Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 28, 2013 16:12 |  #556

bobbyz wrote in post #15661765 (external link)
I wished I had money right now to order one but one thing I can't imagine is why AB/VML setup is so hard for location shoot? I don't do weddings but if you going to put light stand, battery/flash/modifier little weight difference to me sounds negligible. I would compare this to AB400 which is quite light strobes. A good friend of mine who is really big photog here in San Francisco uses proto strobes/BD for lot of his shoots.

With strobes I can use any modifier with sturdier setup IMHO. I could be wrong.

If you are setting up in one location, and staying there, it's not a big deal. But when you go to a park, lets say, and move to 5-6 different locations in the park, the added weight and bulk is a burden. I don't know for sure, but I would guess the E640/VML has to be at least twice the weight of the CL-180 and Battery pack. Of course we aren't talking about huge numbers here, but every pound counts...especially when It's my girlfriend carrying the lighting equipment.

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2013 16:18 |  #557

^ I did that twice for engagement session. Lugged around the E640/VML with a beauty dish. It's a bit to much.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 28, 2013 16:23 |  #558

Seems i would take the CL180's over my three 600EXRT's also, if someone could report how low level focus assist light is working. I need double duty, OCF and OnCF.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,438 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 28, 2013 17:12 |  #559

jcolman wrote in post #15662149 (external link)
The Einstein + VML + Cyber commander is a nice package. But you will pay nearly a grand for each one. The CL-180 includes everything you need for $400 less.

At approx 1/4 the power you may add.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,438 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 28, 2013 17:14 |  #560

silvrbullet wrote in post #15662306 (external link)
If you are setting up in one location, and staying there, it's not a big deal. But when you go to a park, lets say, and move to 5-6 different locations in the park, the added weight and bulk is a burden. I don't know for sure, but I would guess the E640/VML has to be at least twice the weight of the CL-180 and Battery pack. Of course we aren't talking about huge numbers here, but every pound counts...especially when It's my girlfriend carrying the lighting equipment.

Again comparing Einstein which is 4 times more powerful. I would get a nice roller bag to make it easy on the GF.:)

Say you shooting at outdoors during day. CL-180 is not going to cut IMHO. That is why I was so interested in looking at the HyperSync tests but it seems it looses power just like regular flash. Of course it has two times the power of typical flash with nice bare buld but for outdoors I think I would need atleast 4 times power more than CL-180.

BTW - I am not dissing the product. It is great that all these new things are coming out to give us more choices.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 28, 2013 18:32 |  #561

symbolphoto wrote in post #15662341 (external link)
Seems i would take the CL180's over my three 600EXRT's also, if someone could report how low level focus assist light is working. I need double duty, OCF and OnCF.

I tested it for you. If I turn all the lights off in my studio room, and turn on the focus assist lamp, I can lock focus easily using the center focus point on something with adequate contrast @ 15 feet. Much more powerful than my 580exII!

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 28, 2013 18:34 |  #562

bobbyz wrote in post #15662503 (external link)
Again comparing Einstein which is 4 times more powerful. I would get a nice roller bag to make it easy on the GF.:)

Say you shooting at outdoors during day. CL-180 is not going to cut IMHO. That is why I was so interested in looking at the HyperSync tests but it seems it looses power just like regular flash. Of course it has two times the power of typical flash with nice bare buld but for outdoors I think I would need atleast 4 times power more than CL-180.

BTW - I am not dissing the product. It is great that all these new things are coming out to give us more choices.

I see what you are saying. It's not perfect for every situation, but I tend to add fill instead of over power the sun.

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 28, 2013 19:31 |  #563

Here is my testing with highspeed sync. Real world examples to be shot over the weekend.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8517632274_ced6c85225_b.jpg

rwong2k
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 28, 2013 19:44 |  #564

sorry I think this was posted before but I can't seem to find it

how much power does this unit have in comparison to a Einstein and a 600ex-rt?
what's the best way to compare X or ws?
I believe the Einstein is 640ws

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/ (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​er (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 28, 2013 21:10 |  #565

FYI, the Link Delight price for the AD-180 has just jumped from $183 to $476 (http://www.linkdelight​.com …lb-Flash-180W/S-GN60.html (external link)). The text in the blog entry hasn't been corrected but the actual product listing now has a more realistic price.

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 01, 2013 03:15 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #566

Ok mine arrived (well before I expected) and I have to say I'm very impressed.

This is a solid little unit, and the build quality is really much nicer than I expected.

What I really like though is everything is just straight up dead simple and really easy to use, no digging through menus or any hassle like that you come to expect with speedlights. The screen is super clear and bright (you don't see that in the images).

And the sound beep with remote power control is just solid clear and simple. Inside an Apollo softbox power setting is dead easy.

The unit mounted is not much different to the speedlight/trigger combination in size (just a quick snapshot) -

IMAGE: http://flashhavoc.com/images/CL_180_a.jpg

The battery pack is is much smaller than what I expected from the images, the complete pack is about the weight of a speedlight, but the lithium battery itself weighs very little.

This is not a massively powerful unit, if you're thinking Einstein as a comparison they are not even in the same ball park. Its hard to compared to speedlights as the light is really so much different, but I'm getting around a stop more light than a 580ex etc in general, direct with 28mm refelctor/zoom, bounced, and in an Apollo softbox. Which is pretty much exactly what I was expecting, the even light spread from bare bulb plus a stop of light. The recent Dison Genius or Jinbei units only just match a speedlight in comparison.

Where the CL-180 is actually really coming out ahead is in HSS, 1 to 2.5 stops ahead of the Canon flash. Thats a number of (expensive) HSS enabled speedlights it would take to match this one unit. (We can add the 40D to the list of Cells II HSS compatible cameras).

In general I'm really happy with it so far, I shot lots of test shots in a few hours, many at close to full power, and I never thought once about over heating or changing batteries. Haven't touched a single AA battery or recharger since starting, and I won't even charge the pack tonight.

This thing just keeps trucking on, its not cheap, but compared to a Canon flash for a similar price it offers all the better parts, like remote manual and HSS, no slow down, and no AA's :-) This is not a monolight replacement, but for many people it going to be a much better alternative to similarly priced a Canon or Nikon Speedlights etc.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,294 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2013 06:48 |  #567

elv wrote in post #15663921 (external link)
but I'm getting around a stop more light than a 580ex etc in general, direct with 28mm refelctor/zoom, bounced, and in an Apollo softbox.

That's the impression I got early on. For me that would be F8, ISO100 into a 60" white satin umbrella from 60" away.

Nice.
Thanks for posting

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 01, 2013 07:01 |  #568

My three units are suppose to arrive today. I'll be using them at a wedding tomorrow.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,294 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2013 07:40 |  #569

Holy Moly! That's confidence in equipment.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 01, 2013 07:43 |  #570

windpig wrote in post #15664211 (external link)
Holy Moly! That's confidence in equipment.

I'll also have my usual assortment of lights "just in case". ;)

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,380,913 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.