Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 leg sections vs 4 leg sections... does it really matter anymore?

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 12:30 |  #1

EDIT: The title should be: 3 extension vs 4 extension... does it really matter anymore?

With todays modern CF tripods, with sophisticated quick locks, does having an extra joint really effect performance?

Can someone point to a study that has been done anywhere that tests this theory?

It is my assumption, that it no longer matters with respect to stability. The only place were it might have an effect, is in the fact that the last extension would be a little smaller then the same tripod with 3 legs.

But I would suspect that a 4 extension tripod, where the last leg is as wide or wider then a 3 extension tripod, will be as stable.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links
trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2013 14:09 |  #2

More joints = less stability. It's simply physics.

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 14:14 |  #3

trailguy wrote in post #15579874 (external link)
More joints = less stability. It's simply physics.

In a lot of cases, a joint is the strongest point of an object, so it's not that simple.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

Phobosx13x
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 06, 2013 14:28 |  #4

Its more a matter of overall strength. 4 solid extensions with good locks are better than 3 flimsy extensions with weak locks.

The other issue is that 3 sections are normally shorter than 4. Taller is less stable, but not inherently because of the extensions and joints, but rather because of the height. So you have to be careful to lay blame for instability where it belongs.

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 14:57 |  #5

Phobosx13x wrote in post #15579967 (external link)
Its more a matter of overall strength. 4 solid extensions with good locks are better than 3 flimsy extensions with weak locks.

The other issue is that 3 sections are normally shorter than 4. Taller is less stable, but not inherently because of the extensions and joints, but rather because of the height. So you have to be careful to lay blame for instability where it belongs.

True.

In my case, I am looking at these two tripods, and wondering if at the same hight, a difference in stability is detectable.

http://www.feisol.com/​0823tripodsdetails-4.html (external link)

As you can see, the difference when collapsed is quite a bit, so the inconvenance of an added lock is acceptable. However if it really does impact stability, I then have to think more about it.

-Jeremy

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2013 17:48 |  #6

I tried this on Gitzo 3 series systematics. When set to my normal shooting height the 3 section version had significantly better torsional rigidity. You state that the the leg lock can be the strongest point, that may well be true in many cases. If it is the case then with 4 leg sections (as opposed to 3) you introduce 6 (2 per leg) extra stress points and 3 of these are on a thinner leg section than is present on a 3 section tripod. As you can see the more sections the less rigidity.
However, back in the real world, we all have to make compromises. If the collapsed length is important then the SLIGHT loss in rigidity is well worth the added convenience. I notice, from your sig, that you do not use heavy or long lenses so I wouldn't worry about it too much - just go for the short collapsed length of the 4 section or the setting up convenience of the 3 section version - whichever suits you needs.
P.S. a friend of mine has the 3 leg section version and it works very well with my 300 F2.8 IS + extenders, it is a very nice light tripod by any standards.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 18:59 |  #7

johnf3f wrote in post #15580679 (external link)
I tried this on Gitzo 3 series systematics. When set to my normal shooting height the 3 section version had significantly better torsional rigidity. You state that the the leg lock can be the strongest point, that may well be true in many cases. If it is the case then with 4 leg sections (as opposed to 3) you introduce 6 (2 per leg) extra stress points and 3 of these are on a thinner leg section than is present on a 3 section tripod. As you can see the more sections the less rigidity.
However, back in the real world, we all have to make compromises. If the collapsed length is important then the SLIGHT loss in rigidity is well worth the added convenience. I notice, from your sig, that you do not use heavy or long lenses so I wouldn't worry about it too much - just go for the short collapsed length of the 4 section or the setting up convenience of the 3 section version - whichever suits you needs.
P.S. a friend of mine has the 3 leg section version and it works very well with my 300 F2.8 IS + extenders, it is a very nice light tripod by any standards.

Thanks for this. It would be nice to be able to test these high end Tripods in person. Next time I am in NYC, a trip to B&H is in order :)

-Jeremy

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 06, 2013 19:26 |  #8

Jeremy, the ONLY way to be sure that one tripod is sturdier than another is to actually test it. One test I like to perform is to mount a reasonably heavy camera fitted with a long lens to the tripod and then, while looking through the viewfinder, tap the front of the lens. You'd be looking for how quickly the vibration from your tap is dampened. It's amazing how different various tripods - even ones with the "same" construction style - can be from each other.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 19:28 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #15580953 (external link)
Jeremy, the ONLY way to be sure that one tripod is sturdier than another is to actually test it. One test I like to perform is to mount a reasonably heavy camera fitted with a long lens to the tripod and then, while looking through the viewfinder, tap the front of the lens. You'd be looking for how quickly the vibration from your tap is dampened. It's amazing how different various tripods - even ones with the "same" construction style - can be from each other.

Skip, just wondering, why tap the lens and not the legs?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 06, 2013 19:32 |  #10

Sirrith wrote in post #15580960 (external link)
Skip, just wondering, why tap the lens and not the legs?

That's simple - it's because the most action would be seen by tapping the lens. What you should be looking for is two things. The first is how much the image in the viewfinder moves with the tap (you should be trying to keep the taps the same for all tests, of course) and the second is how quickly the vibration in the image ceases.

Skip Douglas

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 19:34 |  #11

SkipD wrote in post #15580974 (external link)
That's simple - it's because the most action would be seen by tapping the lens. What you should be looking for is two things. The first is how much the image in the viewfinder moves with the tap (you should be trying to keep the taps the same for all tests, of course) and the second is how quickly the vibration in the image ceases.

I see. I've always thought that tapping the lens was more a test of the tripod head than the legs! Would you recommend doing the test in live view at 10x magnification, or is that a bit unrealistic?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 06, 2013 19:36 |  #12

Sirrith wrote in post #15580979 (external link)
I see. I've always thought that tapping the lens was more a test of the tripod head than the legs! Would you recommend doing the test in live view at 10x magnification, or is that a bit unrealistic?

I think you'd find some delay in the "live view" image that you wouldn't see through the optical viewfinder. I'd prefer using the viewfinder any day.

Skip Douglas

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 19:40 |  #13

SkipD wrote in post #15580984 (external link)
I think you'd find some delay in the "live view" image that you wouldn't see through the optical viewfinder. I'd prefer using the viewfinder any day.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Insecto
414 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 06, 2013 20:11 |  #14

I recently bought a Manfrotto 190CXPro4 tripod. (choosing between the 3 and 4 section CF tripods) I ended up with the 4 section because I plan to hike with it a lot and the smaller size, 3 inches, is what won me over to get the 4 section one. Three inches may not sound like a lot, but when your carrying your other camera gear, plus camping equipment, you need to keep things as small as possible. :)

I shoot almost exclusively macro, so I'll almost never need to fully extend it, but even at full extension its very sturdy for what it is (3lb tripod).

Bodies: 6D -- Trusty 350D
Flash: YN560-II
Lenses: 18-55 II -- 100mm 2.8L -- 24-105mm 4.0L -- 14mm 2.8
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/92790305@N02/ (external link)

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 20:20 |  #15

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I am heading to the airport in Manchester NH in a few days. I will stop in at Hunt's Photo while I am there, and see what they have in stock.

-Jeremy

sponsored links

4,114 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 leg sections vs 4 leg sections... does it really matter anymore?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.