Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FoCal Calibration Software... A+ in my book

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 02, 2013 18:11 |  #196
bannedPermanent ban

El Pedro wrote in post #15773144 (external link)
At least you know it will be done rather then the flimsy guess that focal spits out.

I'm beginning to agree completely. Too much variation each and every time I calibrate makes me question it's accuracy.

Dave

sponsored links
Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 02, 2013 18:16 |  #197
bannedPermanent ban

kouasupra wrote in post #15783503 (external link)
Must be nice having a money tree. :)

Actually a money tree allows buying software on a whim that doesn't function as advertised....

Dave

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 02, 2013 18:24 |  #198

kouasupra wrote in post #15783503 (external link)
Must be nice having a money tree. :)

It's not a tree, pal. It's called hard work. Try it some time.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 02, 2013 18:40 |  #199

If you scroll down you can see the bench and rail.

http://www.ppmag.com …1/12/care-and-repair.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 02, 2013 19:00 |  #200

Forgot to say I believe I read somewhere they use a projection screen for testing less sharpness. The rail does the AF test.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

SVTmaniac
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 02, 2013 23:33 |  #201

digital paradise wrote in post #15784572 (external link)
Forgot to say I believe I read somewhere they use a projection screen for testing less sharpness. The rail does the AF test.

If you watch this video of the making of a 500mm f4L IS you will see the rail and the projection system used to calibrate the focus of a lens. The actual focusing is from about the 4:00 min mark to the end in the video.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=6bQ3-DWh-rA (external link)

Just sent my 500mm f4 L IS in to be calibrated and it came back perfect so whatever they do works.

-Chris
More gear than talent.

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2013 01:47 |  #202

tgara wrote in post #15784402 (external link)
It's not a tree, pal. It's called hard work. Try it some time.

Take a joke dude. I work just as hard as anybody out there.

Bottom line is that this software works and I have calibrated over 20 lens and 5 bodies.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 03, 2013 02:59 |  #203

Autofocus Microadjustment lets you match every lens to each of your AFMA-capable bodies.

Lens calibration alone can't provide that.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 03, 2013 03:19 |  #204

Bakewell wrote in post #15784358 (external link)
I'm beginning to agree completely. Too much variation each and every time I calibrate makes me question it's accuracy.

Anybody who expects the exact same number each and every time obviously has no idea as to how MICROfocus adjustment works or the results one can expect from it. How they can continue to have such impossible expectations when the reasons have been explained to them several times means that they're either ....

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 03, 2013 08:48 |  #205
bannedPermanent ban

hollis_f wrote in post #15785811 (external link)
Anybody who expects the exact same number each and every time obviously has no idea as to how MICROfocus adjustment works or the results one can expect from it. How they can continue to have such impossible expectations when the reasons have been explained to them several times means that they're either ....

Dale Carnegie at work! Who said exact same? Close, yes. 10 points apart, no.

Dave

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 03, 2013 16:06 |  #206

I use FocusTune.

Two of my lenses behave very differently, depending on whether they are always defocused towards far between test shots, vs. defocused towards near. One direction results in a decent peak, the other in something much less definite.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 04, 2013 04:35 |  #207

jrbdmb wrote in post #15679101 (external link)
Users who are have having trouble with any piece of HW or SW are going to be the ones posting about it on internet message boards. Those who don't have issues don't bother posting. So I'd be reluctant to say FoCal is "hit or miss" based on the few people on this thread having issues with it.

Really? I thought this thread was started by someone who was over the moon with this software. Maybe i got the meaning A++ wrong :confused:

I've read quite a few threads on this type of software, and they are populated by people who are having great results, and those who aren't. In fact i'd say the higher % of posts are from those who love the software.
As per my post, i said "for some". Those who are happy are not the ones i was talking about, but its obvious this software is not 100% reliable for everyone, and doesn't work miracles anyway, and if you are going to get variable results then maybe the Dot Tune or moire method are better as they are free.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 04, 2013 07:32 |  #208

dave_bass5 wrote in post #15789297 (external link)
if you are going to get variable results then maybe the Dot Tune or moire method are better as they are free.

I suspect a lot of people may be buying FoCal because they've got inconsistent results with other methods, almost certainly because of improper procedures.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 04, 2013 10:23 |  #209

I bought, and calibrated all my lenses just before a trip to Costa Rica. When I returned I did a re-cal of my EF 70-200 f4L lens and the Tamron 18-270, just to see if the numbers held up. Both lenses went through FoCal just fine. I did not have to make any further adjustments, on my 50D.

For the lighting of the target, I used a 500w halogen work light. I set the white balance to halogen, and let the program take all the shots in auto mode.

I tried using two different methods prior to using FoCal, the worse results was with the ruler, and once using a line of batteries. Somebody suggested taking photos of someones eyes, and looking at single eyelashes. It was a interesting assignment, but the actual results were not conclusive to any front/back focus. I did find using FoCal, distance is a factor when calibrating a zoom lens. Also, calibrating a macro lens, you have to use min focus distance as your bench mark, if you do true macro, 1:1. I would like to know how to use FoCal using a tele-extender. I tried using my best "L" lens 70-200mm and the lens was off the chart with the extender, without the extender, it was almost "0" on the 50D's scale. It could be when zoomed out the lens was at over 400mm, and I had my tripod to close to the target. (wall to wall in the garage through the house 58') The same lens with a 1.6 converter moved the cursor to back focus to 1.2. I adjusted it as close to "0" as possible, now you cannot tell if the extender is in or out in my photos. Before, you could make out some back focus, with the 1.6 extender. The brand of the extenders are: 2X, Tamron, 1.6 Kenko.

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 02, 2014 20:35 |  #210

I bought FoCal a while back and it worked well enough with my 7D. I recently purchased a 5DIII and found that FoCal will not do an automatic microadjustment for that body. I've tried their manual process and found it essentially useless. I'm probably doing something wrong. Anyway, I found simply shooting tethered, viewing the results, making an adjustment, and repeating the process until I think I have the sharpest picture effective. I'm really disappointed that FoCal doesn't work for the 5DIII.

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

sponsored links

42,631 views & 1 like for this thread
FoCal Calibration Software... A+ in my book
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.