Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 21, 2013 10:38 |  #1036

ramin.ma wrote in post #15851178 (external link)
I would wish for a transparent plastic cover so one could use this to diffuse the light already inside a light modifier, and (some thing very very important) one with day light to tungsten correcting so to warm the light.

+1 Great idea, kill two birds with one stone :-)

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

sponsored links
tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,777 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 21, 2013 10:52 |  #1037

agv8or wrote in post #15851325 (external link)
I have 3 Lumedyne snoots and a Lumedyne telephoto reflector with the flash tube extender and they fit and work perfectly in my Cheetah light CL-180's. I also have a Norman softbox and 2 Quantum bare bulb enhancers that work as well.

Interesting. None of the Lumedyne snoots I have will fit either of the two 180s I have on hand nor will they fit the 360. The only other Quantum/Lumedyne accessory I have that will not fit the Godox flash units is the Lumedyne ANEC mount adapter.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 13:12 |  #1038

tetrode wrote in post #15851379 (external link)
Interesting. None of the Lumedyne snoots I have will fit either of the two 180s I have on hand nor will they fit the 360. The only other Quantum/Lumedyne accessory I have that will not fit the Godox flash units is the Lumedyne ANEC mount adapter.

I do not know what to say to that Dave? The ones I have fit easily into my CL 180's and are only about an average of .005" larger diameter than my snoots and other accessories from Cheetah. My telephoto reflector is a Quantum version not the lumedyne as I previously mentioned and what you quoted so I have edited my original post to reflect this.

Rand

Gear

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,777 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 21, 2013 20:01 |  #1039

It isn't in the works (as far as I know) but I've been thinking a standalone flashtube holder would be very useful. I believe Elv mentioned that such a thing would be a desirable accessory several hundred posts ago. Removing the flashtube from the flash body makes both the 180 and the 360 much easier to pack. At approximately 8-inches in length without the flashtube, the CL-180 can pack very neatly standing up in many of my camera bags.

I've made a couple of tube holders from 1-1/4" PVC tubing and caps:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

A foam insert on one end keeps the flashtube securely in place.

The PVC flashtube holders certainly do the job but they're a bit bulky and not particularly light in weight. I haven't been able to find any off-the-shelf capped tubes that might serve in this application. The flashtubes are about 1.3" in diameter. Any suggestions?

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 21, 2013 21:48 |  #1040

tetrode wrote in post #15852895 (external link)
Any suggestions?

I thought they were going to put a cap on both ends of that new cover, so that you could take the bulb out and place it in the tube cover and cap it off again as well.

That was/would be my suggestion. They could probably still use the same cap on the other end as well, just needs something like a smaller tube inside it, so that it goes over the bulbs pins but stops the cap pushing on too far and breaking the bulb.

I'm thinking a telescopic grid-snoot and cap all in one though would be better again, saves space to carry the extra snoot. Collapsed its a cap, extended its a snoot. Similar to the end caps they have now, just make one longer so it can slide up and down the tube to extend its length.

As others mentioned maybe a CTO correction cap would be better too, cap on both ends again. Maybe the pin end could locate the bulb pins to hold the bulb in place without any padding in the tube.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 21, 2013 21:51 |  #1041

agv8or wrote in post #15851757 (external link)
My telephoto reflector is a Quantum version

This is great news, but a little confusing now.

How does the bulb extender work if the bulb is not the same mount as the Norman? (or is it the same as Norman and not Quantum?).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 22:13 |  #1042

elv wrote in post #15853219 (external link)
This is great news, but a little confusing now.

How does the bulb extender work if the bulb is not the same mount as the Norman? (or is it the same as Norman and not Quantum?).

The bulb extender works but the red alignment dot is 180 degrees different than the cheetah bulb. I just used a sharp knife to lift the dot and placed it in the right spot.

Rand

Gear

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 22:40 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1043

Here's the Quantum flash bulb extender side by side with a Cheetah bulb. The red alignment dot on the extender was originally 180 degrees from where it is now. The second picture is of the combo in the Cheetah Light.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Rand

Gear

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 22:41 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1044

Here I have installed the Quantum Telephoto Reflector.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Rand

Gear

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 22:44 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1045

Here is a Quantum Bare Bulb enhancer and a Lumedyne Snoot installed in the Cheetah Light. All my accessories from Lumedyne, Quantum and Norman all fit easily into and work in both my Cheetah Lights.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Rand

Gear

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2013 22:52 |  #1046

agv8or wrote in post #15850451 (external link)
... but you could use the Lumedyne snoots and cut them down.

How long are Lumedyne snoots? Trying to figure out can I make more than one protector from one Lumedyne snoot.

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,777 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 21, 2013 22:57 |  #1047

agv8or wrote in post #15853291 (external link)
The bulb extender works but the red alignment dot is 180 degrees different than the cheetah bulb. I just used a sharp knife to lift the dot and placed it in the right spot.

Now this is REALLY strange. I have not been able to fully seat a 180 or 360 flashtube in the Quantum bulb extender in any orientation. This is the best I can manage:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/5C6HaVd.jpg

The tube pins insert fully into your Quantum extender?

EDIT: Looking closely at your photos, it appears your Quantum extender differs slightly from mine.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 23:00 |  #1048

ZoranC wrote in post #15853409 (external link)
How long are Lumedyne snoots? Trying to figure out can I make more than one protector from one Lumedyne snoot.

The Lumedyne snoots are 4 5/8" long. I made my protectors 3" long so that they extend about 1/4" past the end of the bulb when they are fully seated in the flash receptacle. I felt this would give me the best protection since I am using a rubber end cap.

Rand

Gear

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 23:09 |  #1049

tetrode wrote in post #15853417 (external link)
Now this is REALLY strange. I have not been able to fully seat a 180 or 360 flashtube in the Quantum bulb extender in any orientation. This is the best I can manage:

QUOTED IMAGE

The tube pins insert fully into your Quantum extender?

Your extender looks different than mine. My bulb goes completely into my extender with no problem.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Rand

Gear

agv8or
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2013 23:34 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1050

Here is my next project. I am going to use the cut off end of a Lumedyne snoot to modify this Smth Victor 5" reflector and barn doors to fit the Cheetah Light. I figure I am going to need to use my Quantum flash extender to get the bulb far enough into the reflector. Stay tuned.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Rand

Gear

sponsored links

1,453,292 views & 279 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.