Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An example of beauty...

AlanMura
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 06, 2013 19:55 |  #1

Hi. So i was giving some advice to another member of this forum on his first beauty shoot. I am not the best photographer in the world (only 2nd best lol) haha JK. But I do this for a living, 300 days/ year for international and national clientele. This is a shot I took after a cosmetics campaign wrapped. The model (Jaydn with Pinkerton), the MUA, Desiree Foote (the shiznit best MUA ever) and I hung out and shot some beauty.

I want to point out a few things since at first glance this image is flawless, but still has many flaws.
a) wings are not even
b) her eyebrows are uneven (which is actually her eyebrows fault lol)
c) her nose is slightly off axis.

Besides that, please notice the following:
1) No blur tool was ever used in retouching this
2) no plugins were used in retouching this
3) dodge, burn, clone (on lighten mode + darken mode + normal mode) were the blemish removal tools

all her original pours still exist.

lastly, I didnt use a beauty dish... its over rated.

Feel free to c/c is you'd like.

I hope this helps your future beauty shoots.

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr​.com …iqr9bhl1qh4lvto​1_1280.jpg (external link)

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

sponsored links
kasparov_ksa
76 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 06, 2013 20:01 |  #2

thank you for your post :)

350D, 60D, 18-55 kit lens, 50 1.8, 55-250, sigma 10-20, 430ex, yn460 (2)...
MyAlamy (external link)
My500px (external link)

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 06, 2013 20:18 |  #3

No prob. Just keep in mind that the above image was worked on for over 8 hours. It was actaully shot with a hasselblad at 40MP :/ but your post inspired me to share.

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 06, 2013 20:30 |  #4

I hope my neighbors didn't hear me yelling WOWwwww.
If any complain I will forward them to you.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 06, 2013 20:33 |  #5

Beautiful image!

Jim

jerbear00
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 06, 2013 21:39 |  #6

Wow. Just wow. No critique

5d3 & Lens CoLLector
Gear List/Feedback

arjay702
436 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 06, 2013 22:12 |  #7

I should just sell my camera. Can you please explain your setup, lighting and camera?

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”
Dr. Seuss
If anyone is looking for someone to give away free gear, look no further :)

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 06, 2013 22:37 |  #8

Absolutely stunning image, and thanks for the information on PP work. As you stated, pores are still there, but her skin is flawless. A great example of what we are all working toward. Love the MUA's work, uneven wings and all.

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …s/rj2_photoconc​epts/page1 (external link)flickr

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 07, 2013 02:19 |  #9

Hey guys! Thanks for all the positive remarks!

@arjay702
lol dont sell your camera! just keep shooting.

ok. As for the lighting setup you can actually see it in her eyes. The only part that is tricky to tell is that the light srouce coming from her right (your left) is a bare strobe w/ cone, shot through a 4x8 scrim. the main light is a large profoto softbox about 2 feet above her head, slightly to her right, cross light. I almost always point the stobes DOWN. I never butterfly or side light... well, rarely. What ends up happening is the main light causes a beautiful hair glow, but harsh chin shadows. So I cross light a bare strobe / skrim to lighten those areas. But its not an exact science... I dont always shoot this way I just prefer to shoot with lights pointing down. The image is also shot stopped down by 1fstop. I raise the exposure in post.

The key to remember is that most people start out and retouch their images in a matter of minutes. A workflow like this:

-heal brush to remove blemishes
-levels to correct contrast and exposure
-duplicate base layer and apply gaussian blur
-reduce gaussian blur opacity

This is a TERRIBLE way.

Heal brush sucks because it removes texture. Small minor blemishes can be removed with it, but if its a dark spot its better to use the clone tool set to lighten mode at 10-15% flow. This way you can select a region that matches the desired tone and merely paint the blemish away by adding texture from another area of the skin.

Anyway, the whole workflow takes hours, and I shot the above image at 40MP so it takes even longer. but patience is crucial with retouching.

anyway, I would be happy to answer any other questions when/if i can.

thanks again for all the positive remarks.

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 07, 2013 02:22 |  #10

AlanMura wrote in post #15581948 (external link)
Hey guys! Thanks for all the positive remarks!

@arjay702
lol dont sell your camera! just keep shooting.

ok. As for the lighting setup you can actually see it in her eyes. The only part that is tricky to tell is that the light srouce coming from her right (your left) is a bare strobe w/ cone, shot through a 4x8 scrim. the main light is a large profoto softbox about 2 feet above her head, slightly to her right, cross light. I almost always point the stobes DOWN. I never butterfly or side light... well, rarely. What ends up happening is the main light causes a beautiful hair glow, but harsh chin shadows. So I cross light a bare strobe / skrim to lighten those areas. But its not an exact science... I dont always shoot this way I just prefer to shoot with lights pointing down. The image is also shot stopped down by 1fstop. I raise the exposure in post.

The key to remember is that most people start out and retouch their images in a matter of minutes. A workflow like this:

-heal brush to remove blemishes
-levels to correct contrast and exposure
-duplicate base layer and apply gaussian blur
-reduce gaussian blur opacity

This is a TERRIBLE way.

Heal brush sucks because it removes texture. Small minor blemishes can be removed with it, but if its a dark spot its better to use the clone tool set to lighten mode at 10-15% flow. This way you can select a region that matches the desired tone and merely paint the blemish away by adding texture from another area of the skin.

Anyway, the whole workflow takes hours, and I shot the above image at 40MP so it takes even longer. but patience is crucial with retouching.

anyway, I would be happy to answer any other questions when/if i can.

thanks again for all the positive remarks.

I should hire you to retouch my stuff Alan lol.... good work buddy. MUA is top notch talent too..... as well as Pinkerton.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

vinhtran
194 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2013 03:41 |  #11

great work. i love seeing all the details on the skin.

5D3 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L II

Ken ­ Robertson
Cream of the Crop
5,521 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 07, 2013 05:19 |  #12

AlanMura wrote in post #15581138 (external link)
No prob. Just keep in mind that the above image was worked on for over 8 hours. It was actaully shot with a hasselblad at 40MP :/ but your post inspired me to share.

Whilst it is a nice image - 'over 8 hours' is and extraordinary length to spend on 1 shot - does this really reap you over 1 days salary/income? I take it that excludes the travel time and shooting elapsed time.

What would the rough income be for this shot ?

Canon 1ds Mark III
Canon 70-200IS L 2/8, 24-70L 2.8, 50mm 1.4

smooth3000
Goldmember
1,520 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2011

Feb 07, 2013 07:56 |  #13

Nice picture, thanks for sharing :)

Website (external link) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) |Instagram (external link)
D750

Ernst-Ulrich ­ Schafer
253 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2013 08:37 |  #14

Lovely image Phil, I just wish it wasn't so darn big? Thanks for the tips.

Today is the Day: Ruth Bernhard

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 07, 2013 11:56 |  #15

Holy crap. Nice. Great work.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

3,896 views & 0 likes for this thread
An example of beauty...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.