Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 18 Feb 2013 (Monday) 03:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DigitalRev busted selling used cameras sold as new

g0bl0k
552 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 18, 2013 12:11 as a reply to  @ post 15623571 |  #16

If you're in the US, why would you purchase from DigitalRev anyway? You have so many choices from amazon, b&h, adorama, tigerdirect, etc. and all those are authorized dealers. I just don't get it. Especially in terms of customer service, I'm sure DigitalRev is nowhere close to amazon, adorama, or b&h.

Yes, I know this particular case isn't in the US. I'm just saying.

My Junk

sponsored links
D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 18, 2013 12:14 |  #17

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15622650 (external link)
I'd buy any gear that's "DigitalRev tested", you see what they do to their equipment? If that 5D survived Kai, It's good for life, IMO.

bw!:lol::lol::lol:

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,114 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 18, 2013 12:36 |  #18

h14nha wrote in post #15623516 (external link)
Perhaps you'd like to buy my 3 year old, like new 7d, for the cost of a new one....... Then again, perhaps you wouldn't. People should be angry. Too many people are corrupt these days, don't tell me it's an honest mistake. They've been caught out doing what they've done before and had previously got away with.
I was suspicious about them when I read the saga of the serial numbers recently. I didnt like the way they dealt with the complaint. Now I will never purchase from them. I like DRTV, I'm a member on their site, but, just because Kai is a humorous cheeky chappy type doesn't mean DigitalRev aren't corrupt. I'm not that easily pacified........... If you want to spend your hard earned there feel free, I won't take that chance :D

The people actually affected by their practices have a right to be angry. The rest of the population has a right to be cautious.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 18, 2013 12:45 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15623181 (external link)
Like anything else, the amount of knee-jerk angered reactions and anecdotal what-if stories is running rampant. Let's just keep some sort of reason-ability and common sense to this issue. Cameras were sold as new that weren't, they were caught, and they will make good with replacements. That is the extent of this story, nothing more. Things happen, life moves on, people are far from perfect, and about every other cliche applies here. :)

It's not like war crimes were committed, but certainly one should think before ordering from that company in the future.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 18, 2013 12:52 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #20

This validates me wanting to punch this annoying perv in his ridiculous looking face! So messed up!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 18, 2013 12:56 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15623740 (external link)
The people actually affected by their practices have a right to be angry. The rest of the population has a right to be cautious.

Bingo! I think Team Speed's comment sums it up best.

Bryan

My Gear List

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2013 12:57 |  #22

andrikos wrote in post #15623571 (external link)
Funny review videos though...

And the hot ladies... DRev's reputation as a camera resource won't be ailed as long as they'll still rack up millions of views by putting tits in their video thumbnails.

Nikon 85mm 1.8G review. I don't remember anything they said about the lens in that video.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 18, 2013 13:17 |  #23

JJD.Photography wrote in post #15623785 (external link)
This validates me wanting to punch this annoying perv in his ridiculous looking face! So messed up!

So, now we know you are rather messed up.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,114 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 18, 2013 15:13 |  #24

JJD.Photography wrote in post #15623785 (external link)

Different divisions, if you read the articles. DigitalRev is an online store, and there is a separate DigitalRevTV group that will borrow equipment from the stock of DigitalRev to do their reviews and then they bring that equipment back, and it is to go into a different sales rotation. At least this is how I read the article.

"The practice in the past is that if we have to loan something to DigtialRev TV, it is either written off (and thereby become DRTV’s equipment) or sold to third party companies for clearance afterwards," the company wrote.

"It is definitely not DigitalRev Online Store's police to allow any loan product to DRTV to be recirculated back into the store's logistic flow, especially as it doesn’t make sense to risk damaging our reputation when we could have sold them to third party companies at cost with the conditions of the product clearly stated."

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 18, 2013 15:39 |  #25

andrikos wrote in post #15623571 (external link)
Let's just say that the evidence is pointing to DigitalRev not caring that much about it.

I don't know how you can say that. They say they have a policy in place to prevent this sort of thing. Their internal investigation turned up three instances of this happening and it would appear that only one of the purchasers of these three cameras was aware of a problem yet the company contacted the other two unaware purchasers to offer them a replacement camera or a refund. I don't know what else they could do to show they care about their customers.

Seems to me I recall similar threads regarding B&H, Adorama, and other well known companies. These sorts of things happen to the best companies. It's what actions the company takes to remedy the situation and to prevent future occurrences that matters. Seems to me DigitalRev did it right.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 18, 2013 15:39 |  #26

pwm2 wrote in post #15623890 (external link)
So, now we know you are rather messed up.

I can't stand his profanity or speech either... He used to be funny. :(

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

MsKutispwet
118 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 18, 2013 15:48 |  #27

i won't buy from them but will keep watching DRTV

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 18, 2013 16:07 |  #28

GaryS1964 wrote in post #15624464 (external link)
Seems to me I recall similar threads regarding B&H, Adorama, and other well known companies. These sorts of things happen to the best companies. It's what actions the company takes to remedy the situation and to prevent future occurrences that matters. Seems to me DigitalRev did it right.

Well remember that Internet is the license for lots of people to find thousands of problems to make their own and debate madly as if they are personally suffering.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

DigitalSoCal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 18, 2013 17:52 |  #29

Here is their response. Seems more than fair to me...

Dear Rob,

I’m heading the marketing and PR for DigitalRev Online Store. Thank you for your patience while we conduct our internal audit.

As mentioned in my colleague’s last email, the equipment used by DRTV’s production team comes from a number of sources such as: press units, display units from distributors, partners, rental companies as well as units donated by or borrowed from the DigitalRev Online Store. I would like to emphasise that it is not our policy to sell equipment that was lent to DRTV in our Online Store. How it usually works is that the equipment used would be either sold to third party companies or written off as DRTV equipment.

During the last couple of days, we have looked into logs as well as our sample photos to see if there have been any violation of the policy. We now know that at the time of the production, the DRTV team was only assigned one 5D Mark III camera (for Lok). Although Kai does have his own 5D Mark III, he sometimes forgets to bring it. When the extra 5D Mark III camera was lent to DRTV, it was at a point decided it will be kept by DRTV for future use instead of returning it to the online store. However we discovered that the supervisor of the logistic department, realising the camera was out of stock, decided to recall that camera from DRTV without the acknowledgement of the management.

We have an internal performance indicator called CED Score (CED stands for “Customer Expect Delivery by”), and it is used across the logistic department. If a customer’s order gets delayed, the CED score is negatively affected. This performance indicator is directly linked to the logistic team’s annual performance appraisal, so everyone works very hard to make sure orders get delivered to customers quickly. When the 5D camera went out of stock on that day, the supervisor decided to get one back from DRTV despite that the camera has been used in two videos. One less delayed order means higher CED score, and little did the management know that a performance indicator designed to encourage best shopping experience has created a very negative one. Although the camera had only been used to take about two dozen shots, I agree that the way it was used on the YouTube show is definitely not something you should witness. From the audit, we have also identified two other similar violations of policy. One of the other two customers have contacted us after reading your story, and we are going to contact the other one today or early tomorrow to recall their cameras.

Although what we have discovered so far are a few isolated violations of internal policy, we take this matter extremely seriously. Warnings have been issued to the persons who violated the policy, but more important we have made it the management’s top priority to make sure more trainings are provided and no further violation is going to happen. A job position has been posted on JobsDB.com today to hire an internal auditor who will ensure internal compliance of the operation. I wish to emphasise that DigitalRev Online Store does not deal with used or refurbished products, and we value the trust our customers have placed in us. We sincerely apologise to you for what has happened this time. Going forward we’ll also make sure that the third party companies we deal with abide the same high standard we set for ourselves.

To rectify the inconvenience caused we would like to propose a number of solutions for you to choose from:
1) You may return the camera to us for a full refund. We’ll send a courier to collect.
2) You may return the camera to us for a replacement. We’ll send a courier to collect.
3) If you chose to keep the camera, you may choose product(s) on DigitalRev Online Store for a sum up to £600. We can send you a cash voucher, or you can simply let me know by email and they’ll be on their way to you.

Last but not least, I wish to again apologise to you for the inconvenience we have caused you. And more importantly I wish to thank you for helping us becoming a better company in the process. You said that you wish to see DigitalRev goes strength to strength, and we truly appreciate your support. Instead of discrediting us, you are genuinely interested in helping us becoming a better company – for that we are very grateful.

Yours sincerely,

—- —-
Marketing & PR
DigitalRev Online Store

--Jonny--
60D, 18-135, 430EXII, and several voice-activated light stands

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 18, 2013 18:00 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #30

Hate to say it but this is a common practice with most retailers in Asia. If they can get away with selling a used/returned/refurb item as new they will. There's no enforcement there like the FTC or Attorney General. When I lived in Seoul, I had experiences where the seller tried to sell me a refurb as new or swapped out the factory battery for a generic one.

Do anyone really think all the equipment Kai uses in his review are loaners or sold as used? I would not be surprised if Digitalrev repackages everything and sells it as new, but were just happened to get caught by someone who did his homework.

sponsored links

5,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
DigitalRev busted selling used cameras sold as new
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.