Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 13, 2013 08:10 |  #2461

elv wrote in post #16292815 (external link)
I would screw an L bracket to the speedring insert, and attach that to the swivel or ball head etc. That would be a pretty easy DIY for anyone with a hand drill (and a shelf bracket etc).

Its a really nice looking softbox. Though all the plastic in the speedring mechanism etc still looks like it could be a bit of an issue down the track even without the speedlight bracket section needed.

Ironically Elv, using an L bracket as you suggest would put the 27 Oz CL-360 weight stress on the mount in the head rather than the 13 Oz weight of the 70cm modifier.

I think Dave's approach makes good sense and won't stress the mount. One should remember that the tube part of the mount slides into the head about an inch or more. That's a lot of surface to distribute the weight. The large pad on the 1/4 20 fitting on the ball head, or the padded spigot shown offer good distribution for the weight of the assembly on the 1/4 20 fitting on the head.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
CheetahStand
106 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 13, 2013 08:24 |  #2462

ZoranC wrote in post #16292587 (external link)
Do you guys feel it is safe to mount CL-360 in this fashion:

QUOTED IMAGE

YES for studio use is ok.A very good idea from Master Dave.

If you are wedding or event shooter,we DO NOT suggest mount this way.

Consider you need to move fast (with your light stand) and outdoor wind.running for the rain...........so the fact is not just only 21oz of the softbox weight anymore.
This will all cost a lot stress to the head and joint,cause demage to your light.

We recommend use the Bowen speed ring insert.you can mount on bracket and much more secure and much faster to change the light modifier...and protect your investment...capture the magic moment without worrying too much about how carefully you have to move the light....

Cheers
Happy Shooting!

Edward Tang
info@cheetahstand.com (external link)
www.cheetahstand.com (external link)
www.cheetahstand.net (external link)
Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.c​om/CheetahStand?ref=hl (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 13, 2013 08:52 |  #2463

There is another, simpler solution, Edward. The bracket supplied with the Diffuser-70 works perfectly well with the CL-360:

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/0v2j11083V450H3n2e2J/Diff70_6.jpg

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/1y3T3a25411Z0a2b2K0p/Diff70_7.jpg

It isn't as elegant a solution as using the dedicated DA-03 adapter but it does eliminate all stresses on the flash head. A 3-1/2" aluminum disk with a flash tube diameter hole cut in its center could be attached to the inside of plastic aperture plate which would eliminate spill out the back of the softbox while reflecting light forward. That's my next project.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 13, 2013 09:01 |  #2464

the chrome metal rods that hold up the box do they fold down flat ?
if you could have them fold down then fold up and fit into a niche kinda thing would be a cool design ?
I guess as long as the mount and the modifier fit in the bag without taking up extra room ?

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 13, 2013 09:04 |  #2465

to bad the elinchrom does not have some kinda quick release like that :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 13, 2013 09:09 |  #2466

Chad D wrote in post #16293299 (external link)
the chrome metal rods that hold up the box do they fold down flat ?
if you could have them fold down then fold up and fit into a niche kinda thing would be a cool design ?
I guess as long as the mount and the modifier fit in the bag without taking up extra room ?

No, they don't fold flat. No doubt, the thinking was that the diameter of the softbox speed ring is larger than the diagonal of the bracket so there wasn't much to be gained by making the metal rods foldable. I think we would disagree about that.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 13, 2013 09:09 |  #2467

tetrode wrote in post #16289117 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

What are you using to attach to the cheetah light? It looks like it is screwed into the flash??

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 13, 2013 09:32 |  #2468

The Diffuser 70 looks like it is very well made an holds it shape unlike many of the Ebay brands and some of the expensive ones. How do you think the overall quality compares to others? Elinchrom Deep Octa or the SP Studio Systems Octa ( http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …EZ_Softbox_Octa​gonal.html (external link) ) that has held up very well for me. About about compared in quality to the new Cheetah Octa?

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 13, 2013 10:35 |  #2469

butterfly2937 wrote in post #16293318 (external link)
What are you using to attach to the cheetah light? It looks like it is screwed into the flash??

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I'm using an old ballhead I had sitting around and, yes, it is screwed into the flash head. The CL-180 and CL-360 both have a 1/4-20 threaded insert in their head meant to be used as the attachment point for the accessory umbrella holder.

philpeterson
81 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 13, 2013 10:50 |  #2470

Any weight hanging off the flash risks breaking the plastic flash head. While the overall weight of the light modifier seems low, leverage comes into play. If I was to use an octa on my Quantums, I would attach it to a bracket like Cheetah's Speed Pro, never directly to the flash.

www.phil-peterson.com (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 13, 2013 10:55 |  #2471

jmaher wrote in post #16293375 (external link)
The Diffuser 70 looks like it is very well made an holds it shape unlike many of the Ebay brands and some of the expensive ones. How do you think the overall quality compares to others? Elinchrom Deep Octa or the SP Studio Systems Octa ( http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …EZ_Softbox_Octa​gonal.html (external link) ) That has held up very well for me.

I'd have to say I'm more impressed by the design and engineering than I am by the execution. There's no getting around the fact that there's a lot of plastic in this modifier and I share Elv's concerns regarding long term durability. We'll just have to wait to see how the softbox and its clever opening/closing mechanism holds up.

For now, I'd say build quality is not up to Elinchrom Deep Octa standards. The DO has metal rods and and all metal speed ring. The SMDV Diffuser-70 has non-metal rods (the SMDV website refers to them as "plastic" though I'd like to believe they're some type of composite) and only the speed ring's outer shell is metal (presumably, the internal mechanism is metal as well but I'm not about to perform an exploratory on it). I also own several SP Studio Systems octas and squares and build quality of the SMDV modifier is about on a par with those.

The ease of operation of the Diffuser-70 is very impressive as is the out-of-the-box thinking reflected in the design. If it proves durable over the long haul, it's a winner for sure.

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 13, 2013 11:30 |  #2472

philpeterson wrote in post #16293540 (external link)
Any weight hanging off the flash risks breaking the plastic flash head. While the overall weight of the light modifier seems low, leverage comes into play. If I was to use an octa on my Quantums, I would attach it to a bracket like Cheetah's Speed Pro, never directly to the flash.

Which reminds me, the Diffuser-70 does work well with my old Quantum T2 as well:

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/0o1M3h3y0J093y3O043E/Diff70_8.jpg

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 13, 2013 12:05 |  #2473

dmward wrote in post #16292506 (external link)
OK.
I agree that Edward should be supported. He did, after all, introduce the CL-180 and CL-360 to the US market. And has great customer service.

Here (external link) is link to Calumet kit.
Its about the same price. I know the store manager at the Cheery street store in Chicago. Its their main retail presence and where lots of the professional community shop. As well as many Pro-ams.

They had a big display of the Genesis kit on the floor when I was there last week for a seminar.

I still prefer doing business with Edward.

That transmitter is ugly as hell.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 13, 2013 12:14 |  #2474

tetrode wrote in post #16293620 (external link)
Which reminds me, the Diffuser-70 does work well with my old Quantum T2 as well:

QUOTED IMAGE

Must be nice to have high end tripod heads to use for that :lol:

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 13, 2013 13:10 |  #2475

sigma pi wrote in post #16293720 (external link)
That transmitter is ugly as hell.

Eye of the beholder, Pi. I admire its rugged good looks. Besides, it kicks sand in the face of that girly Skyport transmitter you use.

sponsored links

1,288,937 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.