view. some of us live down east london lol

True, to an extent. Sure, we don't all have majestic mountains and 300 foot waterfalls in our back yards but I think most folks use the cop out response "but it's boring where I live" way too liberally.

I guarantee that just about no matter where you live, there are beatiful locations within an hours drive - especially since traffic should be non-existent if you're getting up early enough to be on location and ready to shoot 20 minutes before sunrise. And, there will probably be more locations than you could hope to cover in ten years if you expand your search to just 2.5 hour drives for weekend trips.

Sure, it's a lot of work - especially if you're younger and have other commitments on the weekends (late nights with friends or family, etc). But, if you really want landscape shots I can guarantee your lifestyle and other choices hold you back from making great images far more than a lack of subject matter.

Rant over, and not necessarily directed at you Jonney - just something that's been on my mind.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 30, 2013 13:56 |  #77

Great post, Brett, totally agree.

I live in boring-ass Texas... not exactly a landscape photographer's mecca, by any means. But, if you work with what you have, you'll find you may have more than you ever thought you did.

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 30, 2013 13:58 |  #78

samsen wrote in post #15539236 (external link)
With our advanced Digital age wares, I don't understand the need for TS at all.

If they only tilted, I could maybe agree with this - Ive found only very specific uses because the scene has to be just right for tilt to noticeably extend your DOF. Most of the time, other methods would have done the job nearly as well if one were willing to put in the effort. But, it's a timesaver when the conditions are right to be sure.

And, nothing will compensate for what you can do with shift. Perspective control and straight verticals just can't be done in post without damaging the file. And, shifting for seamless panos is just downright convenient.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 30, 2013 14:08 |  #79

I'm a total digital age kinda guy, and having a tilt shift is a whole new world.

Theres only so much you can do digitally without compromising image quality.

A recent study by lensrental showed just removing lens distortion can impact sharpness by %15 or more, and this is the kicker, even in the centre of the frame.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 30, 2013 14:20 |  #80

Yes, agreed! TS has opened my eyes and has really altered the way I shoot and even the way I think about shooting.

Honestly, I think adding a TS lens to my bag has done more for me than just about anything else I can think of, gear-wise.

Can't recommend it enough.

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 30, 2013 15:03 |  #81

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15552864 (external link)
Honestly, I think adding a TS lens to my bag has done more for me than just about anything else I can think of, gear-wise.

I think mine is second to my RRS L plate lol. That is a bent piece of aluminium magic.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 30, 2013 16:01 |  #82

RobDickinson wrote in post #15552821 (external link)
I'm a total digital age kinda guy, and having a tilt shift is a whole new world.

Theres only so much you can do digitally without compromising image quality.

A recent study by lensrental showed just removing lens distortion can impact sharpness by %15 or more, and this is the kicker, even in the centre of the frame.

To be fair though, nothing compromises a shot more than not being able to frame your subject or having to crop heavily due to the lack of butt zoom room. :lol::lol:

I still say a TS zoom would be the end-all to landscape lenses. If it is even possible. The TS 90 can take a TC, so that's nice. :D

There's also the issue of severely reduced weather and dust resistance.

My 500PX (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 30, 2013 16:22 |  #83

All canons tse's tale teleconvertors.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 30, 2013 17:03 |  #84

MNUplander wrote in post #15552733 (external link)
True, to an extent. Sure, we don't all have majestic mountains and 300 foot waterfalls in our back yards but I think most folks use the cop out response "but it's boring where I live" way too liberally.

I guarantee that just about no matter where you live, there are beatiful locations within an hours drive - especially since traffic should be non-existent if you're getting up early enough to be on location and ready to shoot 20 minutes before sunrise. And, there will probably be more locations than you could hope to cover in ten years if you expand your search to just 2.5 hour drives for weekend trips.

Sure, it's a lot of work - especially if you're younger and have other commitments on the weekends (late nights with friends or family, etc). But, if you really want landscape shots I can guarantee your lifestyle and other choices hold you back from making great images far more than a lack of subject matter.

Rant over, and not necessarily directed at you Jonney - just something that's been on my mind.

i agree mate.

i went to a specific location close by at a specific time of day to take this shot.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/7016821629_32378bf12c_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/josh1408/701682​1629/  (external link)
IMG_8400.jpg (external link) by jonneymendoza (external link), on Flickr

it is the first time i have gone somewhere just to get that shot. almost missed it :cool:

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

JohnPh
I smell like a Shoulder Shrugging Seal
2,464 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 31, 2013 05:32 |  #85

wombatHorror wrote in post #15544435 (external link)
You need to track down a third party profile for it. I forget what web page I found it on.
(You do lose a bit of res and FOV if you fully correct for distortion, I tend, with any lens, to correct as little for distortion as looks fine for the particular scene.)

http://www.photo-worx.de …t&task=view&id=​49&Itemid= (external link)

ՕFlickr (external link)500px (external link)
Facebook (external link)
serial underexposer
Gear

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,516 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 31, 2013 11:13 |  #86

thanks...and I enjoy all the posts in this thread.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

sponsored links

14,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is best landscape lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.