Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 18:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building My First Lighting Kit

SFtag
35 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 29, 2013 18:59 |  #1

Not a total newbie with flash photography but I would like some guidance/advice as to light modifiers and brackets you guys have had success with for your speedlites.

Heres my situation:

I have a 430 and 580 for right now. I plan on adding either another 580 or I might pick up an AB Einstein. I have been firing these wirelessly. I do not own any speed rings, softboxes, or beauty dishes. My concern is what mounting options are there that can be used easily on the speedlites I have but can also be adapted to a monolight that I plan on purchasing down the road? I guess it's mainly about the mount I'm concerned with.

For example should I buy paul c buff modifiers, use them with some sort of speedlite adapter, then if I pick up an einstein, I am in good shape? I don't know the quality of their modifiers so maybe some user experience with quality products you have would be helpful. I am the kind of person who would rather spend more on quality then have to replace something due to the poor build so I'm not looking for cheapo solutions.

Thank you for any and all help. Also links to some good articles on these topics would be awesome if you have them.

Professional Camera Operator
Amateur Photographer

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 30, 2013 09:17 |  #2

Seeing as how nobody else has anything to say, I'll give you my take on it. I prefer to use speedlight specific modifiers with speedlights and more purpose built stuff on my studio lights. The main reason I prefer to do it this way is because of the way the light is emited from the source. The bare tube of a studio light spreads out in a pattern similar to a sphere where a speedlight emits light in a much more directional manner. Now I know people will say that you can use an omni-bounce to spread the light more from a speedlight but you lose power and still have to push through the diffusion material.

So, I recommend something like the Lastolite EZBox Hotshoe for speedlights. I know there are cheaper copies out there but, my Lastolite has been very durable. My only complaint about it is the coldshoe mount on the bracket. It has never failed but it just seems weak and doesn't inspire confidence when hanging a $550 600EX-RT high above the pavement. You can use the EZBox with some studio strobes. I have an adapter that lets me use it with my Elinchrom Quadra.

If you buy an Einstein down the road, most people seem pleased with the quality of the PCB modifiers and they are quite reasonably priced. Personally, I have no experience with PCB but, I certainly think the Einstein is a good value.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

449 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building My First Lighting Kit
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.