Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 01, 2013 14:37 |  #2386

dmward wrote in post #16257661 (external link)
I THINK it moves from the bottom to top so the shadow is at the bottom of the image.

The image on the sensor is inverted. ???

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2013 17:17 |  #2387

oldvultureface wrote in post #16259142 (external link)
The image on the sensor is inverted. ???

As it always is when projected thought a lens. Something we learned when composing and focusing through a view camera. :-)
That also made getting a transparency into a slide projector a challenge, upside down with flipped with emulsion away from the lamp and toward the lens.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 01, 2013 18:15 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #2388

Ah, I understand. I thought you meant the shutter actually travels from bottom to top. It does appear that way on the image but physically the shutter moves from top to bottom. :)

Meddin ­ Studios
32 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 02, 2013 07:56 |  #2389

Elv thanks for all the insight. That kind of changes the picture for me for Phottix kit. I may still go ahead and buy up an Odin kit to test and share the results when in a Sekonic meter setup. For now, I'm going the PW route. I added a handful of TT5's for our cheetahs and will be testing those this week. I'll post up how we work with the AC3 on one cam and Sekonic manually operating the shooter's cam. Sometimes we use an EyeFi card for going to a customer ipad while in the field, so the meter lets me make adjustments on fly after peeking frame. The 6D is good for this with the iphone app but no always reliable. I prefer the actual wifi 5D device or tethered in a studio, but thats not always the best either.

Anyone else with input for TT1's and +3's with regards to HSS and timing adjustments?

Zbill
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 02, 2013 16:24 |  #2390

Osiriz wrote in post #16256745 (external link)
Well your guess was right. My tests show that the reflector isn't needed inside Apollo type softboxes. At least I could not see any significant difference in the light.

His guess is wrong, and your tests must be flawed. Just because it is called "umbrella reflector" doesn't mean it's for umbrellas only. :cool:

You should use the reflector inside the octoboxes and softboxes as well, unless you are a fan of hotspots and other issues.

I'm just sayin'.

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 03, 2013 10:24 |  #2391

Zbill wrote in post #16261975 (external link)
His guess is wrong, and your tests must be flawed. Just because it is called "umbrella reflector" doesn't mean it's for umbrellas only. :cool:

You should use the reflector inside the octoboxes and softboxes as well, unless you are a fan of hotspots and other issues.

I'm just sayin'.

I assure you that my tests are not flawed. The light is just as good (if not better) when shooting without the reflector. Besides, I don't see anyone else using the reflector inside their softbox?

Just a quick example from Tetrode, a guy who obviously knows his stuff:

tetrode wrote in post #15539783 (external link)
I'm finding the CL-180 with its add-on umbrella mount along with the 90cm x 90cm softbox to be the most useful, most portable, and easiest to set up and take down combination. This is a typical configuration:

QUOTED IMAGE

There are more examples in the thread if you browse back. However, I have not compared the results inside a octangular softbox, but I really don't think the reflector is needed there either. I might be wrong, but I think the umbrella reflector is for regular umbrellas only.

My 2 cents.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 03, 2013 10:55 |  #2392

I use the CLs in umbrella frame octa, square and rectangular soft boxes all the time. I've never bothered with the umbrella reflector. I position the flash tube fairly deep in the box. Tip is usually about 2 to 3 inches from the umbrella spreader locking collar.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Zbill
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 04, 2013 02:11 |  #2393

Well, if you say so. I guess I'm gonna have to redo my tests then.

I actually hope you are right. :)

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 04, 2013 19:50 |  #2394

dmward wrote in post #16264151 (external link)
I position the flash tube fairly deep in the box. Tip is usually about 2 to 3 inches from the umbrella spreader locking collar.

Are these Apollo style boxes? If yes could you please explain why you feel it is better to position them deep in the box rather than close to a diffuser? (ultimately I will have to try it out for myself but it won't hurt if I hear more in the meantime)

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 04, 2013 21:47 |  #2395

I thought I read of some who used an extension for the 360 flash tube, it fit between the tube and the flash unit to extend the tube further into the light modifier. But I cant seem to find it.

Anyone know of what part it was? or recall the post

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 04, 2013 22:05 |  #2396

ZoranC wrote in post #16268651 (external link)
Are these Apollo style boxes? If yes could you please explain why you feel it is better to position them deep in the box rather than close to a diffuser? (ultimately I will have to try it out for myself but it won't hurt if I hear more in the meantime)

Yes, Apollo knock offs.

My logic, not tested empirically for validity, is to get the flash tube in the center of the modifier. Considering the shape of most of the modifiers I have that means keeping it relatively close to the stretcher frame locking collar since the arms extending out tend to define the center of the rib's flex. Its an imprecise attempt to get the flash tube at the
reflective center of the modifier.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 04, 2013 22:08 |  #2397

DamianOz wrote in post #16268922 (external link)
I thought I read of some who used an extension for the 360 flash tube, it fit between the tube and the flash unit to extend the tube further into the light modifier. But I cant seem to find it.

It was the spacer that is part of the Quantum telephoto reflector kit.
Problem is that the pins on the CL tubes don't fit properly into the spacer.
I imagine there is a generic electronic part that is essentially the same. Someone just has to find it on an on-line catalog.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 04, 2013 22:10 |  #2398

Zbill wrote in post #16266506 (external link)
Well, if you say so. I guess I'm gonna have to redo my tests then.

I actually hope you are right. :)

I never did a comparative test. Just started setting up the modifiers that way because it seemed like a good idea. :-)

I could be completely off. The light I get looks good, but who knows?

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 04, 2013 22:38 |  #2399

that was more about using the QTM zoom reflector I think ?
search the thread for quantum extender :)
I think its that agv8or guy and tetrode that did it ? had a pic of a hanger in one the way I remember it :)

OK I was curious so did a quick search :)
here is one of the posts
https://photography-on-the.net …tum+extender#po​st15853438

should get you started :)

DamianOz wrote in post #16268922 (external link)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 05, 2013 00:01 |  #2400

thanks

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

sponsored links

1,299,269 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.