Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 05:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Longtime owners/heavy users of 5D III, please read

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 30, 2013 05:09 |  #1

I am heavily considering a 5D III as a second body. For those of you that have shot with the 5DIII for a long time, or at least ran at least 20k shots through it, I have some questions:

- How long have you had it? How many shots would you say you've put through it?
- What do you love about it? What have you grown to love about it over the time you've used it?
- What did you hate about it? What have you grown to hate about it over the time you've used it?
- Is there anything you would change, right now?
- What are its top 3 strengths?
- What are its top 3 weaknesses?
- Does the AF work most of, if not almost everytime you use it?
- What do you primarily shoot?
- How is your real world battery life?
- How is the true dynamic range? How easy/hard is it to recover details in shadows/highlights?
- Would you buy it if you could go back and do it all over again?

Thanks!

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 30, 2013 05:33 |  #2

I haven't put 20k shots through it yet, but I can answer some of your questions :)

- What do you love about it? What have you grown to love about it over the time you've used it?
High ISO performance is great, 100% viewfinder is very nice, the AF point coverage is so helpful
- What did you hate about it? What have you grown to hate about it over the time you've used it?
I don't "hate" anything about it, but I have found some things I dislike. I don't like the AF point illumination. The AF points only blink red when it locks focus or when you are selecting AF points, so in low light, it is very hard to see where you are focusing. It is a little bit on the heavy side for my liking.
See above
AF, high ISO, build
Most of the time. I have had misses in AI servo which seem odd, but those were indoors at quite short distances and not with ideal lenses. In one shot mode, I have had a few inconsistent shots with off-centre AF points
Travel, landscape, nature
Not as good as I'd hoped for. With occasional liveview use and IS lenses, under 500 shots
How easy/hard is it to recover details in shadows/highlights?
I get banding at low ISO when pushing the shadows by 1.5 stops or so.
A resounding yes

I hope this helps.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 30, 2013 05:45 |  #3

Since March of 2012 and over 20k in shutter count.

For me, the AF is amazing and tied for what I love the most. The image quality is the other part of the tie. The ergonomics and low noise at high iso have helped me greatly as well.

nothing really. It does everything I want it to and far more.

Nope. For others, maybe an interchangeable focus screen, but for me it won't matter.

AF
low noise at high ISO
image quality (at bit generic, but still valid)

There are none in my opinion

Work? Why would it not? When I first bought it, I tested it with a 5D MKII in low light (5D2 using center and my 5D3 using outer AF points) and it ate the 5D2 for breakfast. more details if you like

portraits/models (we call them "pretties" here)

I use the BG-E11 grip and two batteries. I get well over 900 shots with two batteries and at least 8 hours of shooting with LCD on. In fact, I've never ran out of battery life in a single day of shooting.

- How is the true dynamic range? How easy/hard is it to recover details in shadows/highlights?

Very good. I can recover 2-3 stops. But, I think it's a bunch of nonsense to try and recover shadows, much less judge a camera about shadow detail. Shoot at the proper exposure.

Sure, no change. Bought it with the 24-105 and paid more than you guys in the states (+ ~$200 body alone) and would do it again right now.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 30, 2013 07:53 |  #4

Thanks for the responses guys.

Anyone else?

^^^Click Here^^^

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 30, 2013 10:13 |  #5

Since March 2012 - when it first came out, I had mine pre-ordered from the first batch shipped to my local store. I have put a little over 20,000 shots on it. (based on me remembering when my file numbering system resets to 0. Its done that twice now)
I love the feel of it, especially with a grip. It is a workhorse, it just keeps going and can totally keep up with me. I LOVE the AF system. I have grown to love the fact that I can use any of the outer-edge focus points without a worry of lack of sensitivity or accuracy.
Nothing really, I'm still learning how to use the AF system to its fullest capabilities. Every now and then (very, very rare) the menu will freeze up. Just a glitch, doesn't stop me from shooting. Goes away in a few seconds/returns to normal.
Not really. More fps would be cool, just for the machine gun factor, but I couldn't see myself ever needing to shoot like that with the sport subjects that I shoot
AF System, Image Quality, Build Quality, High ISO
Honestly? I can't really think of any.
Absolutely. Any slipped/OOF action shots are my own fault, or not choosing the right AF case for the subject.
Dog agility, equestrian sports (dressage), animal portraiture (dogs, horses, etc), wildlife.
With two batteries in my battery grip, my battery life can last a week or more depending how often Im out to shoot.
A lot better than my T2i, so its excellent from what I'm used to
Absolutely.

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 30, 2013 13:30 |  #6

I don't own one but I heard it turns into laminate flooring when no one is looking.

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,230 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 30, 2013 13:49 |  #7

- How long have you had it? How many shots would you say you've put through it?Purchased in April/May to supplement my 7D. Have probably taken 6,000 shots
- What do you love about it? What have you grown to love about it over the time you've used it? The high ISO performance is outstanding. The AF system is very good, but so is my 7D
- What did you hate about it? What have you grown to hate about it over the time you've used it? Nothing comes to mind.
- Is there anything you would change, right now? Nothing comes to mind
- What are its top 3 strengths? image quality, high ISO performance, AF performance
- What are its top 3 weaknesses? Slow SD card performance
- Does the AF work most of, if not almost everytime you use it? The AF system is the best I have used -- a small improvement over my 7D
- What do you primarily shoot? landscapes, wildlife, family events, some sports
- How is your real world battery life? Battery life has never been an issue. I usually recharge the battery long before it needs it, and I do not use a battery grip. Could probably get close to 1,000 shots if needed
- How is the true dynamic range? How easy/hard is it to recover details in shadows/highlights? Better than any of my crop bodies. I have been getting more into Lightroom with the 5D3, which helps in this area.
- Would you buy it if you could go back and do it all over again? Definitely

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

nhglamour
154 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 30, 2013 14:08 |  #8

Not a long term/heavy user, but I would like to share my two cents

Since October 2012 and at least 2k shots.

The overall image quality when compared to my two previously owned cropped cameras (20D and 7D). The automatic white balance is definitely smarter than my 7D. I have grown to love its ability to focus in low-light condition.

Slow writing speed when writing RAW and sJPEG to both cards. But, that is within expectation.

Wish it can support the high speed writing on the SD cards.

Overall image quality, high ISO performance, and AF system in low light condition.

slow write speed to SD card, easy lint/dust built up around the edge of LCD screen, and no interchangeable focus screen.

It works very very well

portraits, still life, events and some action shots of dogs running in the dog park.

pretty good to me.

Very good. I would say easy to recover.

I would!!! And if I have to buy again, it will be cheaper in the future. lol

5D3 with grip | 7D with grip| 24-70 f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM | 100 f2.8 L IS USM Macro | 24 f1.4 L USM II | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar T* ZE | 600EX-RT | 580EX | ST-E3 | ST-E2

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 30, 2013 14:12 |  #9

About 7K

High ISO Image quality
The AF accuracy
The AF options
Customizability of functions

Nothing worthy of "hate"

Little things:
* AF points don't light up issue (it's fixed to 1DX, it should be fixed for 5D3)
* Proper implementation of Auto-ISO in M mode
* Better range of "minimum shutter speed" while in auto-iso
* More flexible minimum/maximum ISO options while using Auto-ISO
* Proper SD-card support (SDXC speeds and above)
* 2 more FPS to match the 7D

See "love"

See "changes"

Most of the time yes.

Indoor Sports.

1200+ shots per charge. Never ran out of juice on an outing.

Good enough for what I use it for. Never had a situation where blown highlights or dark shadows (in a properly exposed image) ruined the image.

Yes.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 30, 2013 17:04 |  #10

Since April 2012. Over 40K shots.

I love the AF, how the buttons/controls are customizable, the build quality and the size of the camera how it fits in my hand well so everything is comfortable to use. I also love being able to take more than 3 bracketed shots.

I don't hate anything about it. But I wish it had better hardware for reading/writing to an SD card. I pretty much only use the CF slot now since the SD one is so slow except in emergencies.

I am waiting for a firmware fix to address the issue of seeing the AF points when shooting in dimly lit areas or against dark objects.

AF, ergonomics, customizable

SD card slot, seeing AF points in certain situations, seeing AF red light for AF confirmation.

Seems pretty accurate almsot all the time.

Landscapes, people, pets, portraits, kids, street, hdr.

Seems okay. However, I am a little annoyed that once your battery life drops below 50%, your fps drops as well.

Seems to be pretty good. Been able to recover some fairly under exposed details. Highlights, not so much.

Definitely. I love this camera.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 30, 2013 17:20 |  #11

bw!

cheezz wrote in post #15552667 (external link)
I don't own one but I heard it turns into laminate flooring when no one is looking.

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 30, 2013 19:32 |  #12

I must admit. I lol'd. :lol:

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 30, 2013 20:15 |  #13

Thank you everyone for your responses.

So its safe to say that you guys are actually happy with your 5D Mark IIIs, and not just in the "honeymoon" phase of owning a new camera? The reason I asked for "seasoned" 5DIII shooters was because people tend to look past some things when they first buy a camera. A good example would be me looking past the awful 5DII AF when I first bought it. It took me almost 5 months to come to terms with it and realize that I basically had to just use manual focus.

^^^Click Here^^^

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2013 20:33 |  #14

I think when the price settles closer to the 2,000 mark its going to be a great great deal. It was overpriced at 3500 and thats about when I got mine.

Biggest gripe were all minor stuff. SD card is not high speed :(

If your a canon shooter really nothing better out their besides the 1dx. The 6D is crippled too much to consider I think for a lot of people.

It should have dual digic to get 7FPS I think too in this price range.

But I loved it, sold it and went another direction for now. But its GREAT camera.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2013 20:45 |  #15

This one is going to run and run, eh..? ;)

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

sponsored links

4,352 views & 0 likes for this thread
Longtime owners/heavy users of 5D III, please read
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.