Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

iituner
326 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 11, 2013 22:51 as a reply to  @ post 16289839 |  #2446

Quantum ring easier
Bowens more reliable but is unwieldy because of the use of additional brackets which also weigh more.

SMDV produces softboxes for RIME LITE
BOWENS adapters also available.

IMAGE: http://album.foto.ru/photos/pr0/444837/3290685.jpg
IMAGE: http://album.foto.ru/photos/pr0/444837/3290686.jpg

WWW.YN622.RU (external link) CANON EOS 70D | EF 50mm F/1.4 USM | EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM | EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM | JINBEI DPIII600 | EINSTEIN E-640+CC/CST/CSXCV/CSR | YONGNUO: YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, YNE3-RX, YN622C-TX, YN622C, RF-605C | SHANNY: SN-E3-RT, SN600C-RT, SN-E3-RF, SN600EX-RF, SN600C-RF, SN600SC, SN600SN, SN910EX-RF | PIXEL X800C (bulb dead)

sponsored links
silvrbullet
616 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2013 08:30 |  #2447

That looks like a really nice setup, but I have been thinking about getting this new adapter from Kacey Enterprises (external link), and the Elinchrom 39" deep octa. The Kacey adapter is for the Quadra, but I figured if the Quadra light can work, so could the cheetah light with the umbrella adapter.

Only problem is that we are now talking about a $500 modifier...

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 12, 2013 10:04 |  #2448

silvrbullet wrote in post #16290529 (external link)
That looks like a really nice setup, but I have been thinking about getting this new adapter from Kacey Enterprises (external link), and the Elinchrom 39" deep octa. The Kacey adapter is for the Quadra, but I figured if the Quadra light can work, so could the cheetah light with the umbrella adapter.

Only problem is that we are now talking about a $500 modifier...

Jerry's elinchrom mount is very nicely engineered and holds the modifier securely.

The reality is that an umbrella frame 30" octa is going to deliver essentially the same light on the subject. I mount these to the CL-360 or 180 via the umbrella mount and it works a charm. $30 for the modifier, and $40 for THIS (external link). Its easier to setup, smaller, and much easier to mount and adjust on the stand.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 12, 2013 11:03 |  #2449

http://www.calumetphot​o.com …GENESIS-PORT-FLASH_130814 (external link)
$406
In stock
free 2 day shipping

http://www.cheetahstan​d.com/Cheetah-Light-p/cl-180.htm (external link)
$420
not in stock
No

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

silvrbullet
616 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2013 11:34 |  #2450

dmward wrote in post #16290749 (external link)
Jerry's elinchrom mount is very nicely engineered and holds the modifier securely.

The reality is that an umbrella frame 30" octa is going to deliver essentially the same light on the subject. I mount these to the CL-360 or 180 via the umbrella mount and it works a charm. $30 for the modifier, and $40 for THIS (external link). Its easier to setup, smaller, and much easier to mount and adjust on the stand.

I had never thought of it like that before, but that does make a lot of sense.. I need to play with my 30" Octa more-- sometimes I forget I own one. I really think Cheetah needs to have a line of these umbrella frame modifiers...

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

Meddin ­ Studios
32 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 12, 2013 13:53 |  #2451

Do they sell the 360 model as a package deal? I went on and could only find the battery pack and head separate which would run you over $1000 after you add the Tx and Rx. The Cheetah kit is $780 all in.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 12, 2013 14:39 |  #2452

Meddin Studios wrote in post #16291319 (external link)
Do they sell the 360 model as a package deal? I went on and could only find the battery pack and head separate which would run you over $1000 after you add the Tx and Rx. The Cheetah kit is $780 all in.

HERE (external link) you go.
Looks like Edward has some in stock as well.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Meddin ­ Studios
32 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 12, 2013 20:48 |  #2453

Sorry I meant package deal for the Calumet Genesis. The comparison was to the Cheetah kit which I know is $780. The Calumet version and accessories seem like a bit of a markup.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 12, 2013 21:53 |  #2454

for me I will support Ed :) he is a great guy who took the initiative to get things done and get these here for us US folks
and I guess now that others are bringing them in from Godox I look at it like cool now we have even more support and for sure parts and batteries should be around for a while :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 12, 2013 22:22 |  #2455

OK.
I agree that Edward should be supported. He did, after all, introduce the CL-180 and CL-360 to the US market. And has great customer service.

Here (external link) is link to Calumet kit.
Its about the same price. I know the store manager at the Cheery street store in Chicago. Its their main retail presence and where lots of the professional community shop. As well as many Pro-ams.

They had a big display of the Genesis kit on the floor when I was there last week for a seminar.

I still prefer doing business with Edward.

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 12, 2013 22:55 |  #2456

Do you guys feel it is safe to mount CL-360 in this fashion:

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/140n1S3l1L1l0P1b0R1M/Diff70_3.jpg

Meddin ­ Studios
32 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 12, 2013 22:56 |  #2457

I called Edward the other night to ask if he had something in stock and also to spit ball some questions regarding the 33" BD's and if he had plans for grids among other things. We chit chatted for quite a while and I learned at the end of the phone call that he was actually on his cell in the doctors office with his wife.

Not only did he get the gear out same day still, but he actually took the time to give me some pointers on stuff, even regarding pocket wizards which he has no affiliation with.

He's been 100% for me, so I hope to keep giving him business for that kind of service.

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 12, 2013 23:20 |  #2458

ZoranC wrote in post #16292587 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

The Diffuser-70 weighs only 21 ounces. By way of comparison, the 19" folding beauty dish/octa weighs 13 ounces. My assessment thus far is that, yes, it is safe to mount the CL-360 as seen in my photo. I wouldn't have posted it if I thought otherwise. Note that the ballhead used has a large diameter platform which helps relieve stresses around the 1/4-20 threaded attachment point on the head. The entire assembly (CL-360, Diffuser-70, and ballhead) feels solid and secure. That said, common sense must prevail and reasonable care should be exercised when using this setup to avoid overstressing any of the attachment points.

Also important to bear in mind: The opinion expressed above is mine and has not been endorsed by either Cheetah or Godox. As always, if in doubt, consult the vendor.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 13, 2013 00:46 |  #2459

Ditto Tetrode above

how I use it on my softlighter

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

I picked up this
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

so now I just screw that into the 1/4-20 thread and have a nice secure mount I can just drop into my tilt unit
for the soft lighter its only holding itself up ? if it can hold a umbrella leveraged out dont see why it cant hold itself :)

I still have a kacey bracket and some others and dont mind them in some ways but also want another more portable system that does not have any kinda brackets that take up room and way more ? by the time you end up with all this bracket weight and storage you do kinda have to wonder if I should just use a pack or mono light
the idea of the 360 to me is to have power and light weight and smaller pack size but I also do not want to give up the modifiers I like :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 13, 2013 01:52 |  #2460

I would screw an L bracket to the speedring insert, and attach that to the swivel or ball head etc. That would be a pretty easy DIY for anyone with a hand drill (and a shelf bracket etc).

Its a really nice looking softbox. Though all the plastic in the speedring mechanism etc still looks like it could be a bit of an issue down the track even without the speedlight bracket section needed.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links

1,287,531 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.