Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Acquired a Polaroid SX-70

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 09, 2013 21:47 |  #1

I was at my grandmother's today and was casually talking about some of the pictures I've taken. She then jumped up and began clearing out one of the closets and pulled out a few old cameras. One of them was a Polaroid SX-70 Land Camera. It appears to be in good condition. I found The Impossible Project makes film for it, so I'm going to buy a pack or three and see if this still works.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i31.photobucket​.com …/IMG_2568_zpsca​2435e6.jpg (external link)

http://i31.photobucket​.com …/IMG_2570_zpsdd​56fed0.jpg (external link)

http://i31.photobucket​.com …/IMG_2572_zps9d​a5fc7c.jpg (external link)

There was also what I think is an 8mm video camera made by Revere in there as well.

http://i31.photobucket​.com …/IMG_2574_zps81​8badb4.jpg (external link)

In addition to that, there was another Revere film camera in there, I think it was a 35mm still photo camera. I didn't get pictures of it; got distracted in the middle of my old school camera shoot. I hope at least the SX70 works, it will be interesting to see what this can do.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 10, 2013 00:14 |  #2

For many people,the SX-70 was their first SLR. Yes, it was a single-lens camera with a mirror-based reflex viewfinder, but not an interchangeable-lens camera. The SX-70 Sonar version was also one of the first if not the first mass-produced autofocus SLR's These cameras were wonderfully designed and assembled in the tradition of the original Polaroid 95 instant "Land" cameras, the 1940's still-classic designs that introduced the world to instant photography before later Polaroid designs were cheapened. The SX-70 also encouraged experimenting with not only the film but the battery that was part of each exposure. It's still a little sad that Polaroid cameras became obsolete, but in retrospect the convenience and capability of digital cameras became superior with the 1998 generation of cameras that included the groundbreaking Nikon Coolpix 900.

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 10, 2013 07:31 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #3

My dad has one of those! I was just thinking about that the other day... I'm gonna have to make a trip to my parent's house and see if I can dig it up!

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2013 10:25 |  #4

I still have my SX70 and multiple packs of film. I have liked my results as long as I do my part.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

DavidR
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 10, 2013 16:47 |  #5

I loved the smell of a Polaroid photo.

Sony a9II

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,068 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2013 06:44 |  #6

Just a note that is not an 8mm Video camera. That is an 8mm (I think) Cine Camera, big difference! Looking at it, it looks to be Standard 8 which used 25 foot rolls of 16mm film, you ran it one way through the camera to expose one half. At the end of the roll you then had to take the film out and reverse the spools and run the film back through the camera to expose the other half of the film. You then sent your film off to be processed, well you did if you used Kodachrome, which was the predominant stock available when I was shooting it in the 70's. It came back as a 50' reel, the 16mm film having been slit down the middle and spliced together as one long length. No Audio of course. If you wanted sound it was a matter of recording it separately on audio tape and trying to synchronise the playback. It was ok for adding a music backing track and commentary but not much else. I made several 10 minute or so films of air shows, I think the biggest reel you could get was about 250' that limited the run time, I guess they may still be at my mothers house, but I haven't seen them in years.

As I was using my dad's cast offs when he moved to a Sankyo Super-8 sound camera I inherited his Super-8 system, which was better as the film came in a cassette as a single 50' length and could be loaded in direct sunlight. I did also shoot with the sound camera at times but that made editing difficult as it used a magnetic stripe at the edge of the film to hold the single sound channel, and the record/read head was about 2" from the film gate, so you had to transfer the audio to a tape system, then edit both the sound and the film, then rerecord the sound track back onto the film. Even so you still got a blip on the audio track on playback when magnetic strip was interrupted by a splice of the film. What was worse was the audio blip would be a few seconds from the cut.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Ianfp
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 11, 2013 06:58 |  #7

I loved those Polaroid cameras and still have two, but never managed to get that model!

Ian
Nikon D850, 85mm f/1.4G
5D2
EF17-40 f/4.0 L, EF135 f/2.0L EF200 f/2.8L

EF24-105L, EF100 f/2.8L Macro. EOS-M, 22mm f/2
Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f/2.8

Luxornv
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 11, 2013 19:18 |  #8

BigAl007 wrote in post #15597370 (external link)
Just a note that is not an 8mm Video camera. That is an 8mm (I think) Cine Camera, big difference! Looking at it, it looks to be Standard 8 which used 25 foot rolls of 16mm film, you ran it one way through the camera to expose one half. At the end of the roll you then had to take the film out and reverse the spools and run the film back through the camera to expose the other half of the film. You then sent your film off to be processed, well you did if you used Kodachrome, which was the predominant stock available when I was shooting it in the 70's. It came back as a 50' reel, the 16mm film having been slit down the middle and spliced together as one long length. No Audio of course. If you wanted sound it was a matter of recording it separately on audio tape and trying to synchronise the playback. It was ok for adding a music backing track and commentary but not much else. I made several 10 minute or so films of air shows, I think the biggest reel you could get was about 250' that limited the run time, I guess they may still be at my mothers house, but I haven't seen them in years.

As I was using my dad's cast offs when he moved to a Sankyo Super-8 sound camera I inherited his Super-8 system, which was better as the film came in a cassette as a single 50' length and could be loaded in direct sunlight. I did also shoot with the sound camera at times but that made editing difficult as it used a magnetic stripe at the edge of the film to hold the single sound channel, and the record/read head was about 2" from the film gate, so you had to transfer the audio to a tape system, then edit both the sound and the film, then rerecord the sound track back onto the film. Even so you still got a blip on the audio track on playback when magnetic strip was interrupted by a splice of the film. What was worse was the audio blip would be a few seconds from the cut.

Alan

Thank you! I wasn't entirely sure what that one was and haven't had a chance to research it in too much detail yet.

I'll post pictures of the other camera soon. It's another Revere, 35mm film I thin.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Luxornv
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 23, 2013 18:24 |  #9

I bought a pack of film for the SX-70 because I couldn't resist having this and not using it. The camera still works perfectly and I was able to get a decent shot of my car with this. However, the exposures seem to have more of a sepia tone to them than I anticipated. Still fun to shoot with this though.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

sponsored links

2,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Acquired a Polaroid SX-70
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.