Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 31 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 19:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do they video this???

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 31, 2013 19:39 |  #1

http://www.youtube.com …o?feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

I haven't a clue how they video these. I remain in awe.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

sponsored links
EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,675 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 31, 2013 19:51 |  #2

That's so effin cool! Great post!

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

recrisp
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 31, 2013 20:54 as a reply to  @ EightEleven's post |  #3

One thing, the Osprey that gets the flounder, that is a completely different flounder. They have compiled footage they took underwater and made it look more linear after putting it all together. They use more than one shooter too, I'm sure, from different vantage points, and MAGIC! heheh
Don't get me wrong, they work VERY hard to do what they do, they have sometimes months of sitting and waiting, and sporadic shooting, it's a really tough job.
The rest, that's stuff they take and keep in their file probably, they get really lucky too, but most of it's skill, these guys go through hell to get a few minutes of footage.
I saw something once on T.V. that showed the steps they go through, it was similar to this, but nowhere near as cool.

I have seen this one before (linked from here somewhere) and I thought it was in HD, maybe not.

Thanks for posting it again though, that is REALLY impressive stuff...

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 31, 2013 21:04 |  #4

If you go to youtube and look up some of the NatGeo behind the scenes stuff you'd be amazed. building blinds and lugging superteles in the treetops. rigging remote cameras all over the place; and then shooting for months to get "the shot".

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

That ­ Dude
54 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 09, 2013 04:53 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #5

Very impressive!!

7D/40D and an ever increasing pile!!:D

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 09, 2013 05:19 |  #6

Amazingly beautiful footage. As with most nature photography, there's no trick to it but hard work, patience and incredible skill. The two things that stand out the most to me in this clip is the fantastic tracking and focus, and the underwater shot.
Winning shot is definitely near the end, shot head-on, when the one bird catches a fish that's clearly too heavy for him, and you see him struggling to keep it while the fish' tail is still slapping the water.
One claw comes loose and I was hoping so hard for him not to drop it.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 10, 2013 03:14 |  #7

I wouldn't be surprised if the underwater shot was taken in a netted in area near shore to keep the flounder from escaping out of the view of the camera. Even though flounder are bottom feeders, they still move around a lot with the tide.

--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,096 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do they video this???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.