Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 07:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gull and tern

REC500
399 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 06, 2013 07:56 |  #1

Hi everyone,
I am new to POTN. I am an beginner at bird photography and have been reading the forum for tips on bird photography. I thought I should post some photos to get critique and advice.
Following are from my 6th or 7th birding efforts and after about 2000 shots at birds. I hope I am on the right track.
Equipment: 550D and EF-S 55-250 IS.
Regards.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,002 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 12, 2013 00:46 |  #2

Hello, REC! (what's your real name?)

Looks like several thousand images, you finally nailed focus! That's the toughest part of shooting birds in flight.

You had some strong sunlight for these opportunities, which certainly helps your camera to achieve focus. But it does create some shadows (image #2), which may or may not be desirable, depending on the particular image and the look you are going for.

Could you please post the EXIF information for each of these photos - such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, metering mode, etc? Also, knowing the time of day would be helpful, as it relates to sun angle. Generally, the more information you can provide, the more constructive critique you'll receive.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

REC500
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 12, 2013 10:58 |  #3

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15600820 (external link)
Hello, REC! (what's your real name?)

Looks like several thousand images, you finally nailed focus! That's the toughest part of shooting birds in flight.

You had some strong sunlight for these opportunities, which certainly helps your camera to achieve focus. But it does create some shadows (image #2), which may or may not be desirable, depending on the particular image and the look you are going for.

Could you please post the EXIF information for each of these photos - such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, metering mode, etc? Also, knowing the time of day would be helpful, as it relates to sun angle. Generally, the more information you can provide, the more constructive critique you'll receive.

Hi Tom,
Thank you for your comment.
Yes, I do need a lot of light for the 55-250 to focus. I think it got a little better after I got a hood and threw the UV filter away though. I was concentrating on getting a front angle shot of the tern and was not thinking about the shadow(I never thought about shadows in BIF shots till now, thanks for pointing that out) but now that you mentioned, it does look a bit undesirable, advice noted.

I took the photo at around 10am(Sunrise was 6.45am) and the bird was about southwest from where I was standing with the following settings:
F/5.6
1/4000
ISO 400
Focal Length 250
Cloudy WB
IS was switched on but I think focus would have been faster if I had switched it off.

Thanks again,
Wanbor

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,002 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 12, 2013 12:12 |  #4

Wanbor,

You did a good thing to get the filter off the lens. It's best to shoot with no filters at all, especially in strong light.

All of the other settings look like good decisions.

The best way to get better BIF photos is to just keep taking more, then examining them for details (such as shadows), and asking yourself, "what could I do a bit differently next time?" Then, go out and shoot some more, doing it a bit differently. Then come back and examine those images, and . . . well, the cycle just continues indefinitely. And, over time, the images usually get a little bit better, step by step, until you get the best you can from your gear. Then, you want to upgrade gear! It never stops!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sailaway78
215 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 12, 2013 12:22 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #5

Good pics, and good advice given. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
These are nice and sharp. Lighting may be a tad off, but you just gotta take what mamma nature gives you.

REC500
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 13, 2013 09:29 |  #6

sailaway78 wrote in post #15602243 (external link)
Good pics, and good advice given. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
These are nice and sharp. Lighting may be a tad off, but you just gotta take what mamma nature gives you.

Thank you.
Putting 'PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE' in my signature.

REC500
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 13, 2013 09:38 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15602199 (external link)
Wanbor,

You did a good thing to get the filter off the lens. It's best to shoot with no filters at all, especially in strong light.

All of the other settings look like good decisions.

The best way to get better BIF photos is to just keep taking more, then examining them for details (such as shadows), and asking yourself, "what could I do a bit differently next time?" Then, go out and shoot some more, doing it a bit differently. Then come back and examine those images, and . . . well, the cycle just continues indefinitely. And, over time, the images usually get a little bit better, step by step, until you get the best you can from your gear. Then, you want to upgrade gear! It never stops!

Thanks again Tom,
I spent over a couple of speechless hours in your website.
It is amazing that there are people of your caliber who actually take the time to offer free advice on the net and it is very encouraging to see your comments and advises one one's posts.
POTN is a blessing.
Sincerely.

catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 13, 2013 20:58 |  #8

you have done quite well Wanbor, especially knowing the limitations of the lens. You have worked with the light, so that helps heaps. As was said, practice a lot.

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 13, 2013 21:07 |  #9

I also think you're doing well! And don't think that you're alone in taking hundreds of BIF shots that turn out to be not quite focussed or slightly blurred. I think that most of us go through that and get better with practice.

(I also photograph bees and other insects and can assure you that I have hundreds of out-of-focus bee's bums, and every other angle! BUT...I'm getting better and every now and then manage to score a really good one!)

Growing old disgracefully!

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 13, 2013 21:38 |  #10

I like the 2nd one with that shadow on inner wing.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

REC500
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 14, 2013 09:34 |  #11

Thanks Tina, went through your amazing sumugmug galleries and your comment means many times as much now.
Thanks Ricardo, learned that the hard way..
Thank you Samsen.

sponsored links

929 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gull and tern
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.