Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 28, 2013 00:38 |  #1981

TMR Design wrote in post #16159108 (external link)
I just tested, reviewed and shot with the Cheetah CL-180, CL-360 and Lithium battery L-4500.

It all happens HERE (external link).

why do i feel like i've been Ken Rockwelled :rolleyes:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2013 09:05 |  #1982

Sheldon N wrote in post #16159635 (external link)
David, which camera are you using with the hypersync mode for the CL180? Have you found any difference if the native sync speed is faster or slower?

The reason I ask is because I've heard that a camera with a faster native sync speed is easier to use with hypersync.

I'd appreciate any input that you can offer.

Sheldon, I don't do HyperSync with the CL-XXX. I use a Canon 5DIII. The Cells IIc works in H mode with the CL-XXX at all shutter speeds to 1/8000. The Cells II works with 5DII and other pre-2012 version Canon cameras the same way. (I think the Cells IIc is now available from Cheetah. Only necessary if you have 5DIII, if you have 5DII or other pre-2012 camera Cells II works fine.)

Because the CL-360 has a 1/300 flash duration, it can be used at any shutter speed up to 1/8000 at full power. Thus, I can get 1/1 in M mode, then 1/1 in H mode which is 1/2 power because of the need to use the capacitor for the rapid cycling. Then down from there.

The result is having a light that will do 300Ws down to 1/16 power at shutter speeds up to 1/8000.

None of this is HyperSync because it doesn't rely on Pocketwizard's technique of manipulating the FP-sync pre-signal to optimize tail power.

Hope this helps. I got the same results using a YN-622c trigger set.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2013 09:15 |  #1983

ZoranC wrote in post #16159318 (external link)
Huh?

A ligitimate reveiw only comes from a reveiwer that bought the gear at an undicounted price or is returning the gear to the manufacturer. Would you agree? Do we know which of these two, if either, applies?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 28, 2013 09:26 |  #1984

dmward wrote in post #16160383 (external link)
None of this is HyperSync because it doesn't rely on Pocketwizard's technique of manipulating the FP-sync pre-signal to optimize tail power.

So is it using a long duration flash or is this stroboscopic pulsing?

I'm guessing that you lose effective flash power as you increase your shutter speed upwards, so the lighting ratio against ambient remains roughly the same?

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 28, 2013 10:01 |  #1985

Panchoskywalker wrote in post #16158423 (external link)
Is this something normal in any PLM or did he added something to the shaft in order to hold it with the clamp?

QUOTED IMAGE

It's held to the grip head with a 3/8" steel rod. They do not ship with this piece. As far as I know, if you want to do something similar, you need to buy the PLM from PCB with the
On-axis speedring. The standard PLM has a fixed shaft as far as I know...

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2013 10:16 |  #1986

Sheldon N wrote in post #16160425 (external link)

I'm guessing that you lose effective flash power as you increase your shutter speed upwards, so the lighting ratio against ambient remains roughly the same?

Sheldon,
With any shutter speed above X-Sync the CL-XXX is a constant light source and the shutter speed now influences the exposure just as it would with an LED or Halogen source.

At 1/1 the flash duration is sufficient to cover the time of shutter travel.
in H mode its the rapid pulsing flashes that lengthen the duration sufficiently to cover the time of shutter travel.

Since the main reason for faster shutter speeds, it to permit wider apertures the net is same exposure.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 28, 2013 10:28 |  #1987

Sheldon N wrote in post #16160425 (external link)

That simply depends on whether you put the Cheetah Light into H-mode or not.

If you need to use full power, and you're taking a number of shots, it can be better to leave H-mode off, and use (a form of) Hypersync. Simply because that doesn't overheat the flash as quickly as doing lots of small pulses in H-mode.

Here is a direct comparison at full power with the CL-180 -
http://flashhavoc.com …s/2013/04/HSS_4​_a1100.jpg (external link)

Yes the ratio against ambient remains roughly the same as you can see. Its actually better around 1/8000th.

There are a lot more variables with (a form of) Hypersync though, the camera (full frame etc) effects the results. Where H-mode (or pulsing) works with all cameras and power levels.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 28, 2013 11:15 as a reply to  @ elv's post |  #1988

Some of you guys are pretty funny. For those that don't know me, and perhaps for those that do think they know me, I'll say this again.

I never review a product I don't like or find useful and of good design. I have no reason to do that. My relationship with Edward Tang and CheetahStand is very straight ahead.

When I review a product for Edward, he knows that I'm not going to say I like it if I don't. The reason why you don't see negative reviews of Cheetah products from me is simple.

1. I do think they are of very good quality, especially when compared to so much of the other crap being produced and imported from China.
2. If I do find problems or design flaws I provide feedback so that the product can be improved.

Edward has even said to me on many occasions that he does not want me saying I like or love something that I don't like. You can make what you want of that or even ask Edward but that's the way it is and always has been.

I don't review his products so that I can get free stuff.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2013 11:54 |  #1989

So you're sending the products back now that you've reviewed them? I think there are credibility issues for CheetahStand if product is given gratis for a review. Giving the vendor feedback without posting a review is one thing, that may cover your time, but at the very least being forthright and stating in advance what the terms are with the vendor would seem to be the right thing to do, if in fact the reviewer is getting the equipment for free.

flickr (external link)

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 28, 2013 12:36 |  #1990

GrahamChapman wrote in post #16159872 (external link)
ZoranC's gonna be on your case now...

Thanks for answering my question whether you were trying to be funny or just being an a$$ by showing it's not the former. Considering that is, so it seems, the common line behind at least 50% of your inglorious few dozen posts since you joined I feel that shows what exactly you are.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 28, 2013 12:42 |  #1991

windpig wrote in post #16160406 (external link)
A ligitimate reveiw only comes from a reveiwer that bought the gear at an undicounted price or is returning the gear to the manufacturer. Would you agree? Do we know which of these two, if either, applies?

I wouldn't agree as I feel whether review is legitimate comes from content of review, whether review is factual and not biased, rest is IMHO irrelevant. Case in point: I have seen quite a few "reviews" written by people that did pay for the gear in question but "review" is worthless because it is heavily biased due to "reviewer" being a fan boy / too much in love with their gear.

So better question than yours is do you see anything in that review that indicates it is not factual or that it is skewed / biased? I personally didn't. Did you? If yes please point it out. If no then review is quite legitimate and case should be closed.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 28, 2013 12:51 |  #1992

windpig wrote in post #16160750 (external link)
So you're sending the products back now that you've reviewed them? I think there are credibility issues for CheetahStand if product is given gratis for a review. Giving the vendor feedback without posting a review is one thing, that may cover your time, but at the very least being forthright and stating in advance what the terms are with the vendor would seem to be the right thing to do, if in fact the reviewer is getting the equipment for free.

You really are grossly off if you truly believe that somebody would sell their integrity for few flashes and softboxes that cost total just slightly over a $1000, peanuts when compared to what we pay for camera bodies and lenses.

Going ­ Baroque
349 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 28, 2013 12:53 |  #1993

$780 for the flash? I don't check in here often, but I could have sworn this thing was like $200? lol I was getting ready to pick up a few, but I guess it's going to be the ab+vml again. :( What did I miss?

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2013 13:01 |  #1994

ZoranC wrote in post #16160878 (external link)
You really are grossly off if you truly believe that somebody would sell their integrity for few flashes and softboxes that cost total just slightly over a $1000, peanuts when compared to what we pay for camera bodies and lenses.

Well, so much ambiguity that's accept in the world I guess. As far as $1000 being peanuts, you haven't been around much here have you? People cry over spending $100 for a pair of YN622Cs. So don't get to condescending.

flickr (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,658 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 28, 2013 15:02 |  #1995

Going Baroque wrote in post #16161125 (external link)
The review you guys are talking about I thought was fine. What I'm confused about is why the knock off of the quantum qflash is priced the same as the qflash?

I was excited when this was announced because it looked like the yongnuo equivalent (cheap looking casing and cheap looking display and buttons), so I thought it was going to be a budget version of the qflash. Bummer. For $800, the qflash is the clear winner simply because it has the track record.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Q flash was $800 for just the flash. The battery and transmitter were extra.

The CL-180 and 360 lights come with everything, flash, battery, transmitter and receiver.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,396,257 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.