Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 01 Feb 2013 (Friday) 07:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pretentious? Moi?

ChrisSearle
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Feb 01, 2013 07:58 |  #1

A lot of my mates 'frame' 'sign' and title their photographs when uploading or printing. On the face of I think it looks good.... or does it look totally pretentious? As and example:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8510/8435641256_6c4be4fa3a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/84356​41256/  (external link)
Industrial 2 framed copy (external link) by Jeaunse23 (external link), on Flickr

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,347 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 01, 2013 13:44 |  #2

I've always been a big fan of less mat/border, more picture. Pretentious, I don't think so, but I prefer seeing the image w/o the "fluff".

That said, at times (depending on the image), I use a "frame" similar to this. But it's for special images only.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

willspective
599 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 06, 2013 06:40 |  #3

Hikin Mike wrote in post #15560813 (external link)
I've always been a big fan of less mat/border, more picture. Pretentious, I don't think so, but I prefer seeing the image w/o the "fluff".

That said, at times (depending on the image), I use a "frame" similar to this. But it's for special images only.

I think that makes things a little blurry, because then what defines special images only? Maybe it's special to you (which is what matters, ultimately) but if the OP is looking for approval from outside sources, then what if they/we don't consider the image special? I'm a fan of borders, personally, but I think black works better than white in most instances.

Is it not a proven fact that pictures seen on a black background are more pleasing to the eye? I could've sworn I read that somewhere. I think I'd prefer to see a photo with that type of "frame."

will (external link) | web (external link) | gear

vschapman
444 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2013 20:09 |  #4

Personally I like it, I just think its a bit too big. Maybe make the border a little bit smaller. I don't think it is pretentious though.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Gripped | Canon AE-1 Program | Bronica ETRS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II - EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III - Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6
- FD-EOS Adapter - Various FD Lenses - Home Darkroom

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 09, 2013 05:18 |  #5

I like it.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Canorka
31 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 18, 2013 08:33 |  #6

I'm not a fan. I went through a brief borders phase a couple of years ago but quickly grew out of it. Much prefer the clean minimalistic look of a great photo speaking entirely for itself.

7D | EF-S 10-22 | 50 1.4 | 70-300L | Feisol CT3441S
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

909 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pretentious? Moi?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.