Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Feb 2013 (Monday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS5 adding Fringing and other junk... Can this be avoided?

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2013 09:04 |  #1

First off - this may or may not be a problem. Of course, I wish it weren't happening but I have a feeling this just may be a limitation of file size or photoshop software. Could also be these damn Fuji files, or the DNG conversion i'm not sure. I know these crops are totally unrealistic and that I shouldn't peep but the DNG file is so clean, I really would like the .psd to look like that!

The two crops below show exactly the problem.

First the DNG file converted from X-E1 RAF file. Nice and clean. No issues at all from the 18-55 zoom. Really pretty impressive.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Second, the same crop from the PSD file when imported to CS5.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Bad fringing and that grid overlay which I presume is CS5 throwing all that detail away on import.

I know this isn't a problem at normal viewing sizes, but if I wanted to clean up some of the image - Scotiabank sign and garbage on the ground, and print this large do these details become noticeable or am I expecting too much?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks for looking.

Matt
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 04, 2013 11:22 |  #2

Hmm, the artifacts do look strange -- what exactly was your workflow, and are seeing this consistently?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2013 11:43 |  #3

My workflow is import RAF files into LR4, convert to DNG using adobe DNG converter, from LR4 - edit photo in CS5. Camera Raw can't open RAF files (the latest version can but i'm not upgrading), that's why I have to convert to DNG.

If it's been a problem I haven't noticed it before. mind you, i've never had to convert to DNG before either. The Fuji is new to me though so I haven't had much time editing these RAF files so this could be a camera specific issue. Does seem odd though the DNG file looks perfectly acceptable only to be butchered by CS5.

Matt
flickr (external link)

Redcrown
337 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 04, 2013 12:16 |  #4

Can't tell much from your samples. Suggest you upload the original raw somewhere (Dropbox?) so others can process it to see if they get the same results.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 04, 2013 12:22 |  #5

I'd second the above suggestion. Then, when you Edit in Photoshop, the image has to go through a second conversion. Maybe try opening the DNG directly in Camera Raw via Bridge and see what you see in Camera Raw when zoomed in before it converts to the psd...?

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2013 12:38 |  #6

Ok i'll try uploading the RAW file when I get home. I would assume that it looks fine in Camera Raw just as it does in Lightroom. It's the conversion into psd that it gets messy. I will also try Fuji's raw processor - Silkypix - to see if that helps.

Thanks guys.

Matt
flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 04, 2013 17:05 |  #7

Is the first image ("DNG file converted from X-E1 RAF file") a screenshot or the file exported from LR?

Certainly shouldn't come out like the second screenshot.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 04, 2013 17:39 |  #8

Here is a comparison of a dng (generated from a CR2) and a psd generated from the dng and opened in PSCS2.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Elie / אלי

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2013 17:42 |  #9

René Damkot wrote in post #15572241 (external link)
Is the first image ("DNG file converted from X-E1 RAF file") a screenshot or the file exported from LR?

Hi René,

Those are crops exported as jpgs from LR4 - no screenshots, and look exactly as they do on my monitor in LR4.

I just tried silkypix but it only converts to jpg or tiff.

The file can be downloaded here with code NV9QQ if anyone wants to give it a shot.

http://efshare.com/?s=​7J4ACR (external link)

Matt
flickr (external link)

Redcrown
337 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 04, 2013 22:15 |  #10

I downloaded your raw and converted it to DNG using the latest DNG Converter (7.3).

Then I banged away on it with CS6 and CS5, using every option I could think of to "break" it, but nothing I did created the fringing and grid pattern shown in your example. I tried different "process versions" of ACR, different color profiles, strong sharpening, lens profile correction, NR, clarity, etc. They all worked as I expected, but no fringe or grid.

The grid pattern looks similar to what I see sometimes with HDR programs or other "tone mappers" like Topaz, but I can't get it on this image using ACR and Photoshop.

I don't use Lightroom, and would not expect it to be the culprit, but I'd recommed you bypass Lightroom and see if the same problem exists. Open the dng directly in CS5, save as a PSD, re-open the PSD in CS5 and see if the problem is still there.

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2013 22:27 |  #11

Thanks Red, did you use Adobe DNG converter or the latest version of ACR? I don't have the latest version of ACR which is why I had to use the Adobe converter.

Thanks very much for taking the time to run those tests - much appreciated. All for a Fuji user no less. This forum is class.
I'll try by passing lightroom and let you know what happens.

Cheers

Matt
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 00:21 |  #12

sticknpuck wrote in post #15573384 (external link)
Thanks Red, did you use Adobe DNG converter or the latest version of ACR? I don't have the latest version of ACR which is why I had to use the Adobe converter.

Thanks very much for taking the time to run those tests - much appreciated. All for a Fuji user no less. This forum is class.
I'll try by passing lightroom and let you know what happens.

Cheers

Maybe youi should be very specific about your workflow:

When you convert to DNG as part of your import into Lightroom, or do is separately?

How do you open the image in the Photoshop editor?

Please fill in any details in your steps along the way: what processing do you do in Lightroom, for example?

Tony

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2013 01:37 |  #13

tonylong wrote in post #15573702 (external link)
Maybe youi should be very specific about your workflow:

When you convert to DNG as part of your import into Lightroom, or do is separately?

How do you open the image in the Photoshop editor?

Please fill in any details in your steps along the way: what processing do you do in Lightroom, for example?

1. SD card inserted into PC
2. LR4 opens to import
3. RAF files imported into LR4
4. Open Adobe DNG converter and convert files in that folder
5. Synchronize folder in LR4

I have tried every which way at this point of getting it into CS5 - photo>edit> in CS5, open file in explorer> open with CS5 it does not seem to matter. I am 90% certain this is an issue with the DNG converter. I re-checked my older 60D files and none of them show these issues.

Tomorrow I will try a 60D RAW file converted in Adobe DNG converter and see what happens. It's gotta be something to do with Adobe's lackluster support of the x-trans RAF files.

Matt
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 01:41 |  #14

OK, try setting your LR Import to convert to DNG, using a "current" DNG converter.

Tony

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2013 06:05 |  #15

As you have LR4 why not just use that for your RAW conversion and do away with the convert to DNG? LR has the exact same tools as ACR, in fact if you are using LR4 and an older version of PS then LR gives you the option of using the new Process 2012 as well. Apply all of your RAW conversion settings in LR and then just use the export to PS option if you need to do any pixel level editing. I cannot see any reason why you would need to go LR4 > convert to DNG > ACR > PS when you can go directly from LR4 > PS.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

2,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS5 adding Fringing and other junk... Can this be avoided?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.