Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

windpig
Chopped liver
15,284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 01, 2013 13:22 |  #2146

Landcruiser wrote in post #16172630 (external link)
God Save the Queen...

My second favorite Sex Pistols song after "My Way".

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links
Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 01, 2013 15:52 |  #2147

elv wrote in post #16172772 (external link)
"The sense of entitlement that comes with sociopathy is astonishing to those who abide by the social laws and conventions of our culture. Where does the entitlement come from? It stems from an underlying sense of rage. Sociopaths feel deeply angry and resentful underneath their often-charming exterior, and this rage fuels their sense that they have the right to act out in whichever way they happen to choose at the time. Everything is up for grabs with sociopaths and nothing is off limits."

http://www.psychologyt​oday.com …e-motivation-relationship (external link)

An erudite condensation of exactly what I have just this moment emailed to another POTN contributor. Well said, Elv.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2013 16:39 |  #2148

dmward wrote in post #16172672 (external link)
Ian,
I appreciate your candor about why you believe your activity here isn't troll like. My reaction is that you seem to not give other photographers credit for also "...needing to work out solutions for themselves, and having a pretty good understanding about what's required, what works and what doesn't work."

If you truly want to contribute and help someone "buy stuff fully knowing limitations" then, in my opinion, you'd get much farther by first understanding that many of us who have tested Cheetah Lights, and are now using them in productive work, do understand what works for us and are sharing our experiences. I can't afford to buy "toys", I do search out and acquire tools that help me get my work accomplished for paying customers.

Spent a bit of time wondering around your website. There are lots of images that could have been shot with Quantum and about a dozen other type of strobe, including Cheetah Lights. Had trouble finding anything that demanded a really unique lighting solution. Lots of nice images but nothing that could be accomplished with most any proper equipment.

That was a nice collection of what looked like Profoto power packs in the studio shot.

David puts it rather nicely and in a very "gentlemanly" manner. I'm afraid I would not not be as kind with my thoughts. So I will refrain.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 01, 2013 22:44 |  #2149

elv wrote in post #16171666 (external link)
I'm surprised you guys haven't been jumping up and down about this earlier.

I don't know about others but in my case I have much more pressing issues to deal with (like SO's sudden health problem) so less important things end up somewhere in background.

elv wrote in post #16171666 (external link)
8 ' (2.4M) I would think would be more than enough.

Without testing all possible combos I am not sure that 8' would be more than enough, I have a feeling 8' might end up bit on shorter side once you route cable around some of modifiers while 10' sounds more than enough so my guess is 9' is good middle ground guess.

... and if I could also get single straight 4' and 9' cable from L4500 to Canon and to Nikon then I feel cables would be complete, without it I can't get rid of my Nikon external battery packs (4' is for events when battery pack is on my belt in the back).

windpig
Chopped liver
15,284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 01, 2013 22:46 |  #2150

ZoranC wrote in post #16174337 (external link)
more pressing issues to deal with (like SO's sudden health problem) so less important things end up somewhere in background.

Been there. Not good. I hope things turn out okay.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 01, 2013 22:57 |  #2151

Whortleberry wrote in post #16172051 (external link)
Zoran: Not difficult to cut the centre out of a standard 5 metre extension and splice the cut ends together ...

Difficult? No. Am I in the mood to do it ? No. Life is too short and has much more pressing priorities than having to DIY everything.

Whortleberry wrote in post #16172051 (external link)
On the battery clamps, have you noticed the threaded hole for a suitable hook for hanging your surplus cable on?

I know I can always wrap cable but I prefer not having to do it. First, it means having to do it all the time and I hate everything unnecessary that keeps wasting my time. Next, it has a chance of getting in a way and I hate everything that is getting in a way, I like things elegant and simple. Last, that means extra weight and extra space in your bag for unnecessary 18 feet of cable, carrying 45 feet total when 27 would serve you just fine.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 01, 2013 22:59 |  #2152

windpig wrote in post #16174342 (external link)
Been there. Not good. I hope things turn out okay.

Thank you!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 02, 2013 00:29 |  #2153

ZoranC, Hope all goes well. Everything is a distant second to health for self and loved ones.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 02, 2013 08:14 |  #2154

PhotographersWorldWide wrote in post #16170578 (external link)
Btw.. heres the 'subjective' Cheetah battery not breaking:: Link :

Normally nothing would happened with the batterypack if there was not a sharp stone that was sticking out of the ground exactly impacted just above the latch. In this way maximum force was generated.

I already fixed it now with a small metal band and kit. It is like new now and only the different color and the impact zone created by the stone are still visible.

The two-in-one Y cable and the metal cap for the flash-bulb are been sent from China so for less than $ 20 incl. free shipping. I will receive them in two or three weeks because it is sent by normal postal services. I then can discard my then plastic container that originally was for turtle-food which is currently protecting my flash-bulb.

I am still looking for the AD-s1 cable because that is the only victim that suffered unrepairable damage from the fall. I got the 5 metre cable and thinking about to split that one in to a AD-01 cable and extension cable for when I want to connect a second flash to the accu-pack. I am also looking for the plate for the AD360 because I don't use the hot-shoe and I trust more the mechanical connection the plate then of the hot-shoe.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 02, 2013 08:46 |  #2155

Does anybody know the chinese / original name for the new Cells II-C transmitter?

Trying to find it on E-bay since I can't order from Cheetah.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 02, 2013 09:36 |  #2156

FYI - Edward has the new collapsible beauty dish listed on his site.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 02, 2013 10:02 |  #2157

Ginga wrote in post #16175117 (external link)
Does anybody know the chinese / original name for the new Cells II-C transmitter?

Trying to find it on E-bay since I can't order from Cheetah.

I think (not sure) that the updated firmware to support the 5DIII, 1Dx will be implemented into all the Cells II product. The key will be to find out from Godox when that is occurring and how to ensure you are getting the new version.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 02, 2013 10:08 |  #2158

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #16175202 (external link)
FYI - Edward has the new collapsible beauty dish listed on his site.

Looks like a great product, yet again. How does it open? I see this weird white material inside, does that put tension on the rods to hold it open?

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 02, 2013 10:58 |  #2159

mmmfotografie wrote in post #16175062 (external link)
Normally nothing would happened with the batterypack if there was not a sharp stone that was sticking out of the ground exactly impacted just above the latch. In this way maximum force was generated.

I already fixed it now with a small metal band and kit. It is like new now and only the different color and the impact zone created by the stone are still visible.

1) The two-in-one Y cable and the metal cap for the flash-bulb are been sent from China so for less than $ 20 incl. free shipping. I will receive them in two or three weeks because it is sent by normal postal services. I then can discard my then plastic container that originally was for turtle-food which is currently protecting my flash-bulb.

I am still looking for the AD-s1 cable because that is the only victim that suffered unrepairable damage from the fall. I got the 5 metre cable and thinking about to split that one in to a AD-01 cable and extension cable for when I want to connect a second flash to the accu-pack.
2) I am also looking for the plate for the AD360 because I don't use the hot-shoe and I trust more the mechanical connection the plate then of the hot-shoe.

1) I can find the two-to-one Y-cable and the one-to-two splitter cable but no sign of the protective cap and those are my most urgent needs. Be a good guy, give the rest us benighted Europeans a bit of a clue where you found them. Or be an even better guy and drop a link in your next post. ;)

2) Unfortunately, I don't think the 360 mounting plate will fit the 180 base. It's a different shape (perhaps amendable with a needle file, I don't know for sure) but more importantly the threaded inserts in the 180 would be in the wrong places. Hence it'd be most difficult to screw the plate into place.You could, I suppose, in theory get a spare 180 plate from somewhere (don't ask, I don't know), remove the hotshoe and mini-PCB and insert a ¼" 20tpi insert. HOWEVER, there's a dirty great capacitor sitting right at the very bottom of the 180 body so I don't really think that this is do-able. Not 100% safely anyway, the insert would be rather too close for comfort to that capacitor. But I'd LOVE to be proved wrong!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 02, 2013 12:34 |  #2160

symbolphoto wrote in post #16175273 (external link)
Looks like a great product, yet again. How does it open? I see this weird white material inside, does that put tension on the rods to hold it open?

There is a stiffener ring halfway between the inner and outer edges of the BD. The stiffeners apparently have hinged connectors that snap/lock into place to prevent the BD from inadvertently collapsing. It would be similar to the way fiberglass poles on tent structures are held together, except this design wouldn't require a bungee cord to hold the joints together. I'll know for sure sometime next week;). Edward said that Gary Fong fell in love with these things.

sponsored links

1,378,878 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.