Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Feb 2013 (Monday) 09:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24L II or Zeiss 21mm ZE for landscapes

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 18, 2013 09:40 |  #1

Another which lens to get question. My next lens purchase will be either the Canon 24L II or Zeiss 21mm ZE. It will primarily be used for landscapes, quite a bit at night. Which one should I get and why? I am leaning towards the Zeiss, from everything I heard it is the premier landscape lens, what do you all think?

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

sponsored links
tsdevine
274 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 18, 2013 10:49 |  #2

Love my Zeiss 21mm ZE for landscapes....don't shoot much at night though and I've never shot the 24L II. For landscape work, many will swear by the 17 TS-E and 24 TS-E II.

-Tim

Tim Devine Photography (external link) | Gear List

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 18, 2013 11:23 |  #3

I'm a landscape shooter and I've owned the ZE21, 24L II and 24 TS-e...here are my thoughts on it, YMMV.

The ZE21 is a phenomenal lens for landscapes. The 21mm FOV is about perfect for me - I never feel like I need wider, it is extremely sharp, great contrast, and built like a tank. I truly have a soft spot for this lens and if you go this route, you won't be disappointed. The experience of using it and out of camera IQ are both fantastic.

The 24 TS-e II frequently makes me feel like I need to stich images to get the FOV I want which is some added work in the field and in post processing. However, the tilt/shift movements are almost indinspensible once you've tried them and the IQ is very good. Shifted panos, true/straight vertical lines and tilting for critical near-to-far focus offer nearly infinite possibilites.

The 24L is the ultimate nightscape/starscape lens. It is sharper than the ZE21 at f2.8 and has less vignetting, plus you have the option of opening up to 1.4 to really pull in light and/or shorten your exposure times. Of course, I mentioned 24mm is a little tight for me and the 24L lacks the ability of doing shifted panos like the TS-e or having an acceptable native FOV like the ZE21, so this is a drawback for me. But, the 24L has the additional benefit of being very useful in day-to-day non-landscape shooting whereas the other two are more often just dedicated landscape lenses. I've found 24mm on FF @ f1.4 is more useful than you might think for family, museum and just day-to-day shots - plus it approximates a 35mm FOV on a crop camera so it could do double duty for you. Maybe you'd find you wouldnt need the Sig 35 any longer and the funds could be used elsewhere.

So, even though I absolutely love the ZE21, I've sold it for the 24 TS-e and plan to add another 24L II in the near future. Although the ZE21 does what it does VERY well and I probably like it better than the other two on an emotional level, the other two lenses do something functional that the ZE21 simply cannot (speed or movements). I'd love to have all 3, but as long as I am budget limited, I would prefer the two with more functional benefits. If I were you, I would also be deciding between these two and weigh the costs and benefits of each for your own uses.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Gallery: 1000 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 18, 2013 11:51 |  #4

MNUplander wrote in post #15623488 (external link)
I'm a landscape shooter and I've owned the ZE21, 24L II and 24 TS-e...here are my thoughts on it, YMMV.

The ZE21 is a phenomenal lens for landscapes. The 21mm FOV is about perfect for me - I never feel like I need wider, it is extremely sharp, great contrast, and built like a tank. I truly have a soft spot for this lens and if you go this route, you won't be disappointed. The experience of using it and out of camera IQ are both fantastic.

The 24 TS-e II frequently makes me feel like I need to stich images to get the FOV I want which is some added work in the field and in post processing. However, the tilt/shift movements are almost indinspensible once you've tried them and the IQ is very good. Shifted panos, true/straight vertical lines and tilting for critical near-to-far focus offer nearly infinite possibilites.

The 24L is the ultimate nightscape/starscape lens. It is sharper than the ZE21 at f2.8 and has less vignetting, plus you have the option of opening up to 1.4 to really pull in light and/or shorten your exposure times. Of course, I mentioned 24mm is a little tight for me and the 24L lacks the ability of doing shifted panos like the TS-e or having an acceptable native FOV like the ZE21, so this is a drawback for me. But, the 24L has the additional benefit of being very useful in day-to-day non-landscape shooting whereas the other two are more often just dedicated landscape lenses. I've found 24mm on FF @ f1.4 is more useful than you might think for family, museum and just day-to-day shots - plus it approximates a 35mm FOV on a crop camera so it could do double duty for you. Maybe you'd find you wouldnt need the Sig 35 any longer and the funds could be used elsewhere.

So, even though I absolutely love the ZE21, I've sold it for the 24 TS-e and plan to add another 24L II in the near future. Although the ZE21 does what it does VERY well and I probably like it better than the other two on an emotional level, the other two lenses do something functional that the ZE21 simply cannot (speed or movements). I'd love to have all 3, but as long as I am budget limited, I would prefer the two with more functional benefits. If I were you, I would also be deciding between these two and weigh the costs and benefits of each for your own uses.

Awesome post, perfectly delineated run-down of these 3 amazing lenses! I sweat the Zeiss 21: of all the Zeiss lenses I see samples from, I feel that it produces the best "Zeiss micro contrast" look. I really, really want it, but I hold the same mindset as MNUplander, that the 24 f/1.4 ends up being the much more versatile lens, and as such has cemented it's spot in my lineup.

Someday, when I have loose change lying around, I will own the Zeiss 21 :cool:

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 18, 2013 18:58 |  #5

jkokbaker wrote in post #15623146 (external link)
Another which lens to get question. My next lens purchase will be either the Canon 24L II or Zeiss 21mm ZE. It will primarily be used for landscapes, quite a bit at night. Which one should I get and why? I am leaning towards the Zeiss, from everything I heard it is the premier landscape lens, what do you all think?

1. 24 T&S II
2. Zeiss 21mm or 24-70 2.8 II
3. 24 1.4 II

For landscape usage the 24-70 II basically delivers about the same edge to edge sharpness and actually has less PF on branches against bright sky.

I originally got the 24 1.4 II because the 24-70 I and 24-105 and so on didn't quite cut it at 24mm for landscapes IMO but I just sold the 24 1.4 II and got a 24-70 II and I can't say I miss the 24 1.4 II, the zoomability gives you more flexibility too!

I actually use a 70-200/300L as much as for landscapes as a standard zoom or wide prime so don't forget about long end too.

The samyang 14mm is a relatively inexpensive way to add something insanely wide, sharp edge to edge on FF.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 18, 2013 19:05 |  #6

I love both lenses and I couldn't go without either one bcoz' they both have special characteristics. :)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 18, 2013 20:24 |  #7

I went with the 24tse because of the movements.

24-70mkII is apparently as good as the 24L at 2.8 so if your not shooting wide open get the zoom?

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

jkokbaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 18, 2013 22:34 |  #8

Maybe wait for the Rokinon 24mm TSE, out in middle of April, only $999 which is considerably less than all the other options

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

shadowcat
855 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 22, 2013 14:49 |  #9

I have the Zeiss 21 2.8 and am about to trade it, It takes really nice pictures when you get it focused the problem is I have a hard time focusing it so I'm looking in to replacement lens like the 16-35 2.8, the 24 1.4, 24 2.8 IS, and maybe the 14 2.8 I had a 27-70 before and hated it and had a 17-40 it was a nice lens but I wanted something faster. Lens decisions are so hard LOL.

Canon 5D MK2 with grip,7D w/grip,G1x,300mm 2.8is, 35 1.4L, 24-70 2.8II, 85 1.8, 70-200L 2.8 is, 100L macro, 2x& 1.4 tele, canon pro9000 printer, 600ex-rt,580ex 2 flash, macro flash
my photo's http://s335.photobucke​t.com/albums/m476/oneb​adkitty1969/ (external link)

markweaver
458 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 22, 2013 15:39 as a reply to  @ shadowcat's post |  #10

Another thing the Zeiss is stellar (no pun intended) at for night shooting is focus. Many autofocus lenses are a little sloppy at the infinity end. I have had to do a lot of hunting for good infinity focus when shooting manual focus at night. With the Zeiss 21, I turn the ring to infinity and it is dead on. I have not shot the 24L but I love the ZE and it is my go to lens for wide night shooting.

Mark
XTi | 5D MkII | Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon | Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 Flektogon | 24-105 L | 70-200L f4 | 10-22 f3.5-5.6 | 50 f1.4 | Samyang 14mm | 24mm f/2.8 | Sigma 15mm Fishy
www.flickr.com/photos/​marksweaver/ (external link)

sponsored links

5,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24L II or Zeiss 21mm ZE for landscapes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.