Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2013 19:19 |  #1921

Phil,
I remember walking down the street in York one evening after dinner and being reminded by a resident that the reason its good manners for a gentleman to walk on the street side of his lady was because the citizens used to empty their chamber pots out the second story windows. They then pointed upward toward what we americans call the second floor which was sticking out about half way to the street from the ground floor.

But I digress... :-)

I do hope that the 2-to-1 cable is effective shortening recycle time in the Cheetah Lights, if also improves speedlite performance so much the better. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,776 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 23, 2013 19:22 |  #1922

dmward wrote in post #16147809 (external link)
Phil,
I do hope that the 2-to-1 cable is effective shortening recycle time in the Cheetah Lights, if also improves speedlite performance so much the better. :-)

If it doesn't you may well have created your first IED.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2013 19:29 |  #1923

tetrode wrote in post #16147819 (external link)
If it doesn't you may well have created your first IED.

LOL.

That's rich.

Three great minds here, we have to be able to come up with something that is actually constructive for the thread. :-)

And considering the time, and where he lives, Phil should be in bed. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 23, 2013 20:03 |  #1924

Bed? But this is the time of day when nobody sane is awake - so I get loads done cos the phone never rings. Sheer bliss.

Perfectly true about the chamber pots by the way. That's where the twee term 'loo' (aka bathroom) originated - French "Gardy-loo" (Gardez l'eau) for 'watch out below' - although we usually attribute it to Edinburgh and the strong historical connections with France.

In theory at least, the 2-to-1 should work perfectly as it relies on reduced resistance in parallel circuits. And DECENT capacitors!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 23, 2013 20:28 |  #1925

dmward wrote in post #16147840 (external link)
LOL.

That's rich.

Three great minds here, we have to be able to come up with something that is actually constructive for the thread. :-)

And considering the time, and where he lives, Phil should be in bed. :-)

I'm gonna have to pull an Oskar here.

:rolleyes:

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Nikkor316
38 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 23, 2013 21:15 |  #1926

ZoranC wrote in post #16144964 (external link)
Thank you in advance!

Here's my PW firmware setting for HSS tab:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Matt

Nikkor316
38 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 23, 2013 21:18 |  #1927

@ZoranC: On your Nikon D700, make sure under the Custom Setting Menu, go to "e - Bracketing/Flash" and change "e1" Flash sync speed to 1/320s (Auto FP).

Let me know if that helps.

Matt

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2013 22:17 |  #1928

Csae wrote in post #16147990 (external link)
I'm gonna have to pull an Oskar here.

:rolleyes:

It probably would have been better to use "maybe" or "at least" as adjectives.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 23, 2013 22:37 |  #1929

Nikkor316 wrote in post #16148151 (external link)
Here's my PW firmware setting for HSS tab:

Thank you again!

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 23, 2013 22:39 |  #1930

Nikkor316 wrote in post #16148161 (external link)
@ZoranC: On your Nikon D700, make sure under the Custom Setting Menu, go to "e - Bracketing/Flash" and change "e1" Flash sync speed to 1/320s (Auto FP).

When I was trying it was at 1/250 Auto FP but it's my understanding that shouldn't have made a difference as long as it was Auto FP.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 24, 2013 00:00 |  #1931

Osiriz wrote in post #16147223 (external link)
Ginga. I can not comment on the PLM, but I do have the 46" Softlighter 2, and I really like it!

It's little bit too small for full body shots, so the 60" should be a lot better. If that is what you are after.

dmward wrote in post #16147241 (external link)
Both of them are big enough to suggest that you will want to have the CL-XXX mounted on a Pro Bracket or similar.

I have all the PLMs and love them. I have two softliters that haven't been opened since I got the PLMs.

Thanks guys.

Yes I'll be using a bracket for sure. :)

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

bobsha
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 24, 2013 04:30 |  #1932

Ginga wrote in post #16148593 (external link)
Thanks guys.

Yes I'll be using a bracket for sure. :)

You may find this usefull,

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.it …-ii-or-paul-buff-plm.html (external link)

I'd personally go for the the PLM soft Silver or Extreme silver (love that catchlight) with additional fill.

PS: Thank you everyone for this thread, you've helped me out picking the right gear (2 AD/CL 360) and i'm more intrigued than ever. And thank you also for your warm an friendly reception in this forum.

Cheers

Robert from Milan (On a Nikon :P)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 24, 2013 11:16 |  #1933

dmward wrote in post #16147464 (external link)
Maybe they're on the truck. :-)

If the 2 to 1 cables are in there, I may sacrifice a Yongnou manual speedlite to see how fast I can get the recycle at full power. :-)

I have the 2 into 1 cable here... and an original YN-560.

I can't bring myself to do it though. 0.6 seconds is already fast, if that did go to 0.3 seconds... surely that can't be healthy.

Though the Sky Eagle pack is 3000mAh total, what's another 1500 :-).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 24, 2013 11:27 |  #1934

mAh won't make your flash explodes, thats capacity not output. 1500mah just means it'll last longer, not that its giving more juice faster to your flash.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,776 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 24, 2013 11:38 |  #1935

elv wrote in post #16149869 (external link)
I have the 2 into 1 cable here... and an original YN-560.

I can't bring myself to do it though. 0.6 seconds is already fast, if that did go to 0.3 seconds... surely that can't be healthy...

Please don't try to talk David out of his experiment, Elv. We're all looking forward to the video.

sponsored links

1,396,275 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.