Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 29 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bright, crisp, headshots. How?

gazmorton2000
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 29, 2013 09:55 |  #1

As per the title really. I view a lot of photographs all over the place and one thing I can't grasp, is how they are so bright and vibrant and crisp. There are a few photographers on here who's work is like this and it's fantastic. I have a few saved in my 'Favourite Photographers' folder too so i can view their sites for inspiration, yet I can't seem to get there. I know I need to go out and practise, practise, practise. That goes without saying, but it would be good to have a starting point. Some sort of idea how to achieve the look.

One of the examples would be some of the headshots by this chap....

http://www.michaelroud​.com/ (external link) (There's music on the site by the way which I hate)

I would love some pointers from you experienced folk on here please. :)

My 500px (external link) l My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 30, 2013 15:36 |  #2

It's really all about proper lighting. It would be helpful if you could post one of your examples so that we can see exactly where the weak point is and what needs improved. Not knowing exactly where your having problems makes it difficult to give advice.

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 31, 2013 05:41 |  #3

jra wrote in post #15553190 (external link)
It's really all about proper lighting. It would be helpful if you could post one of your examples so that we can see exactly where the weak point is and what needs improved. Not knowing exactly where your having problems makes it difficult to give advice.

Thanks for your reply. Your right, I should have posted an example. This is my most recent one and whilst it is 'ok', it doesn't have that 'pow' that other peoples has.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8369295841_7d8e73d98d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/garethmorton/8​369295841/  (external link)
Monika (external link) by GazMortonPhoto (external link), on Flickr

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 31, 2013 09:09 |  #4

That picture looks nice, nice enough that I still can't determine what POW it's missing.

Perhaps link to a picture that has the qualities you want in yours now?

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 31, 2013 09:16 |  #5

I checked out Michael Roud's headshots, and half of them are out of focus. I don't know what you're looking for, but your headshot's better than a bunch of his. I think you're just being too critical on your own work :D

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,809 posts
Gallery: 698 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 31, 2013 09:29 |  #6

I'm no expert but I'll offer my 2c. I love the clarity, sharpness and the colour. Also, separation from the background. My issue with it is that my eye constantly is attracted to the sleeve/cuff instead of staying on her face. As the sleeve is in focus and the cuff is so whilte, I think they are a distraction.

Oh, and I really like the way the background picks up the colour of her eyes.

flickr (external link)

Ernst-Ulrich ­ Schafer
253 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 31, 2013 19:21 |  #7

Pretty girl, I do like the portrait but for a headshot I do have some concerns. Not sure what your exposure was here and why the cuff on the sleeve is blown out and yet your skin tones look ok? Hand placement is always critical here it's a distraction and really shouldn't be there. Nice light in the eyes. The stray hairs should be cloned out. I would saturate the eyes abit.

Check out Peter Hurley's work: http://peterhurley.com​/ (external link) Hopefully that will help out.

Today is the Day: Ruth Bernhard

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2013 01:25 as a reply to  @ Ernst-Ulrich Schafer's post |  #8

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I see what you mean about the cuff, although it is definitely not blown out. Bright yes and I can see why you are drawn to it but it's not it isn't blown. It wasn't shot as a headshot like the ones I would like to do so possibly a bad comparison. As in, I wouldn't want to clone the stray hairs etc from that portrait. I have seen Pete Hurleys work before. His headshots are superb, but all studio based. I really like his portrait stuff too, which have a lot more of the environment in.

Ernst-Ulrich ­ Schafer
253 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 01, 2013 23:38 |  #9

I'm sorry, What do you mean, the white cuff is not blown out? I see NO DETAIL there! Actually your exposure seems to be on the overexposed side.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 02, 2013 00:01 |  #10

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote in post #15562799 (external link)
I'm sorry, What do you mean, the white cuff is not blown out? I see NO DETAIL there! Actually your exposure seems to be on the overexposed side.

There is plenty of detail in the cuff. Is your monitor calibrated correctly?

I would like to see it darker because as you said, the eye is drawn to it, however.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 02, 2013 03:22 |  #11

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote in post #15562799 (external link)

There's definitely detail visible there. It is bright yes, I agree, however, your the only person who has said it is blown and has no detail there, even when I posted it in it's original thread a few weeks ago. The image is bright in general, which is how I tend to take them. You mention the exposure seems to be on the 'overexposed' side, but there's no rule that says every shot has to be metered as the 'rules' suggest? But that wasn't what this thread was about, although I do appreciate your input. :)

mikekelley wrote in post #15562837 (external link)
There is plenty of detail in the cuff. Is your monitor calibrated correctly?

I would like to see it darker because as you said, the eye is drawn to it, however.

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. I too can see detail.

Ernst-Ulrich ­ Schafer
253 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 02, 2013 09:42 |  #12

Well my apologize then, maybe it's my monitor.

KatieMarie99
215 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 03, 2013 19:32 |  #13

Well dang. If my portraits and head shots looked like yours I'd be in heaven! Beautiful work!

As everyone has said though, the cuff is a little bright. :)

website (external link) | facebook (external link)

gazmorton2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
416 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 05, 2013 06:23 |  #14

KatieMarie99 wrote in post #15569062 (external link)
Well dang. If my portraits and head shots looked like yours I'd be in heaven! Beautiful work!

As everyone has said though, the cuff is a little bright. :)

Thank you, but I still can't help but feel there's something missing. Something I am not getting.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2013 06:44 |  #15

gazmorton2000 wrote in post #15563123 (external link)
...The image is bright in general, which is how I tend to take them...

It's a pretty fair bet that your answer is right there.
Making an image too bright/over-exposing will tend to wash out finer details and make it look flat.

The image you posted looks sharp enough, but here face lacks definition because it lacks contrast, the colours don't look that great and personally, I'm not a great fan of the vignette.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links

19,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bright, crisp, headshots. How?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.