Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 17:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cokin P system question

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 16, 2013 17:35 |  #1

I searched it up on Google and watched some YouTube videos on it but couldn't find the answer.

Currently most of my wides are on cheap lenses where the front element moves and I was wondering how this affected the system, can you turn the filters freely? or do you have to loosen something first to rotate them? (planning to use grad filters for landscape type work)

I do have one wide where it doesn't rotate(28mm 2.5), so if need be I can get by with that before upgrading lenses.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 16, 2013 19:44 |  #2

The Cokin P filter holder can be rotated to however it's needed with out need for loosening anything. So a rotating front element will not effect it at all

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 16, 2013 19:50 |  #3

Thanks! :D

Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 16, 2013 21:02 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Try focusing prior to adjusting the grad. This can prove nerve-wracking if you're focusing manually.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 16, 2013 21:24 |  #5

Thanks for the tip! That's what I do now with my CPL but most of the time it ends up turning the focusing ring so I have to refocus again afterwards. Which is fine with a CPL but when I stack ND filters it wont focus because it's not getting enough light.

So hopefully the Cokin kit will the cure, focus the lens adjust the holder and drop in the filters :)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 16, 2013 21:30 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

If you haven't purchased the filter system, you might opt for the Z Pro instead, as it supports wider lenses. Then again, it depends on which camera you're shooting with: in a cropped-factor camera you might not see the benefit, but who knows? For the record, I've gotten vignetting from the filter holder (Z Pro) when shooting @ 17mm on a full frame camera; I can only imagine what I'd get with the P version.

Consider your purchase seriously. A filter system is a very good investment. These filters are not only for landscapes, I've used them in architectural photography to reduce the intensity of ceiling lights (1-stop soft-grad ND).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 16, 2013 22:04 |  #7

I'm on a crop body, but plan on upgrading to a 6D soon. But even then I'd be happy in the 28-35mm range, don't think I'll ever need UWA on FF.

I didn't even think to use them indoors! thanks for that tip, I mostly just need ND filters for video work and the gradual ones for landscapes.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2013 09:49 |  #8

Certainly for shooting stills if you have a lens with a rotating front, using back button focus can help. Get the focus sorted and then the motor will help to lock the front in position while you are adjusting the filter angle. If you are manual focusing you can flip the switch to AF to get the same effect, and of course you can also fire the shutter with the focus fixed.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2013 16:26 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #15623174 (external link)
Certainly for shooting stills if you have a lens with a rotating front, using back button focus can help. Get the focus sorted and then the motor will help to lock the front in position while you are adjusting the filter angle. If you are manual focusing you can flip the switch to AF to get the same effect, and of course you can also fire the shutter with the focus fixed.

Alan

Thanks for the tips!

Got the filter holder today, I had some ND8 filters that I purchased for my camcorder and luckily they fit the P system :D

I also placed an order for some HiTech ND gradients(or gradual) whatever you call them.

IMAGE: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7233/sany3388.jpg

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 25, 2013 17:14 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Gradual. :)

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2013 17:15 |  #11

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 25, 2013 19:55 |  #12

The actual term for GND's is graduated. Graduated netrual density

Also I have HiTech filter and they are not "neutral". They do give a magenta color cast.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 25, 2013 20:05 |  #13

gremlin75 wrote in post #15651973 (external link)

Also I have HiTech filter and they are not "neutral". They do give a magenta color cast.

Is the cast consistent that is easy enough to adjust out through presets with something like lightroom, or is it highly variable in intensity based on what you're shooting?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

maverick75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2013 20:34 |  #14

gremlin75 wrote in post #15651973 (external link)

ah shoot, well if I don't like them I can just return them. Do you of any who don't have any color cast?

The ones I have now don't have any but I don't know the brand, they were just generics from amazon.

If it's easily fixable in post then no real problem(I have LR and PS)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 25, 2013 20:57 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

The corrector stands corrected. :o

sponsored links

2,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cokin P system question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.