Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FoCal Calibration Software... A+ in my book

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2014 21:37 |  #211

The 5D3 shortfall is the only reason I have not purchased it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2014 04:13 |  #212

With the latest version of FoCal doing any sort if auto focus when setting up the target crashes the program on my PC.
Otherwise I'm not having any issues with my 5DMKIII.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 03, 2014 05:50 |  #213

With my 5DIII / 50 f/1.4 combination, my microadjustment is +19. Pictures are OK, but doesn't that seem excessive?

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,514 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 03, 2014 08:46 |  #214

Oldschool1948 wrote in post #16573870 (external link)
With my 5DIII / 50 f/1.4 combination, my microadjustment is +19. Pictures are OK, but doesn't that seem excessive?

+19 = not excessive.

>20 = excessive.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2014 11:12 |  #215

Oldschool1948 wrote in post #16573870 (external link)

How is your 5D3 with other lenses? From a personal standpoint that seems excessive, negative or positive at that amount. Being a prime and if you are happy with it then it is up to you. I would send it to Canon, but that is me. I'm not saying you should.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2014 11:17 |  #216

dave_bass5 wrote in post #16573764 (external link)
With the latest version of FoCal doing any sort if auto focus when setting up the target crashes the program on my PC.
Otherwise I'm not having any issues with my 5DMKIII.

Reading many post here Focal states it is fully automated however it is not on the 5D3. It is not a big deal however I have always been on the fence with MA in general. A good product but if it advertises as fully automated and I'm paying for that then it should be.

Image Editing OK

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2014 11:30 |  #217

digital paradise wrote in post #16574457 (external link)
Reading many post here Focal states it is fully automated however it is not on the 5D3. It is not a big deal however I have always been on the fence with MA in general. A good product but if it advertises as fully automated and I'm paying for that then it should be.

That's not what I meant.
I'm well aware of the fact FC can't adjust the Camera automatically. What I'm talking about is when you set the target up you get 3 different options to get the camera to auto focus on the target. It's worked perfectly in previous versions but the latest version just crashes and I have to re launch it (and remote camera settings as well).
So now I have to manually focus on the test chart.

This is pretty poor program in, espeaclly as it seems they broke a previously working feature.

Dave.
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2014 11:33 |  #218

digital paradise wrote in post #16574446 (external link)
How is your 5D3 with other lenses? From a personal standpoint that seems excessive, negative or positive at that amount. Being a prime and if you are happy with it then it is up to you. I would send it to Canon, but that is me. I'm not saying you should.

I agree with that. We are talking micro adjustments, but a lot of them adds up to quite a shift in focus IMO, and I wouldn't be happy with a new lens if it needed this much.
if it's an old lens I'd live with it as long as the images end up as sharp as they should be, but a new lens would go back for an exchange.

Dave.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2014 13:03 |  #219

dave_bass5 wrote in post #16574490 (external link)
That's not what I meant.
I'm well aware of the fact FC can't adjust the Camera automatically. What I'm talking about is when you set the target up you get 3 different options to get the camera to auto focus on the target. It's worked perfectly in previous versions but the latest version just crashes and I have to re launch it (and remote camera settings as well).
So now I have to manually focus on the test chart.

This is pretty poor program in, espeaclly as it seems they broke a previously working feature.

Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Image Editing OK

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2014 13:14 |  #220

No problem. I did post the question on their Facebook page but didn't hear back, which is unusual as they have been quite helpful in the past.

Not the end of the world I suppose but not confidence inducing either IMO.

Dave.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2014 13:19 |  #221

dave_bass5 wrote in post #16574501 (external link)
I agree with that. We are talking micro adjustments, but a lot of them adds up to quite a shift in focus IMO, and I wouldn't be happy with a new lens if it needed this much.
if it's an old lens I'd live with it as long as the images end up as sharp as they should be, but a new lens would go back for an exchange.

This is such a mixed bag of nuts. Actual nuts, not the members. The manual states to use MA only if necessary and at the location you are shooting at. Also states that MA could cause miss focus.

I called one tech at Canon USA and he told me MA was for temporary use and the lens and/or camera should go in. Another told me it is OK to use for everyday shooting. Canon Canada told me +17 was fine, it goes all the way to 20. I found Canon Canada tries to avoid warranty work for that type of stuff. They want pictures, etc. Canon USA just fixes it when you send it in.

I'm not against using MA. I know people do well with it. I can see benefits using 3rd party lenses. I just don't trust myself. I always second guess, MA again and get different results. I MA'd my 100 macro at 4, 8 and 12 feet and got different results.

If I had a studio lens and always shot at 8 feet then yes. I have to admit it is expensive to send a lens in to have it calibrated after warranty so I usually get that done before it runs out. I've only had to do that once so far on a new lens. I find if the camera and lens are within spec, MA is out only a few ticks. Hardly noticeable.

From time to time I'm hovering over the buy button, then I change my mind. That DotTune method told me my lens was out which I had suspected so I sent it to Canon.

Image Editing OK

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2014 13:29 |  #222

Yes, I take your point and agree.

Again, for me I'd need my lenses to work on both my bodies, and my 650D doesn't have MFA.
I realise that because one camera needs it another might not, but I would worry that if I needed so much on my 5D that the lens might not be usable on my 650D. This has actually been the case with a Tamron lens I had last year, and my 50mm f/1.4 needs around +6 on my 5D, yet is very soft at the same f/1.4 on the 650D. I'd hate to have to use a very high MFA on one camera and not be able to use the lens on the other.
Luckily all my other lenses are almost spot on with both bodies.

Dave.

gnirtS
232 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2014 16:19 |  #223

Bumping an old thread here but can anyone clarify if the latest versions work with the narrow and tele (ie 2 zone) MFA cameras such as the 70D have or does it just say and pick one focal length?

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/whitcomberd/ (external link)
http://www.hvsac.co.uk (external link)

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 14, 2014 16:51 |  #224

gnirtS wrote in post #16904496 (external link)
Bumping an old thread here but can anyone clarify if the latest versions work with the narrow and tele (ie 2 zone) MFA cameras such as the 70D have or does it just say and pick one focal length?

Yep, has done for a while.

Dave.

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 08, 2014 17:41 as a reply to  @ post 16573137 |  #225

I created a new Thread with a question I had about FoCal in a different subforum because originally I didn't want to hijack other people's conversations and also because I wasn't sure where the right place for my question was. However, after looking through this thread some more it appears posts are all over the place in terms of the original review of the software and instead this thread might be the best spot for it?

Just looking to hear more people's experiences with FoCal as it pertains to my question:

Hi there -

I've done some general searching here on this site but could not find answers to a question regarding the FoCal calibration software. I'll admit that I have not spent a lot of time in the manual YET , but I figured I'd post this out here to see what others are doing.

I'm using a 70D and trying to run tests and calibrate some of my lenses. The problem I'm having is of course lighting...

First, I don't really know what would be best to do the tests and calibration (I'm sure the manual tells me and I'm guessing it is outside or in natural light) but...

This weekend was beautiful and I was able to get outside, but even then the light at my house seems too uneven (too many trees, too much shade, light shifting all over). It was time consuming having to move around so much trying to get consistent light.

I'm just a hobbyist photographer, so no studio, no special light/strobe setups. I probably shouldn't even be worrying about testing or MA-ing my camera/lenses, but it interests me. Basically I'm just hoping there an acceptable, easy setup I could do that would allow me to do this calibration inside the house? Bulbs I could buy for better light, etc.?

It would be fantastic if I could find something that would allow me to do this at night after the wife/kids have gone to bed, where I can I can take my time and be confident about the results. If you've got something that works for you and you are happy with the FoCal calibration/test results, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks!

PS - reading the supplied FoCal docs now ;)

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

sponsored links

42,662 views & 1 like for this thread
FoCal Calibration Software... A+ in my book
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.