Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 16 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ID help on a duck - possible hybrid

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 16, 2013 17:05 |  #1

We have a pond in the back yard here in snowy Massachusetts. Because there's a few square yards of open water where springs feed fresh water into the pond, several dozen mallards have chosen to spend a cold winter here instead of going south. My neighbor and I have been throwing cracked corn into our yards to keep the birds alive this winter. This morning after throwing corn onto the snow and watching the mad feeding frenzy from the comfort of our warm kitchen, our granddaughter noticed that one of the ducks was different from all the other mallards. I got this shot of the interloper before the flock spooked and flew back into the water. Any thoughts on what it is?

My wife read on Wikipedia that mallards have been hybridizing with many other kinds of ducks, and have been known to cross-breed with as many as 60 other species. This one has the bright yellow bill of a male mallard, but none of the other obvious markings Our best guess is a hybrid mallard-American black duck. Any other suggestions?

7D, 100-400L at 400mm, 1/320 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400

IMAGE: http://mat99.ath.cx/potn/NewDuckS.jpg

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

Shackleton
961 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 16, 2013 17:44 |  #2

Looks like an eclipsed mallard drake transitioning back into breeding colors, or for some reason going back into eclipse now. Could possibly be a hybrid with a black duck.

edit-I googled mallard/black duck hybrid. I'm sure that's what you have based on results. Interesting catch, nice to see a hybrid that's less likely to be a result of human impact-both mallards and black ducks have similar ranges and habits. I've also seen what looked to be mallard/pintail hybrids but long before I was into photography.

lhoy
949 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 17, 2013 23:50 |  #3

Yes, definitely a Mallard - American Black Duck hybrid, saw a ton in Newfoundland on recent trip.

http://www.tourbigbend​.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

472 views & 0 likes for this thread
ID help on a duck - possible hybrid
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.