Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 09:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Chromakey green values

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2013 09:12 |  #1

I purchased a 5x7 collapsible chromakey green backdrop and am having the hardest time with it. Come to find out that it is not a true chromakey green (from other articles I have read). The software I am using does not recognize it much because of the color. Green Wizard Pro support told me the RGB values their software recognizes and I go into replace color and put in the values and that messes things up even more for their software. So I use the color values from a muslin green screen I have (from previous shoots) but the green looks nothing like the image I took the values from. Why is it when I put in the RGB values of one screen color into another they look nothing alike but all have the same values. I am thinking of selling it because I cannot get anything to work right. So what should the RGB values be of a true chromakey green background and when I buy a collapsible one how am I to know it is a true color that will work. The other softare I am using is the easygreenscreenn plugin and the author said it is not a true green for his software to work with.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 16, 2013 10:50 |  #2

An image is always helpful, & I'm wondering how evenly the light on the backdrop is? These might help:

Green backdrop

Includes: links to $.50 processing: Using a Green Screen Backdrop. Good or Bad?
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=825154
Using a Green Screen Backdrop. Good or Bad?

Green Screen Product Photography?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2013 11:57 |  #3

My chromakey green muslin 10x20 I have no problem with at all. I got the collapsible so when I go into peoples homes or on location I can do a few green screen shots there. I am not lighting the background separately (not much room in peoples homes or trailers) and plus, I was told NOT to light it separately by the makers of Green Wizard Pro, so it is just lit by the bouncing flash I do..here is a sample image. Had 2 vivitar 283's bouncing off the walls,ceiling behind me. I have used 3 studio strobes with my muslin (still not using a separate light for the background) with no problems or even 2 strobes in big buildings and schools...but this collapsible is darker so I am at a loss. I have tried the replace color feature in CS6 and brightened the green up to 255 value as I have read before but that 255 is brighter than some other 255 green backgrounds.
Is there a true setting I can brighten it up to or should I just send it back because it is too dark of a green.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,106 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 16, 2013 14:03 |  #4

Your keying software does not permit you to select the key and the range of luma+chroma around that key? Seems that that is part of the problem.

kirk

Kirk
---

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2013 14:11 |  #5

kirkt wrote in post #15616824 (external link)
Your keying software does not permit you to select the key and the range of luma+chroma around that key? Seems that that is part of the problem.

kirk

Ok..what software would you recommend? I use Green Wizard Pro and the free photoshop plugin of the easy green screen. I can work with spill with those with no problem but keying out the green is automatic..I have no control over the ranges, seems like all that is built in. Even the pro version of easygreenscreen doesn't let you into the range part..so what software would you recommend?
On those software I just click a button and it processes automatically and gives me the result..the only thing I can do is work with any spill which is easy but that is all I can do. On the easy green screen site, I read the info about their pro version and it says it will handle ranges from 70 to 280 automatically and has all kinds of pictures of what it can handle. I downloaded the demo version and trying to extract all this automatically was a disaster..no reply yet from the makers of both programs.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,106 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 16, 2013 16:14 |  #6

I'm afraid the only keying I've done is in After Effects, using plug-ins Keylight and Magic Bullet Colorista II. That probably does not help you at all, but they are very versatile keyers and matte extractors.

I know that OnOne makes a product called Perfect Mask - I have never used it, but I know people who have great success with it. It is a plug-in for Lightroom, Photoshop and Aperture as well as a stand-alone app. It would be more versatile than a dedicated green key extractor. I do not know if it handles spill.

http://www.ononesoftwa​re.com/products/perfec​t-mask/ (external link)

Good luck,

kirk

Kirk
---

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2013 17:50 |  #7

kirkt wrote in post #15617208 (external link)
I'm afraid the only keying I've done is in After Effects, using plug-ins Keylight and Magic Bullet Colorista II. That probably does not help you at all, but they are very versatile keyers and matte extractors.

I know that OnOne makes a product called Perfect Mask - I have never used it, but I know people who have great success with it. It is a plug-in for Lightroom, Photoshop and Aperture as well as a stand-alone app. It would be more versatile than a dedicated green key extractor. I do not know if it handles spill.

http://www.ononesoftwa​re.com/products/perfec​t-mask/ (external link)

Good luck,

kirk

Oh wow..I love it..I'll check it out and I'll check out AFter Effects also. Anything has got to be better. I tried this evening Vertus Fluid Mask and it isn't as easy to blend hair and removing spill from hair as the video says..
thanks for your replies.

wcameron
527 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 18, 2013 00:30 |  #8

Check out Photokey 5 at http://******/hNJGT. It's a very versatile green screen program. I haven't tried it to much yet but it has some really great features.

Ward
http://Facebook.com/Wa​rdCameronPhotography (external link)

Canon EOS 5Ds, Canon EOS 6D, Rebel XTi, Sony RX100, GoPro Hero 6, Sony A6000, Sony RX100 viii

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 19, 2013 15:25 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #9

Love Perfect Mask. Thank you.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 19, 2013 15:53 |  #10

wcameron wrote in post #15622313 (external link)
Check out Photokey 5 at http://******/hNJGT. It's a very versatile green screen program. I haven't tried it to much yet but it has some really great features.

I like the features, just took a little look at it and tried it..but I see no place for edge smoothing or feathering and the spill removal doesn't work all the way..moved the slider all the way over and I still have spill and the edges of the people are so crisp, no feathering or smoothing..people can tell it was a cutout. Perfect Mask is a lot better. Green Wizard Pro at least has a feature to go over the edges and it smooths them and just paint over the hair and all spill is gone.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,106 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 19, 2013 16:16 |  #11

Shooting wrote in post #15628732 (external link)
Love Perfect Mask. Thank you.

Right on - post an example here so we can all see how it works.

kirk

Kirk
---

wcameron
527 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 19, 2013 22:37 |  #12

Hi Shooting. Thanks for the feedback. I have both Perfect Mask and PhotoKey 5 but haven't had a chance to really dig through them. One thing that the On-One seems to lack is any form of automation or batch processing. it seems more oriented to non-green screen type images as opposed to standard green screen background replacement purposes. I may be speaking through my hat though so I appreciate your feedback having used Perfect Mask more than I have.

Ward

Canon EOS 5Ds, Canon EOS 6D, Rebel XTi, Sony RX100, GoPro Hero 6, Sony A6000, Sony RX100 viii

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 20, 2013 09:03 |  #13

wcameron wrote in post #15630297 (external link)
Hi Shooting. Thanks for the feedback. I have both Perfect Mask and PhotoKey 5 but haven't had a chance to really dig through them. One thing that the On-One seems to lack is any form of automation or batch processing. it seems more oriented to non-green screen type images as opposed to standard green screen background replacement purposes. I may be speaking through my hat though so I appreciate your feedback having used Perfect Mask more than I have.

If you want batch processing then Green Wizard Pro has a great batch processing part. Trouble with it is if you have any green spill or need any adjustments then you are up the creek without a paddle but if all is ok, it is great for batch processing and it does have a demo for you to try.

wcameron
527 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 21, 2013 07:29 |  #14

Photokey 5 is also very suited to batch processing for shooting green screen at events.

Ward

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 21, 2013 18:22 |  #15

wcameron wrote in post #15635175 (external link)
Photokey 5 is also very suited to batch processing for shooting green screen at events.

Does it do good at extracting all the green automatically, even the spill on the hair?

The few I tried needed extensive green from hair edges removed because it was not good enough on it's own to do it automatically in batch mode.

sponsored links

5,400 views & 0 likes for this thread
Chromakey green values
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.