Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 05:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Longtime owners/heavy users of 5D III, please read

omegaone
133 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 30, 2013 23:05 |  #16

- How long have you had it? How many shots would you say you've put through it?
Since April / May 2012... Probably almost 20K

- What do you love about it? What have you grown to love about it over the time you've used it?
41 cross sensor, more AF than 5D2

- What did you hate about it? What have you grown to hate about it over the time you've used it?
None

- Is there anything you would change, right now?
I'd like to see AF point fixed in viewfinder

- What are its top 3 strengths?
ISO, AF, customizable

- What are its top 3 weaknesses?
AF lock is a little slow when focus in dim light, double cross AF only in center line

- Does the AF work most of, if not almost everytime you use it?
Seems accurate

- What do you primarily shoot?
people, portrait, landscape

- How is your real world battery life?
about more than 1000 shots without flash. Maybe about 400 - 500 with flash or flash trigger

- How is the true dynamic range? How easy/hard is it to recover details in shadows/highlights?
Love it and easy to recover details

- Would you buy it if you could go back and do it all over again?
YES. I've been using Canon since 350D and sometimes look at the other brand but now, I'm very happy with my 5D3

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 f4L | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 85 f1.2L II | 100 f2.8L IS
Flashes: Phottix Indra500 | 580EX I | 580EX II with Phottix Odin and Godox Winstro AD360
Fuji XT1 Black | | Fujinon 18-135 f3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon 10-24 f4 OIS | Fujinon 56 f1.2
Erwin Sajudi Photography (external link)

sponsored links
JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 31, 2013 03:37 |  #17

sonofjesse wrote in post #15554308 (external link)
If your a canon shooter really nothing better out their besides the 1dx..

I really wish I could afford (see: justify) the 1DX.

Again, thanks for the responses everyone. Im going to give it another 6 months for the prices to go down a little bit (unless I can find a used one for a good price) and pick one up.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 03, 2013 14:35 |  #18

i'll give it a go

i have two...got my first one in March 2012 and the 2nd one a few months ago. according to lightroom i've put about 20K of shots on it.

- What do you love about it? What have you grown to love about it over the time you've used it?
the autofocus. and the button customization (ie, the ability to easily toggle between One Shot and Servo is awesome).

- What did you hate about it? What have you grown to hate about it over the time you've used it?
nothing, really.

the grip could be cheaper

AF, image quality, customizaton

maybe DR, but i don't know any better.

yes

live music

pretty good though i think the 5D2 gets more life

- How is the true dynamic range? How easy/hard is it to recover details in shadows/highlights?
hard to quantify, really.

yes, in fact i did.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 03, 2013 17:17 |  #19

I've had 8 Canon DSLRs - a Rebel, a bunch of XXDs, a 5Dc, 5D2 and a 1D Mark III - but only ran 10k through my 5D2 so far...too bad my opinion is worthless. :'(

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 04, 2013 04:57 |  #20

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15568704 (external link)
I've had 8 Canon DSLRs - a Rebel, a bunch of XXDs, a 5Dc, 5D2 and a 1D Mark III - but only ran 10k through my 5D2 so far...too bad my opinion is worthless. :'(

Sent you a PM about a totally different subject.

^^^Click Here^^^

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 04, 2013 17:36 as a reply to  @ JAcosta's post |  #21

I'd like to play too if I may please :D

Since mid October 2012. Came just a day before a major shoot. Shutter count is under 10K

AF ( 41 and optional 61 points ), ISO performance, IQ, Ergonomics in general

While not hating it, I would prefer the zoom function on review to be as before and similar to the 1D bodies as opposed to via a separate button ( The magnifying glass icon ). So to zoom in you simply hit review and turn the main dial just behind the shutter button

That fairly less than useful strap

That magnifying control

AF, ISO, IQ

None so far

AF is great. Couldn't have asked for better. This to me is the leading feature of the 5D3

Events

Pretty impressive. I have gone from one morning shoot to an evening one without the need to change batteries. I don't tend to ' machine gun ' at my shoots

I had intended to get a battery grip primarily for the vertical shooting position especially now that it has a multi-controller. However I'm really enjoying the relative lightness of the camera and coupled with the ease of using those 41/61 AF points I've decided to see if I can shoot comfortably without a battery grip. While I enjoy the integral grip of the 1D series, the grip on the 5D bodies always exhibits a little flex and is not as ergonomic as that of the 1D bodies. Time will tell if I succumb.

I have been able to recover 3 stops when necessary

You bet!!!

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 04, 2013 20:29 |  #22

Houston, the new grip is way better from an ergonomics perspective. but yeah, it's more expensive, too.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

dodgethis
68 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 05, 2013 03:17 |  #23

17k, based on the current file numbers and the one reset so far

The ergonomics. With a grip, it's better than feeling up a lady. That I can shoot at ISO12800 without worrying. The customisable (limited options but enough) buttons. The focus speed.

That I had to part with some of my guitar collection for it. That it makes want to have another one MkIII, as opposed to more lenses

Larger spread of the focus points. Red squares because I do a lot of concerts. Faster SD card slot or another CF card slot

Low light performance
Ergonomics
Focus speed

Slow SD card slot
That I had to pay money for it
The metering taking place only in the centre

Only when I hit the AF switch by accident on the lens (so annoying I taped them all up). Yes, I do get a lot of good hits.

Portraits, concerts, products, street

400++ on a single charge for me.

2 stops is what I would give it. More than that, it's just a handicap.

Of course

Canon 5D MkIII|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 35mm f1.4 ART|70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM|Σ 85mm f1.4 ART
Sony A7R2|Σ MC11|

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 05, 2013 04:26 |  #24

narlus wrote in post #15572958 (external link)
Houston, the new grip is way better from an ergonomics perspective. but yeah, it's more expensive, too.

Thanks Friend

I might be tempted yet. But for now I'm enjoying the relative lightness of the body though I did reflect after making the post that I shot very comfortably in portrait orientation with the grip. You're right - it is expensive and nearly amounts to an 85/1.8 here in these isles.

It's the flexing issue too that worries me since a couple of years or so ago, such an unexpected movement on my gripped 5D2 caused a blowout of the motherboard of the 5D2 and damaged the electronic innards of the grip itself. Fortunately both were still under warranty and Canon effected repairs free of charge. Thankfully it only happened once.

Best regards

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 05, 2013 08:59 |  #25

This thread is blowing up and I appreciate all the responses. It looks like everyone is in love with their 5DIII.

^^^Click Here^^^

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 05, 2013 11:04 as a reply to  @ JAcosta's post |  #26

It was love at first sight ..... or should that be first shot? :D

sponsored links

4,654 views & 0 likes for this thread
Longtime owners/heavy users of 5D III, please read
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.