Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 23:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building Car Rig

Keedo
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 25, 2013 23:05 |  #1

Hey guys, I am building a car rig for my camera and I am stumped on the boom part. I would like it to be roughly 15 to 20ft long, and for it to be in sections that is threaded so I can bring the setup places. I have everything else, I just need the boom. I have been reading online and people recommend conduit pipe. But idk where to get that cut and threaded. This is my cart so far below:
Manfrotto 244N Variable Friction Magic Arm without Camera Bracket (Black)
Avenger 6 Pump Cup with Fixed Baby Pin (2)
Manfrotto 035 Super Clamp without Stud - Replaces 2915 (3)

I would prefer to not spend my life savings on this as well lol.

What about this as a boom? multiple, it says they sell tube connectors http://www.metals4u.co​.uk …-tube/177/3057/detail.a​sp (external link)

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8
Flickr (external link)FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links
NManuel01
752 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 26, 2013 00:02 |  #2

Conduit pipe? Like from Home Depot? I think they cut and thread there for you

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

Keedo
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 26, 2013 08:15 |  #3

NManuel01 wrote in post #15534935 (external link)
Conduit pipe? Like from Home Depot? I think they cut and thread there for you

I didn't know they did that there, I will check that out. Thanks!

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8

Keedo
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 26, 2013 16:57 |  #4

so I went there and I found out that they only cut they do not threaded there because they do not have the machinery there to thread that type of piping I guess only plumbing piping. I was thinking of welding couplers to the piping just do it that way.

Also, what is a good size of piping? I know I want it to be 15 to 20 ft but what about diameter and thickness?

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 26, 2013 17:14 |  #5

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=490505

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

NManuel01
752 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 26, 2013 18:16 |  #6

I think it varies by Home Depot because I know the one by me does. Wow as far as size, 3/4 pipe seems like a good mix between weight an strength.

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

Blubayou
366 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 26, 2013 22:41 |  #7

Home depot doesn't thread conduit, they do cut and thread black iron and galvanized pipe which are much different!

Keedo
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 27, 2013 00:14 |  #8

Piping I figured out, Right now I am trying to figure out how to connect the suction cups to the clamps. I am getting these suction cups, the worst part is that they have 1/4" screw. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …MB_Super_Grip_J​unior.html (external link)

I have heard bad stories of the F1000 failing.

The suction cups are slowing me down because I do not know how to find a way to mount them to the clamps. The suction cup closest to the camera, I would like to have it raised up, like an extension from the suction cup to the clamp to raise up the pole/boom so I can get higher shots.

Someone help me?

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2013 01:37 |  #9

If you check out that link I posted all the problems you are experiencing have their many solutions documented ad nauseum there. Shopping lists, alternate products, mounting techniques and strategies... it's all there.

Here's the list of the gear I use (external link), including some early runs with Home Depot conduit. If you have more than a passing fancy to shoot rig shots you will not stay with conduit piping long.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links

1,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building Car Rig
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.